The NBA Thread - Post Finals, Draft and Free Agency Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
shootme.gif

I assume this is in reaction to Isiah picking some guy nobody's ever heard of over Marcus Williams(who never should've fallen that far anyway).

yes, i watched it when it was on tv. it's a joke. trautwig was interviewing his boss, and a boss who if you say anything bad about him or the company, you get fired.

journalism at it's finest

You've reached the point where there's really nothing Dolan can say or do to redeem himself in your eyes, haven't you? Isiah too?

call it the boy who cried wolf syndrom.

when every word out someone's mouth is either a lie or a calculated "mis-truth," one begins to take every word out of said person('s) mouth('s) with a grain of salt.

this is the same man, dolan, who said earlier this year that "winning is not integral to the plan."

he's also the same man who ran a campaign of lies that effectively killed the west side stadium plan, also killing any chance that new york might get the olympics, just because he didn't want any competition for madison square garden.

you want to try to believe what he says... but you know for a fact that MSG has a policy where employees can't speak out about the franchise, and then he grants his exclusive interview to a guy on the payroll on a TV station that he owns. if al trautwig was to press him on any issue he would've been fired. it's all a big joke.

So is there any team out there who Portland didn't make a trade with over the last 24 hours?

They even traded 200lbs of salmon to the Suns for a one night rental of the Gorilla suit so they can enjoy Gorilla Dunks in Portland.

your boston celtics have traded the #7 pick to the trail blazers for sebastian telfair...

if you're looking for a reason why, i can't give you one.
Well at least he can get a $200 Target gift card from Mayor Mumbles if he turns his gun in.

Headache, run out and get your Renaldo Balkman jersey before they run out.

funny how that name is almost the same as Rolando Blackman

Numb1075 said:
Headache, run out and get your Renaldo Balkman jersey before they run out.

funny how that name is almost the same as Rolando Blackman

:lol: I thought the exact same thing.

The best part of the draft was David Stern vs. Dan Patrick.

The Sports Guy has it in his draft diary:

8:59 -- The unequivocal highlight of the draft: Patrick throws it to the podium for Utah's pick, only Stern hasn't emerged from his secret lair yet, followed by Patrick filling time with "Where'd he go?" jokes, then Stern emerging, taking a dramatic pause and saying, "Dan, I was sitting in the back listening to your pithy comments." He actually seems ticked. Dan quickly fires back with an awkward "I like Paul Tagliabue better" joke. I feel like they're orchestrating this just to liven up my diary. It's too good to be true.

the entire column is great: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060629

Toronto traded Charlie Villanueva to Milwaukee for TJ Ford.

I think it's a good trade :shrug:

Word is that the Bulls are going hard after Wallace.

The numbers I've read are that Detroit's initial offer is something like 12mil per for 4 years, so 4/48, and Chicago is going to offer something like 15mil per for 4 years, so 4/60.

NBA Free Agency so far:

Cleveland offers LeBron 5yr/80M extension - Not yet accepted

Denver offers Carmelo 5yr/80M extension - Accepted

Dallas, Terry agree to 6yr/50+M deal

Peja Stojakovic agrees to 5yr/60M deal with New Orleans in a surprise move, leaving Indiana with nothing to show for the Artest deal

Detroit offers Big Ben 4yr/48M deal, but Chicago is courting him as well and is capable of offering a bigger deal in the neighborhood of 4yr/60M or they could even tack a 5th year on it - Stay tuned

Clippers, Tim Thomas agree to MLE 24M deal

Clippers, Sam Cassell agree to 2yr/13M deal

Lakers, Radmanovic agree to 5yr/30M deal

denver's also inked nene to a 6-yr deal.

john gabriel is the new gm for portland. (he wasn't that good in orlando)

new orleans has also signed bobby jackson, i wonder what this means to speedy claxton :shrug:

as for indiana, i see them making a move involving jamaal tinsley or stephen jackson this summer, hopefully for a good point guard.

