The NBA Thread - Post Finals, Draft and Free Agency Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
namkcuR said:
Isiah claims that LB undermined him during trade talks on multiple occasions by calling up teams that Isiah was talking to and offering his own trades. That's not power-tripping?

Well, I'm not sure Larry would want Isiah to trade Charlie Frye, David Lee, and the 2008 No. 1 pick for Ruben Boumtjie-Boumtjie and Zach Randolph.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Well, I'm not sure Larry would want Isiah to trade Charlie Frye, David Lee, and the 2008 No. 1 pick for Ruben Boumtjie-Boumtjie and Zach Randolph.

Yeah, but if Isiah is trying to make a dumb trade, the right thing to do is to go to Isiah, and say, 'hey, Isiah, this is a stupid fucking trade', not to undermine your boss.

True, but Larry Brown's reached the "I'm Keith Hernandez" bit of his career, where maybe he needs to be the GM and coach.

Otherwise I agree with all of your other points.

namkcuR said:
No?

Isiah claims that LB undermined him during trade talks on multiple occasions by calling up teams that Isiah was talking to and offering his own trades. That's not power-tripping?

It was said that LB told Marbs something along the lines of 'I can do whatever I want with this team'. That's not power-tripping?

LB continued to publically embarass his players in the media after his bosses, Dolan and Isiah, explicitly ORDERED him to stop doing so. I don't care how inept Dolan and Isiah have been, that was still 'have-no-regard-for-my-bosses' AND 'have-no-regard-for-my-subordinates' on LB's part.

if you're at the point where you actually believe a word that has come from isiah thomas or jim dolan, then frankly there's no argument i could ever made to change your mind.

as for telling marbury that he can do whatever he wants with the team... um, well... he's sorta the coach, thus then, he can do whatever he wants with the team. that's not a power trip... that's his job.

in the 13 years since jim dolan has taken over Madison Square Garden... pat riley quit, donn nelson was fired, jeff van gundy quit, dave checketts quit, scott layden was fired, don cheney was fired, lenny wilkens quit, herb williams was demoted, marv albert... MARV FUCKING ALBERT... was fired, and now larry brown has been fired.

marv albert was let go because he criticized the team too often. marv albert... the man IS the knicks. he was a knicks ball boy as a kid, for christ's sake. and dolan let him go.

and let us not forget about mike keenan, colin campbell, neil smith, john muckler, john tortorella, brian trottier, and of course, glen sather... who was actually allowed to fire himself and still keep this GM job.

lary brown also had a track record... he had problems early with david robinson... with reggie miller... with allen iverson. and over time, all three of those players grew to love larry brown, and brown turned those franchises into winners. break it down, build it back up. that is what larry brown has always done.

all the dolan regime has done is taken a building that had one team in the NBA finals and the other winning the stanley cup when they took over and driven it completely into the ground, to the point where the "world's most famous arena" is nothing more than a joke.

and isiah thomas burned his bridges in indiana, he left the CBA in financial ruin, and spends more money per player than the yankees on the last place knicks.

larry brown is not a saint by any stretch of the imagination. if you want to say that he could have gotten 10 more wins out of this team if he had given in to what the players wanted rather than the way he wanted them to play, fine... i'll go along with that. but LB understood that in order for this team to compete for :gasp: a championship he would have to break the entire thing down and build it back up again with a completely different mindset and a redone roster. but, alas, that will never happen now.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

if you're at the point where you actually believe a word that has come from isiah thomas or jim dolan, then frankly there's no argument i could ever made to change your mind.

as for telling marbury that he can do whatever he wants with the team... um, well... he's sorta the coach, thus then, he can do whatever he wants with the team. that's not a power trip... that's his job.

in the 13 years since jim dolan has taken over Madison Square Garden... pat riley quit, donn nelson was fired, jeff van gundy quit, dave checketts quit, scott layden was fired, don cheney was fired, lenny wilkens quit, herb williams was demoted, marv albert... MARV FUCKING ALBERT... was fired, and now larry brown has been fired.

marv albert was let go because he criticized the team too often. marv albert... the man IS the knicks. he was a knicks ball boy as a kid, for christ's sake. and dolan let him go.

and let us not forget about mike keenan, colin campbell, neil smith, john muckler, john tortorella, brian trottier, and of course, glen sather... who was actually allowed to fire himself and still keep this GM job.

lary brown also had a track record... he had problems early with david robinson... with reggie miller... with allen iverson. and over time, all three of those players grew to love larry brown, and brown turned those franchises into winners. break it down, build it back up. that is what larry brown has always done.

all the dolan regime has done is taken a building that had one team in the NBA finals and the other winning the stanley cup when they took over and driven it completely into the ground, to the point where the "world's most famous arena" is nothing more than a joke.

and isiah thomas burned his bridges in indiana, he left the CBA in financial ruin, and spends more money per player than the yankees on the last place knicks.

larry brown is not a saint by any stretch of the imagination. if you want to say that he could have gotten 10 more wins out of this team if he had given in to what the players wanted rather than the way he wanted them to play, fine... i'll go along with that. but LB understood that in order for this team to compete for :gasp: a championship he would have to break the entire thing down and build it back up again with a completely different mindset and a redone roster. but, alas, that will never happen now.

