The 'Neighbours' Nonsense Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallycinnamon78

New Yorker
It's confession time... about one of the daftest TV shows ever (bar El Dorado).

From around late 1987 to early 1989 I loved Neighbours, adored Kylie Minogue... who was a very cute girl next door type and not the pneumatic blow-up doll she's become now. My little sister decided she was going to marry Jason Donovan - she's changed her mind now.

I had the Neighbours annual, storybooks, and used to ring up Grundy television pretending to be an adult at the age of 9, desperately trying to get a tour of the studios.

Then Home and Away arrived in 1987. I remember a hell of a lot of fuss: it was the big bad wolf compared to nice, safe little Neighbours. How times change!

My earlier Ramsey Street memories:

Shane, Paul, Gail, Lucy (Kylie Flinker, then Sasha Close, then wooden horse Melissa Bell), Jim, Scott and Charlene - it was excusable to like Kylie then, as I was 10: there is no justification for it now whatsoever, unless you are hard of hearing or have an unhealthy appreciation for horses.

Madge, Daphne, Des, Dr someone or other, who has bright red hair... clive gibbons, I think the actor/character may have been? Jane, Mike, Mrs Mangel, Henry with the dunnybrush hair, Todd and Katie... and, of course, Helen Daniels.

My boyfriend makes me laugh - he's Australian and likes Neighbours (something not so common back in the show's earlier days), but hasn't got a clue who the hell I'm talking about when I mention the older characters who are long gone.

In 2001, I went to my university's Language Institute at lunchtime to watch some videos for an assignment. There were 21 TV/video sets in there - and ALL OF THEM, except 2, were tuned into Neighbours! Scary. Please tell me you guys have more sense than to watch it...

Washed up old Neighbours has-been Jason Donovan turned up at my uni to sing four songs to us. He charged the Student Union £10k! Even Keith Harris and Orville didn't have the gall to charge that extortionate an amount, and defunct pop band East17 played at my school, for 50p per ticket, during the height of their fame. :lol:

Last edited:
Oh my God, Sally. You've just opened a whole world of memories for me. I followed Neighbours closely over the first season (maybe the first few) and then lost track of it as the actors changed. Helen, Jim, Scott, Paul, Lucy, Madge, Max, Shane, Daphne, Des, Clive, Susan, Terry.... :love: nostalgia.

I liked how they completely changed (the original) Scott to Jason Donovan after a near drowning accident or something. :lol: Still laughing thinking about Clive Gibbons' sarcastic comments directed at Mrs. Mangel. "You look positively radiating today, Mrs. Mangel!". And remember that con-artist Zoey who Jim Robinson was in love with?

YEAH! I'd forgotten. Do you remember when Daphne died, her last words being the sappy "I love you Clarkie" to Des? Then Bronwyn the nanny turned up.

Do you remember Beverley? I think Jim married her in 1989 - she was a nurse.

I forgot Max Ramsey, Madge's brother I think?

Lou Carpenter was a hell of a lot dodgier then than he is now. I remember him relentlessly chasing Madge!

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:
YEAH! I'd forgotten. Do you remember when Daphne died, her last words being the sappy "I love you Clarkie" to Des? Then Bronwyn the nanny turned up.

Do you remember Beverley? I think Jim married her in 1989 - she was a nurse.

I forgot Max Ramsey, Madge's brother I think?

Lou Carpenter was a hell of a lot dodgier then than he is now. I remember him relentlessly chasing Madge!

Oh yeah. Daphne dies of meningitis, if I'm not mistaken. I don't remember Bronwyn or Beverley. I may have stopped watching by then. Max Ramsey was hilarious. Yes, he was Madge's bro. He was always pissed off at his son, Danny... that's right I'd forgotten about Danny. Anyway, I have this vague memory of Jim Robinson, Madge, Helen and I don't know who else are planning something behind Max's back. And Jim says to Max "I gotta go catch on some paperwork" hoping to divert his attention. Until Max catches up with all of them with an angry look on his face, going "Paperwork, eh???" :lol: I'm not sure if you remember.

One of the "old" cast has returned. I don't know which one (it might be Des) because I have never really watched the show. They were advertising it at the start of the latest season.

Tania said:
One of the "old" cast has returned. I don't know which one (it might be Des) because I have never really watched the show. They were advertising it at the start of the latest season.

Des! Really? It's been too long for me. Oh, and I just remembered. This is where I saw Guy 'Memento' Pearce for the first time. Maybe it was his debut? :shrug:

Yes, it was. Russell Crowe also had his acting debut in Neighbours. I'll say no more on that particular case.

http://www.sky.com/showbiz/article/0,,50001-1172069,00.html

Neighbours Stars Reunite

Dozens of Neighbours stars are set to reunite for the soap's 20th anniversary.

Holly Valance who played Flick Scully, Kym Valentine, who played Libby Kennedy and Mark Little, aka Joe Mangel, could all make cameo performances in July.

Bigger stars such as Kylie Minogue, Jason Donovan, Natalie Imbruglia and Guy Pearce have turned down the offer.

Others on the wish list include Daniel MacPherson (Joel Samuels), Terence Donovan (Doug Willis), Rachel Blakely (Gaby Willis), Eliza Szonert (Danni Stark), and Benji McNair (Mal Kennedy).

Also set to return to the screen are Kimberley Davies (Annalise Hartman), Melissa Bell (Lucy Robinson), Stephen Hunt (Matt Hancock), Emma Harrison (Joanna Hartman) and Nicola Charles (Sarah Beaumont).

Meanwhile, the BBC has rubbished claims that it is planning to replace the show with a new British-based soap.

The cooperation was rumoured to be ditching the Aussie soap to make way for a new homegrown show.

