The New English Footy Discussion Thread - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2005, 08:52 AM   #76
War Child

Local Time: 02:13 PM
Just watched Jose's Carling Cup Final press conference he is in fine form I can recommend it to anyone.
It will be very interesting to see how United react to Wednesday night. They've not had many defeats in games that really matter to them this season and one of the most recent was against Portsmouth.
If United win and close the gap to six points and Chelsea lose on Sunday I think a lot of people around Stamford Bridge are going to start getting a bit nervous. (Me included)

Old 02-25-2005, 09:18 AM   #77
Refugee

6 points and then having to put up with Alex's pychological b***shit!

Old 02-25-2005, 09:24 AM   #78
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Party Boy
6 points and then having to put up with Alex's pychological b***shit!
Exactly.
They'll also be more of it because of the 50 year thing and we'll hear endlessly that Chelsea still have to go to Cold Trafford.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #79
Refugee

I think Chelsea will win the league, however as you guys still have to play at Man U, I suspect there might be a few more nervous moments before the end of season!
Old 02-26-2005, 12:33 AM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:13 AM
Another 2 dumb questions from a footy wannabe fan:

1) Why are the away kits of half the teams lemon yellow? Is there a specific reason as to why so many teams have the same colour kit as their away?

2) Can someone please explain to me all this relegation/promotion stuff? I mean, I know that there's the Premiership, then Football League Champ, then League One, and League Two, but how low can teams go? Do League Two teams get relegated? To what? Is there a League Three that I don't know about? And what's the deal with calling the Division One league League Champ, and the Division Two and Three leagues Leagues One and Two?
Old 02-26-2005, 01:28 AM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

1) Why are the away kits of half the teams lemon yellow?

So true!
Old 02-26-2005, 03:49 AM   #82
Banned

Why does fowler suck? Why can't he be good like he used too?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:32 AM   #83
War Child

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pero
1/4 finals-Lyon vs. Barca
-Arsenal vs. Porto
-Liverpool vs. Milan
-Psv vs. Juve
my predictions

Inter v Porto (1-1) - The San Siro is an intimidating stadium, Inter play very well there, and Porto is not half the team it was a year ago. I really think Inter will advance to the quarters....

Chelsea v Barcelona (1-2) - I cannot see Chelsea shutting out Barcelona in London, Rijkaard's men have to much attacking prowess. Barcelona to advance.....

Juventus v Real Madrid (0-1) - Real will score at the D'ell Alpi, and Juve is not good enough at the moment to score 3. Real to advance.....

Leverkusen v Liverpool (1-3) - Berbatov of course is a huge threat but the Germans need to attack from the start, that will enable Liverpool to hit them on the break. The boys from Anfield should go through.......

Lyon v Bremen (3-0) - The one tie that is truly dead and buried......

Monaco v PSV - I fancy the French, Saviola and Kallon are real talents. PSV seem to be the weakest team left..........

Arsenal v Bayern Munich (1-3) - Campbell out is a body blow. Even if Arsenal do score twice, it is highly unlikely that they can shut out the Bavarians. I think Bayern will qualify, and they will do it easily.........

AC Milan v Manchester United (1-0) - Once again the standout fixture for me! I used my brains for the last 7 so i will go with my heart on this one. United will win 2-1 at the San Siro and advance by virtue of the away goals rule.......
Old 02-26-2005, 07:16 AM   #84
Refugee

truly frustrated with the Arsenal game today. Yet another cock up by our goalie at yet another corner. We could and should have won by 3. Just not happening at moment.... aaarrrgggghhhhh
Old 02-26-2005, 07:27 AM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

1) Why are the away kits of half the teams lemon yellow? Is there a specific reason as to why so many teams have the same colour kit as their away?

2) Can someone please explain to me all this relegation/promotion stuff? I mean, I know that there's the Premiership, then Football League Champ, then League One, and League Two, but how low can teams go? Do League Two teams get relegated? To what? Is there a League Three that I don't know about? And what's the deal with calling the Division One league League Champ, and the Division Two and Three leagues Leagues One and Two?
1) Coincidence. Teams that play at home in yellow, however, are all evil and should be avoided, especially if their name starts with 'N' and ends with an 'Orwich'.

2) The Football League is made up of 92 clubs (20 in the Premiership, 24 each in the Championship, League One and League Two). At the end of each season the bottom three teams in the Premier League are relegated into the Championship, and their place in the top flight is taken by the top two teams of the Championship plus the play-off winners. The play-off involves the teams placed third to fifth in the Championship. There are play-off semis involving the four teams, which are played on a home and away basis with aggregate scores calculated at the end of both ties, the two winners meeting in a final at Wembley (or Cardiff, as it is now). The winner of that match goes on to the Premiership.

This process sort of repeats itself for promotion from League One to the Championship and League Two to League One (except for the last case the top three are promoted and one from the play-offs, with four relegations from League One to League Two). Is there relegation from League Two? Yes.

The Nationwide Conference is not part of the Football League - as such, it is termed 'non-league'. There's been some restructuring of sorts of the Conference recently that I'm not very clear about, but in the old system one team was relegated from League Two and one promoted from the Conference into League football, providing that club met FA ground requirements. The Conference itself is the 'Premiership' of non-league (ie. the highest level before the League itself), and hence relegation from the Conference brings us to various amateur, semi-professional regional leagues such as the Ryman League, the Isthmian League, and the Athenian League.

And as for the league names, they're due to rubbish decisions.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:27 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Party Boy
truly frustrated with the Arsenal game today. Yet another cock up by our goalie at yet another corner. We could and should have won by 3. Just not happening at moment.... aaarrrgggghhhhh
I listened to it on 5Live, didn't sound too good a day at all. I can feel ur pain Party Boy with regards to the goalie howler. We at Old Trafford no about them only too well.
It'll be interesting to see this Van Persie foul that got him sent off on t.v later.
(After watching us thrash Pompey of course!!)
Old 02-26-2005, 08:47 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Good luck to the boys in half an hour! I'll be in the pub watching us (hopefully) close the gap on Chelski to 6 points.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:47 AM   #88
Banned

Robbie Keane deserves better, He was on the bench yet agin for the spurs game.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:09 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mullen4Prez
Robbie Keane deserves better, He was on the bench yet agin for the spurs game.
I saw that...
Old 02-28-2005, 01:15 AM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Well done (i suppose) to Chelski for coming back to take the Carling Cup yesterday. I was behind Liverpool for the whole game, but deep down, I knew there was no way they'd hold on to that lead!

Good entertainment from Jose during the game too!
Poor Gerrard, the boys in Blue will be forever reminding him of this own goal incident, on the training ground next season... Oops!! Did I just say that?!

2-1 for us against Pompey. I bloody knew we would concede before being able to score a 2nd. Ferguson needs to do something about that habit of not killing games off.