But Headache, weren't you weary about the Knicks signing LB last summer? I distinctly remember you saying things about him in the vein of, 'He'll leave us within a few years, it's what Larry Brown does', referring to his m.o. of jumping from team to team and never being content.

namkcuR said:

But Headache, weren't you weary about the Knicks signing LB last summer? I distinctly remember you saying things about him in the vein of, 'He'll leave us within a few years, it's what Larry Brown does', referring to his m.o. of jumping from team to team and never being content.

yes, i was... but he didn't last long enough to even do that. at the very least i expected him to be around long enough to turn give us a few good years.

look... i'm not the biggest larry brown fan on earth, that's for damn sure. but if you have to choose between larry brown, jim dolan and isiah thomas, there's only one of them who's ever won shit in their current positions.

he does leave places early... it is a pattern of his. but this time he didn't.

The draft is in a few days, who do you guys think is going where?

I think Bargnani is going No. 1 to Toronto
Aldridge No. 2 to Chicago
Roy No. 3 to Charlotte
Morrison No. 4 to Portland

after that, I have no idea.

As a Bulls fan, I want Aldridge.

I do NOT want Tyrus Thomas. The last thing we need is yet ANOTHER 'project' big man. I want Aldridge.

Here's to hoping PJ Tucker falls far enough for the Mavericks to draft him.

:drool:

I hope the Magic get Ronnie Brewer or something.

But alot of sources are saying they'd get Redick.

:|

Apparently Larry Brown wanted Jalen Rose and Steve Francis badly.

I think they're full of shit.

Whoever made the trade, I'm happy they got Francis from the Magic, players like him are what's wrong with today's league.

(I wonder how Isiah's neck is feeling like, you know, with Dolan's leash on it)

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
Three-Part Interview with James Dolan and Isiah Thomas in which they explain why they felt they had to fire Larry Brown. It's actually a pretty good interview.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUzewXJuAjY

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixLxrY4Y0FE

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=917sPVrrCxU

yea it's a wonderful interview filled with journalistic excellence...

jim dolan and isiah thomas granting an exclusive interview to al trautwig for MSG network... uhhhhh wait a minute... MSG network is owned by cablevision, and who owns cablevision? jim dolan!

it's all a crock of shit.

i think the guy who will turn out to be the best player in the draft is brandon roy.

adam morrison will be a 15 to 20 ppg player in the nba.

people say jj redick won't be that good in the nba because he's not a great athlete... yet in the pre-draft combine JJ did very well. he is a very good athlete... not great, but very good. he's in excellent shape. on the flip side, no one says a word about marcus williams' athletic ability as a hinderance in the nba, yet he ranked as one of the worst athletes in the entire combine. you do the math...

i don't know a thing about bargnini... what i do know is that he won't be a star off the bat. no europeans are. even dirk wasn't. what he does afterwords, i have no idea.

tyrus thomas has stromile swift written all over him.

the biggest enigma in the draft is rudy gay. yes we all know... he has "tremendous upside potential." but does he have a heart? does he have the intensity to get it done night in and night out? he certainly never showed it in college... i have serious questions marks if he can all of a sudden turn it on now that he's getting paid to do it.

shelden williams probably doesn't have lottery talent. but he will be a solid 12-15 point, 8-10 rebound guy for his entire career. so in a draft filled with "what if's," taking a guy like that is not exactly a bad thing.

expect a lot of trades...

whatever else happens... the knicks will fuck something up.

There's speculation of a huge Boston-Philly-Utah trade going around, with Iverson in the mix :hmm::shrug:

yea it's a wonderful interview filled with journalistic excellence...

jim dolan and isiah thomas granting an exclusive interview to al trautwig for MSG network... uhhhhh wait a minute... MSG network is owned by cablevision, and who owns cablevision? jim dolan!

it's all a crock of shit.

Did you watch the interview?

people say jj redick won't be that good in the nba because he's not a great athlete... yet in the pre-draft combine JJ did very well. he is a very good athlete... not great, but very good. he's in excellent shape.
Redick's statement that he has a bulging disc pressing on a nerve is dropping his draft stock quickly.
Suddenly he looks like a mid rounder rather than a lottery pick.
Utah at 14 probably.

So Bargnani it is.

And congratulations to namkcuR on LaMarcus. :drool:

Edit: Nevermind. I did not realize that the Bulls traded the pick.

Last edited:
shootme.gif

Portland

:lmao:

that is all

(I'm not sure about Redick yet, since I've already been through the "Duke guy with a bad placement for an injury" thing. I hope he's good :up: )

inmyplace13 said:
So Bargnani it is.

And congratulations to namkcuR on LaMarcus. :drool:

Edit: Nevermind. I did not realize that the Bulls traded the pick.

It's an ever more bitter pill to swallow when we actually draft LeMarcus and he puts on the Bulls hat and everything and all the while I'm sitting there knowing he'll never play a game for us.

I wanted him! Not Tyrus!

Back
Top Bottom