But a BBC spokeswoman said: "We have absolutely no plans to replace Neighbours in the foreseeable future."

She added: "It plays a very important part of the BBC1 schedules and is still very popular."

Neighbours remains the most-watched daytime soap on any channel, with seven million viewers tuning in each day.

Latest:

More Return To Neighbours

Things are looking up for the 20th anniversary episode of Neighbours, after two more former stars have confirmed they'll make an appearance.

But there's still no word about two of Ramsey Street's best exports, Kylie Minogue and Natalie Imbruglia.

However, if you spent many an afternoon of your youth fancying Henry Ramsey in his dungarees or super swot Jane Harris - then you'll be overjoyed to hear that they've both agreed to return for the special celebration episode.

Craig McLachlan, who used to play Kylie's uber curly-haired brother, Henry, quit the soap in 1989 and went on to do a stint on Home & Away.

Since then, he's appeared on UK TV in Bugs, as well as taking to London's West End in Grease but he's now looking forward to his return to Erinsborough:
Craig McLachan

Craig McLachan

"Brace yourselves for a return of the navy blue overalls," he joked. "Henry will be involved in the celebrations but at this stage, exactly how is still being worked out."

Annie Jones, who played Jane Harris in the soap and was known as Plain Jane Superbrain, has continued working in TV since leaving Neighbours in 1989.

As it stands, those already confirmed to make an appearance in the special are: Melissa Bell (Lucy Robinson), Moya O'Sullivan (Marlene Kratz), Ian Rawlings (Philip Martin), Kym Valentine (Libby Kennedy), Stephen Hunt (Matt Hancock), Jacinta Stapleton (Amy Greenwood), Delta Goodrem (Nina Tucker) and Daniel McPherson (Joel Samuels).

Nicola Charles (Sarah Beaumont) and Jesse Spencer (Billy Kennedy) are currently said to be "in negotiations".

http://www.sky.com/showbiz/article/0,,50001-1175932,00.html

Thanks for the sky link. Man, has Jason Donovan changed or what?!! There's a link for pictures of many of the stars, then and now. Did you see it?

I don't know most of those people you've talked about in those last 2 posts. :|

Now... is Harold Bishop the guy who Madge had an affair with? Or was that a Richard somebody? I used to feel so sorry for Max.

Yeah.

I can't stand Skanky Minogue these days, but I must admit, despire having become a genetically-modified mule, she looks fantastic. Whereas, looking at Jason now, it's hard to believe it's the same person.

Madge married Harold. He fell off a rock in 1991 and supposedly died.

Except, he didn't... he swam to Tasmania with amnesia, and miraculously turned up in Erinsborough once again 4 years later... as you do.

:laugh::laugh:

Neighbours has went even further down hill since the arrival of Patrick Harvey or Conor as he is known, he went to my school you know, 2 years above me but, now I'm a songwriter scrounging money of his parents and he's in Neighbours:|

Off topic again, but speaking of soap characters at school, Charlie Brooks (EastEnders' Janine) was in my best friend's class in Dolgellau. My friend reckons she was a right cow.

offtopic: Hey Sally, I vaguely remember you mentioning sometime that you're a Sinha. Indian from England? Indian in the US here. :wave:

o/t: Hey Zootlesque :)

Stacey Slater: at first I thought she looked like a less pretty cross between Janine and Tiffany. Everytime I see her now, I can't help noticing how much she looks like Pauline Quirke.

section_15.jpg
_874144_quirke150.jpg

section_11.jpg
paulinequirke.gif

Last edited:
aparantly, karl kennedy dies of a heart attack on a lonely country road, just after him and susan kiss again.........

but then there's a question about whether he actually dies, or whether he 'dies' and then the ambulance resucitate him.....

I've watched neighbours for the whole 20 years since it started on bbc1.....

when I went to australia, I went to ramsey street :happy:

ramsayst.jpg

I spent the whole time wandering around, saying things like 'wow! that's clive's house!' and 'ooh doesn't the robinson's house look posh' whilst people followed me around saying 'psst....actually lou lives there' and 'erm that's been the scully's house for a few years now'

:laugh:

bammo2 said:
I've watched neighbours for the whole 20 years since it started on bbc1.....

when I went to australia, I went to ramsey street :happy:

ramsayst.jpg

I spent the whole time wandering around, saying things like 'wow! that's clive's house!' and 'ooh doesn't the robinson's house look posh' whilst people followed me around saying 'psst....actually lou lives there' and 'erm that's been the scully's house for a few years now'

:laugh:

That's great! I envy you. :wink:

One of my most asked questions when I was a toddler was Is neighbours/ button moon on yet?

I remember Marlene (Lou's Mum) went on an aroun the world cruise about 10 years ago, she still hasn't returned! :ohmy:

Lu, I heard that about Karl too, someone on the Embrace messageboards is from Oz and gives spoilers to all the British folk. I just go on neighbours.com and lcick on the 'I live in Australia' link. :reject:

Lara Mullen said:
...someone on the Embrace messageboards is from Oz and gives spoilers to all the British folk. I just go on neighbours.com and lcick on the 'I live in Australia' link. :reject:

That's exactly what I do - common sense really, isn't it?! :lol:

All I remember from my early days of 'Neighbours' was Annalise and Jim Robinson (I think) dying of a heart attack. It's all very blurry to be honest.
I still watch it. I watch it mainly for amusement, but it seems to getting very racy recently, especially with the under 18 'posse' :huh:

Also, I finally figured out that the guy on the O.C (yes, I watch the O.C) used to be in Neighbours. It took me forever and a bloody day to figure it out :/

Back
Top Bottom