Via the Daily Quickie:

Big Ben to Bulls?
The Pistons will be better than the Bulls next year, but after that, I'd bet on Chicago eclipsing Detroit, with or without Ben Wallace.

The offers are roughly the same (DET: 4Y/$50M, CHI: 4Y/$52M), so if Big Ben's determining factor is on-court success, this sums up his choice:

(1) Try to squeeze out one more title with Detroit before decline begins? (Even '07 is no lock, given this year's fizzling finish.)

Or (2) join the rising Bulls (in the process helping them vault the Pistons) and be on the East's hot contender from 2008-10?

It's rare for a 32-year-old like Wallace to enjoy "upside" again, but the Bulls have it, and he should think hard about joining them for the ride.

(Update: Wallace's reaction to Detroit's offer isn't a good sign for the Pistons: "It was disappointing. It was not at all what I expected.")

ESPN is reporting that Big Ben Wallace has informed the Detroit Pistons that he will sign a 4yr/60M deal with the Chicago Bulls.

YES!!!!!

Last edited:
Oh well. Enjoy him this year and next; there are no guarantees as to whether he'll still be any good after that.

speedracer said:
Oh well. Enjoy him this year and next; there are no guarantees as to whether he'll still be any good after that.

i can't wait to see chicago throw wallace, tyrus thomas and tyson chandler out on the court together, just to see if an NBA team can operate with three god awful offensive players on the floor at the same time.

60 million dollars for ben wallace :tsk:... bill russell must want to kill himself. on a side note, i heard isiah negotiated the contract for the bulls, free of charge. true story.

Last edited:
Tyson Chandler was traded to New Orleans for JR Smith and PJ Brown.

I really can't see many other teams better than the Bulls right now.

They did overpay Ben Wallace, but what can you do :shrug:

LemonMacPhisto said:
Tyson Chandler was traded to New Orleans for JR Smith and PJ Brown.

I really can't see many other teams better than the Bulls right now.

They did overpay Ben Wallace, but what can you do :shrug:

The Chandler trade isn't official and JR Smith might not be involved at all.

Right now the only things known for sure are that Chandler and Brown are principles.

i can't wait to see chicago throw wallace, tyrus thomas and tyson chandler out on the court together, just to see if an NBA team can operate with three god awful offensive players on the floor at the same time.

60 million dollars for ben wallace :tsk:... bill russell must want to kill himself. on a side note, i heard isiah negotiated the contract for the bulls, free of charge. true story.

The contract isn't that bad. Besides, this was the last major cap space we were going to have for the next four or so years, so might as well spend while we have it on the best FA availabe.

We don't know how good(or not) Tyrus will be in the NBA, and Chandler will be traded.

namkcuR said:

The contract isn't that bad. Besides, this was the last major cap space we were going to have for the next four or so years, so might as well spend while we have it on the best FA availabe.

the contract is awful. i'm trying to figure out how you can say that radmonovic's contract is so bad, yet wallace's is good... we're talking of a man who's entire worth is based around his athletic ability on defense, who's now in his low 30s and has shown signs of losing said athleticism.

15 million per year a declining 7 and 11. now THAT is something you'll only see in america. on the last year of this contract, 35 year old ben wallace will be at around 5 and 8 per game. for 15 million per... unless of course it's backloaded, which many NBA deals are, in which case it'll be 5 and 8 for around 17 or 18 mill per year.

isiah would be proud.

here's the lovely thing about cap room... you don't have to use it. you can save it for next year. so now when big ben is averaging 5 and 8, getting paid 18 mill per, the bulls have a choice to either go way over the cap to resign all their young guys, thus killing their cap for another 10 years, or they let the young guys go and start from scratch yet again.

yup... isiah would be proud.

Last edited:
scoop jackson, who i don't really like, put it best here... now remember, he's a chicago guy, a bulls fan...

