The New English Footy Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought Sendoras was brilliant at the back for Arsenal, as was flamini. However our experienced players - cole, freddie, bergkamp, vieira etc were no more than average. As for Reyes.. useless. Dont think he will make it in PL which is a shame as the boy has great potential.. maybe not cut out for English football

Party Boy said:
Thought Sendoras was brilliant at the back for Arsenal, as was flamini. However our experienced players - cole, freddie, bergkamp, vieira etc were no more than average. As for Reyes.. useless. Dont think he will make it in PL which is a shame as the boy has great potential.. maybe not cut out for English football

There might be some good that comes out of this season if it prompt's a clear out and reorganisation of the side.

There's no tournament this summer so plenty of time to be doing things. A figure of sixty million was banded about for spending this summer in last weeks papers which might not be that daft, if only Wenger gets a moderate amount to spend plus whatever is recouped from sales.

Let's assume that Arsenal hold Chelsea to ransom over Cole there's £25 million, they get £10 million for Reyes from Madrid there's £35 million without having lifted a finger. It could be much more if anybody was prepared to touch Viera but I don't think they will be.

Arsenal desperately need a goalkeeper, a centre back (maybe two) and a striker, they also need a shrink for Viera as someone needs to sort his head out.

I think there's a lesson to be learnt from Damien Duff: Man United and Liverpool both flirted with buying him as the release clause was widely known about but both decided that £17 million was too much. Now I know that's a lot of money but it does now appear to be great value and I know a lot of Liverpool fans who are really annoyed that they could have got him but instead the money was spent on Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou. If you're a big club it's fine to spend big on a player as long as you make sure you're getting a Duff, a Rooney, a Van Nistelrooy, a Robben, a Ronaldo or an Henry.

Bruce Rioch was fairly bold when he bought Bergkamp, it was big money for someone who had failed so miserably in Italy, however no one can deny that it paid off. Arsenal have got an embarasment of luxuries when it comes to average players and so I don't think Arsenal should be afraid of going after the Owen's or the Wright-Phillips' of this world.

i can't believe barca are still saying we didn't deserve to win the game. i find it funny that they are complaining that terry's goal shouldn't have been allowed b/c carvalho interfered with the GK and the ref didn't notice it. well i hate to break it to them but that is payback for the stupid handball penlty that was called against ferreira that got them their first goal. :madspit:

Hey tarquin,

Agree with all your points in your post. I dont think this season has been a complete disaster. We have given first team experience to some really good players who potentially can play for Arsenal and be successful for a long time - namely Clichy, Sendoras, Fabregas, Flamini, Quincy, Eboue and Hoyte while players like Van Persie, Toure and Cole will continue to develop. Hopefully Cole will stay but he is not irreplaceable as Clichy is a very good potential.

I think some of the more senior players however have had very poor seasons - Vieira in particular. Pires still scores lots of goals but he is now 31 and is not going to improve. Great player that he is, he is not irreplaceable anymore. Bergkamp is brilliant but he cannot turn it on consistently through a season - its like we wheel him out for the big games. Reyes..man, I think he is brilliant however I think moving to London is one step too far for the guy.

Anyway, i think their are very good foundations there for next season. If we have even 2 thirds the money that is being quoted in the press then we are in a good position. Ultimately its pretty much the same group of players that won the league without losing a game last season. This season we have had a lot of injuries which have not helped.

The summer should be quite interesting!

Sweet Tart said:
i can't believe barca are still saying we didn't deserve to win the game. i find it funny that they are complaining that terry's goal shouldn't have been allowed b/c carvalho interfered with the GK and the ref didn't notice it. well i hate to break it to them but that is payback for the stupid handball penlty that was called against ferreira that got them their first goal. :madspit:

Any team that goes out in such a close played game are always going to be a bit bitter.. Barcelona seem to be a bit more bitter than most!

Party Boy said:
Hey tarquin,

Agree with all your points in your post. I dont think this season has been a complete disaster. We have given first team experience to some really good players who potentially can play for Arsenal and be successful for a long time - namely Clichy, Sendoras, Fabregas, Flamini, Quincy, Eboue and Hoyte while players like Van Persie, Toure and Cole will continue to develop. Hopefully Cole will stay but he is not irreplaceable as Clichy is a very good potential.

Yeah cheers I think that's fair. When I said I thought you needed a goalkeeper, two centre backs and a striker I had assumed that Ashley Cole was gone. This is only my view but out of all your young players the one that has impressed me the most has been Clichy and I think he is pretty much ready. John Terry would not be half the player he is if he had not spent his most important years watching Desailly at close quarters and Clichy has probably been bettered from watching and competing with Cole.

I think the same may now happen with Cole as has happened with Veira: I heared a quote on the radio saying they felt Veira had, had his head turned. If the allegations are true Chelsea have behaved discracefully but Cole does seem to have willingly participated. I'd love to see him at Chelsea as he's absolutely one of my favourite players but I do feel a bit for Wayne Bridge and was hoping that the talk of Chelsea getting sensible, self-sufficient and into the black was true. This would mean a slow down on the big name arrivals and with Gerrard apparently a done deal the need for another World Class striker (Torres I hope) a move for Cole would push us into the huge spend territory even by our own recent high standards.

Arsenal can rescue their season with a win this weekend.

Last edited:
Good result for Newcastle last nite. It would be really great for them to go all the way in this one, and give them a lot more confidence. Despite what some ppl think, I reckon Souness is slowly gonna turn the team around - so trying to persuade Shearer to remain for 1 more season, really has to be uppermost in his plans.

Aardvark747 said:
Good result for Newcastle last nite. It would be really great for them to go all the way in this one, and give them a lot more confidence. Despite what some ppl think, I reckon Souness is slowly gonna turn the team around - so trying to persuade Shearer to remain for 1 more season, really has to be uppermost in his plans.

Not a big fan of the man or the team and despise Alan Shearer but last night was a good result against a team that played well in the Champions League and beat Liverpool. Newcastle, I've always thought, is a club that has been run very poorly from top to bottom for many years and therefore improvement is relatively straight forward.

No one seems very surprised about Keegan. Be interesting to see who they get in full time. Anyone sensible wouldn't have the job given £60 million debt and huge expectations.

I came to the realization last night watching the highlights of yesterday's matches that there are really very few English football teams that I don't hate. Tottenham Hotspur, Bolton, Wolverhampton, Milton Keynes, Rotherham, Torquay, Wrexham, Scunthorpe United...8 teams in 4 leagues.

DaveC said:
No! Those are the only teams I actually like.

Tottenham's my favorite football team, period. :madspit:

[All the Chelsea fans sing together]

"WE WON SIX-ONE, WE WON SIX-ONE, WE WON SIX-ONE AT THE LANE. WE WON SIX-ONE, WE WON SIX-ONE, WE WON-SIX ONE AT THELANE "

[All the Chelsea and Arsenal fans sing together]

"WE HATE TOTTENHAM, WE HATE TOTTENHAM."

Party Boy said:
very very proud of that chant. Actually we won the league TWICE at white hart lane, once at Liverpool and once at Man Utd. Just waiting for the opportunity to win it at Chelsea!

Keep waiting.

So...apparently now it would appear, that the 'secret' meeting between Chelsea reps and Ashley Cole those months ago, was in fact instigated by Cole himself! Not sure how much truth there is in that. We'll wait to see what Cole's reaction to it is I guess.

But that could prove very interesting anyway, by the time the transfer window opens again. If Mourinho and the rest are now, 100% against Cole, by grassing him up to the F.A, then it would seem that Cole at the Bridge next season is off the cards?:eyebrow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom