The National are a great band we should keep discussing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alligator could definitely use some adjustment in sequencing, but I wouldn't replace a single song.

The alt version of Terrible Love sucks. I love the tracklisting as it is; if there's any album of theirs that could benefit from a different tracklist it's Alligator. I remember when I first downloaded it the tracks were in alphabetical order, and I liked that more...
I have made clear my thoughts that the alternate version is 10,000 miles better than the stupid lo-fi album bullshit version, so I figure there's no need to dig that one up again.

Alligator would be awesome in any order.

Alligator's tracklisting is perfect as it is. It suffers a bit from the Looking For Astronauts/Daughters of the Soho Riots medley, which slows it down a bit too much after the big opening trio, but I'm usually really fond of albums that have a stronger 2nd half. The record just builds and builds and never lets go.

Friend of Mine into Val Jester is the only part of Alligator I would consider a "low point." Not a fan of Looking for Astronauts' chorus but that song has some good stuff in it.

Abel/Geese/City Middle/Mr November annoys me the most. The middle two are okay but completely kill the overwhelming fun and energy of the other two, which is what made me fall in love with The Nash in the first place.

Alligator suffers from having every last one of its weak numbers placed back-to-back-to-back-to-etc. There's Lit Up and there's All The Wine and there's some good stuff in between that took me like a dozen listens to differentiate between. All of those songs would be, in some order, ranked lower than the remaining 7. It's like a couple of stellar greatest hits EPs separated by some good leftovers.

Of course, this is all my opinion, but there are pacing issues too that could be pretty easily fixed by moving Val Jester or Looking For Astronauts around.

1. Apartment Story
2. Fake Empire
3. Karen
4. City Middle
5. Bloodbuzz
6. Abel
7. Mr. November
8. Conversation 16
9. Exile/Vilify
10. All The Wine

I've never been crazy about Secret Meeting as an opener, though I do like the song quite a bit. Lit Up might have worked better in the opening slot. And that violin on Val Jester is sublimely mournful. There really is not a weak track to be found on Alligator.

I don't like looking for astronauts. Otherwise, alligator is fantastic.

I think that Sad ass Punk is probably kinda responsible for getting me into The National. Looking for Astronauts was on one of her DI lists and I liked it and decided I should download the album illegally.

I also want to mention that Baby We'll Be Fine is a really good song. Again, it's probably my 8th favorite or something, but for any other band it would be one of their best.

Friend of Mine and Val Jester (not bad, just a bit dull), however, have never done anything for me. The former is one of those rare National songs post-debut (see: Guest Room) that don't seem to go anywhere.

Then All The Wine starts up and everything is just wonderful for 20 minutes.

I love Friend of Mine, one of my favorites. Certainly one of their catchiest songs.

I've got two sets of headphones I miss you like hell.

Great song, I love how sincere and emotionally charged the vocals sound.

Definitely a fan of Friend of Mine. That insistent guitar tone mirrors the frantic vocals perfectly.

there's a rumor that Matt will sing their next album all in falsetto. that should definitely change things up a bit.

I was not aware that Matt had a falsetto. Watch it be some angelic croon a la Thom Yorke on Nude.

I'd take soundtrack tunes like this one with a grain of salt. More often than not, a band is trying to match the tone of the show or movie (they did a great job on this case), but I doubt it's indicative of a new direction

Back
Top Bottom