The reality that we in Chicago must wake up to now is that unless the Bulls replace Tyson Chandler with someone who can score in the post, the Ben Wallace deal is just an extraordinary waste of money.

Yes, it would be lovely to have Wallace in white, trimmed in red and black in Tyson's old uniform (No. 3), landlording the lane, but without someone in the four-spot putting the ball in the hole at a 15- to 18-ppg clip, the offer the Bulls just gave Wallace would be equivalent to Warren Buffett giving his billions to the James and Kristin Dolan Foundation instead of Bill and Melinda's.

Putting Wallace and his career 6.6 points per game (4.7 in the playoffs this year) at center alongside Chandler's career 7.1 ppg (and just 1.8 in the playoffs) is not the tandem that's going to make the Heat, Cavs, Pistons (especially since they immediately replaced Wallace with Nazr Mohammed), Wizards, Nets or any other team the Bulls might face in May feel shook. It's not what's going to get the Bulls past that first round.

maybe the Bulls are trying to stockpile for a potential Kevin Garnett trade later this season? :shrug:

I don't see KG wanting to waste anymore of his prime in the wasteland of the Minnesota Timberwolves unless Randy Foye turns out to be a great player and they get some more shooters/ defenders

Last edited:

the contract is awful. i'm trying to figure out how you can say that radmonovic's contract is so bad, yet wallace's is good... we're talking of a man who's entire worth is based around his athletic ability on defense, who's now in his low 30s and has shown signs of losing said athleticism.

15 million per year a declining 7 and 11. now THAT is something you'll only see in america. on the last year of this contract, 35 year old ben wallace will be at around 5 and 8 per game. for 15 million per... unless of course it's backloaded, which many NBA deals are, in which case it'll be 5 and 8 for around 17 or 18 mill per year.

isiah would be proud.

here's the lovely thing about cap room... you don't have to use it. you can save it for next year. so now when big ben is averaging 5 and 8, getting paid 18 mill per, the bulls have a choice to either go way over the cap to resign all their young guys, thus killing their cap for another 10 years, or they let the young guys go and start from scratch yet again.

yup... isiah would be proud.

No, the contract really is not that bad. This is not like we locked him for six years, it's only four.

The consensus is that Big Ben has two quality years left in the tank(three if we're lucky), that Tyrus Thomas will be contributing a lot by the third year of Ben's contract, and in the fourth year, Ben will be an expiring contract.

Ben will also be a positive influence on Tyrus - most Bulls fans I've come across seem to think Tyrus can learn a lot from Big Ben.

I've seen a whole lot of people - both fan and professional - say that the Bulls will be the #2 team in the East this season, after Miami(assuming that the Pistons will drop to being a 5/6 seed because of their loss), and that they'll get to the Conference Finals. Of course just the fact that people are saying it doesn't mean anything. I'm just saying, if a lot of people are saying it, it can't be completely wrong.

Moreover, giving Ben this contract will in no way hinder our ability to resign Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, and Nocioni. Because our capspace in the coming years has to be used to resign the aforementioned players, we wouldn't have any sizeable cap space for the next four years anyway, so this signing really will not have any long term detrimental effect on our cap.

You of all people know how fucking surreal the Knicks' money situation is, so you of all people should know that the Bulls' money situation is light years away from it. Don't compare the two.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the market. Nene got $60M. It's the market. The reality is that Big Ben wasn't going to accept any contract smaller than $60M this summer. That's why Detroit's $48 wasn't good enough.

What the Bulls have done with this signing is given themselves a shot to get at least to the Conference Finals without in any way risking their future - unless you consider dumping Tyson Chandler's salary risking their future.

The Bulls have traded Tyson Chandler to the New Orleans/OK Hornets for PJ Brown and JR Smith.

Smith is a question mark, but PJ will be serviciable for maybe 10 and 8 this year, and his contract is up after this season. We are essentially ridding ourselves of having to pay Tyson Chandler an albatross contract for doing very little.

Back
Top Bottom