The National

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretending is the same as lying. Don't be like Bono.

Hence why I am truthful about my Boxer issues.

An album with tracks as good as Fake Empire, Mistaken for Strangers, and Apartment Story is not a "disappointing album."

Where's my Jeep?

Fritz took it out for a spin

PinkJeep_hirez_250w.jpg

You're right, it's a "mind-blowingly disappointing" album.

Sorry that I was actually a big fan before Boxer and didn't bandwagon like the rest of you. My bad.

You're right, it's a "mind-blowingly disappointing" album.

Sorry that I was actually a big fan before Boxer and didn't bandwagon like the rest of you. My bad.

I heard and loved Alligator way before I heard Boxer, for the record.

Alligator is better than Boxer, I agree with Scumbo on that much. I love almost every track on Alligator.

Even though I know you guys are mainly just talking shit, as it's all any of you are good at doing, I wanted to clarify that when I say Boxer is "disappointing" I mean it's "disappointing" to me personally. You don't need to assume I'm personally attacking anyone else here (other than NSW for his beret-wearing Eurotrash lifestyle choice) for liking the album. I can understand why so many people like it, I just have not been able to get into it nearly as much as I did the two prior albums. It's still better than the debut though, and there are a number of songs on it I like a great deal, it just does not do for me what their prior work did. If you personally love the album, I'm cool with that. The National are great. You need to realize it kills me inside that I still don't like Boxer more than it could possibly ever bother any of the rest of you that someone finds it disappointing. Do I want to be disappointed by the next album? Absolutely not. Am I horrified that I might be, and thus end up disliking the band? Yes.

By the way, gfy db's

If it makes you feel any better, u2pm, I don't particularly like Boxer, either. I don't particularly like Alligator, either, but that's just me. Much like you seem to, I think that Boxer has several genuinely amazing tracks ("Apartment Story," "Start a War," and "Fake Empire") and very, very, very little else of much interest. To each, though, his/her own. I hope that they finally record an album I like, next time, because I think that when this band is on, its a pretty damn-ass strong outfit. I'd like finally to be able to enjoy more than 10 minutes on a whole record, though, next time.

I like my beret. And my Vespa.

Dude, nobody thinks you're attacking any of us, but, thanks for clarifying.

Also, better we discovered The National later on in their careers than not at all; I refuse to have that sort of thing held against me. I've been a U2 fan a hell of a lot longer than you have but it does not make your opinion of their music any more or less valid than mine.

My opinion is more valid than yours because I do not live in Utah and am not a pansy. Also, I can and will chainsaw you in half.

oh yeah! i love them! he has a beautiful voice... haven't listened in a while... thanks for the reminder! :)

AHHH, motherfucking incredible fucking show! I'll elaborate with pictures a bit later tonight.

Matt was drunk, climbing on shit, it was awesome! Got a setlist too. :up:

I had a ticket to see them in May, but it didn't work out, luckily found another fan that could go in my place. But I have seen them before, in 2007 and opening for R.E.M., so I'm OK until they tour again for their next release.

Nice, Cass. Last time I saw them, Matt had been drinking too. With me.

NAME DROPPER!

Nice, Cass. Last time I saw them, Matt had been drinking too. With me.

NAME DROPPER!

Man, you just can't stop telling that story, can you?

Sounds like Matt likes to hit the sauce pretty hard.

He had a bottle of wine to himself tonight.

And, without further ado, here's some pictures:

P9110230.jpg

P9110233.jpg

P9110241.jpg

P9110244.jpg

Bryce during "Vanderlylle Crybaby"
P9110254.jpg

Matt during "Abel"
P9110257.jpg

P9110258.jpg

P9110266.jpg

Violin dude is one of my favorite guys in the band
P9110267.jpg

P9110268.jpg

Matt after climbing on speakers, off stage, up the stairs, and onto the railing going up to the upper level of First Avenue
P9110276.jpg

And the setlist
P9110288.jpg

He had a bottle of wine to himself tonight.

All the wine is all for him.

The pictures are awesome, and that's a badass setlist. The only song I'd really wanna hear that isn't there is Lit Up, but they've got almost all my favorites covered.

In Secret Meeting, what is the shouting in the background? It sounds like:

"I'm droppin' ace!"
"And folding!"

How was Blood Buzz and the other new songs?

I just returned from the Black Keys.

All the wine is all for him.

The pictures are awesome, and that's a badass setlist. The only song I'd really wanna hear that isn't there is Lit Up, but they've got almost all my favorites covered.

In Secret Meeting, what is the shouting in the background? It sounds like:

"I'm droppin' ace!"
"And folding!"

:lol: Yeah, it was, and he looked like he was having a great time with it. Lit Up would've been nice to hear, I agree, though, it was a near-perfect show as it was. I've got no idea what the shouting is in Secret Meeting, actually. A quick search of lyrics online didn't yield an answer either.

How was Blood Buzz and the other new songs?

I just returned from the Black Keys.

It's hard to pass judgment about them, just because the lyrics weren't terribly clear. But, "Runaway" was very good. "Vanderlylle Crybaby" was my favorite of the three new songs because of its emotional range. It goes from the softer crooning Matt's great at to a swelling of sound from the band and back again. "Blood Buzz" was probably my least favorite of the new ones, but, like I said, it's hard to completely say. It seemed a bit dull musically compared to the others though.

How were the Black Keys? I've been meaning to catch them on tour sometime.

Great setlist. Wish I was there. "Vanderlylle Cry Baby" is all sorts of good. And no, I'll never stop telling that story.

Nice, Scums. I saw the Black Keys one time back in 2005. Fucking fantastic.

And they're shouting "I'm talking ace this morning."

Great setlist. Wish I was there. "Vanderlylle Cry Baby" is all sorts of good. And no, I'll never stop telling that story.

It was an amazing set, that's for sure. I thought they were captivating in an arena setting, but damn, they really are a whole 'nother beast in smaller venues. The band straight up took over First Avenue and made it theirs. I'm just giving you shit (as I'm sure you know). It's a great story, and I'm still jealous you shared a beer with Matt every time you mention it.

Also, didn't say anything about this before, but the opening act, Buke and Gass, were pretty good too. I guess it was their first show outside the state of New York, so that was a treat for us. And, Impy, I have a feeling you would've been drooling over the chica in the duo.

Back
Top Bottom