The name you almost had

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura M

Blue Crack Addict
What name (if any) did your parents want to call you before they settled on your name.

My Mum especially, wanted to call me Sarah but the rellies all said it was an ugly name and refused my parents to even choose it. A lot of people I meet now think that's my name which I find odd.

If my Dad had had his way he wanted to call us all after the Bronte sisters, my brother would have been Anne. :laugh:

Last edited:
Holly....but my dad had an old girlfriend with that name so he vetoed that one.

They also liked Celine....:|
No offense to anyone with this name; it is pretty but just wouldn't suit me.

As a boy I would have been named Bertrand

Before I was born, my mum hesitated between Marie and Céline... a good friend of her told her that Marie was much more lovely. Indded, I'm very satisfied with it. And I got tons of Célines-friends.

If I was a boy, I was going to be Tristan.

My parents didn't realise until after they'd registered my birth that I actually already had a cousin called Elizabeth :coocoo:

Marie, I know lots of folk called Laura, when I met Miquel (and his brother :heart: :heart: :heart: ) in Dublin, I asked him what names were the most popular where he lived. He had lots of Laura's and Jordi's saved in his phonebook. This seemed to really amuse him that I had a "very common name, no?". :slant:

I think Marie is a much more lovely name too :)

I had a friend at school called Laura but her first name on her birth certificate was something like Patricia. Her parents wanted to name her Laura Patricia but her Dad got drunk and filled in the birth certificate wrong and her Mum didn't know about it until a few days after. :lol:

Last edited:
If I would've been a boy it would've been Aegon. Don't ask my why and I'm glad I am a girl. Aegon is an insurance company in my country. What where my parents thinking??? :eyebrow:

Lara Mullen said:
Marie, I know lots of folk called Laura, when I met Miquel (and his brother :heart: :heart: :heart: ) in Dublin, I asked him what names were the most popular where he lived. He had lots of Laura's and Jordi's saved in his phonebook. This seemed to really amuse him that I had a "very common name, no?". :slant:

I think Marie is a much more lovely name too :)

I had a friend at school called Laura but her first name on her birth certificate was something like Patricia. Her parents wanted to name her Laura Patricia but her Dad got drunk and filled in the birth certificate wrong and her Mum didn't know about it until a few days after. :lol:

Lots of girls are called Laura here in france. It(s quite popular because a very famous singer called his daughter Laura some 20 years ago.
Laura and Marie are 2 titles from the Scissor Sisters's album right ? :wink:

The other girls names on the list were Virginia (which is, err, not good) or Alison (if you know what my last name is and say it fast it would have sounded like some demented CS Lewis character).

Boys names were all Henry type wanky names.

I was born during a baby boom I think and everyone called their daughters Laura.

There is a SS song called Laura and one called Mary :yes:
When I was younger my aunts friend used to sing that "Tell Laura I love her" song to me, and when that SS song came out and we heard it when we were in clubs my friends all pointed at me but it reminded me of the creep my aunt knew. I stupidly told my friend about it and now he sings it to me to frighten me. I like when the French boy we have for our conversation classes says "lauuura". :drool:

I might've been Charlotte after the Cure song, apparently -- if only that had been my name! Instead I got called after my great-grandmother :|.

my mom had her heart set on naming her baby girl kimberly... that was before she fell in love with my dad, who was divorced and already had a daughter named kimberly. worked out, the name wouldn't have suited me at all.

:up:

charlotte sometimes :drool:

willie brooks. after willie mays and brooks robinson.

when i ended up being a girl, my dad was still planning on naming me that (willamina brooks :crack: ).

i'm so glad my mom put a stop to that.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Maura

I've only known one girl w/ that name- she was very pretty and sweet, so now it has a positive connotation for me. I like the name anyway

Same here! It's my middle name now. I like it too - my father wouldnt have it though! :D So Kathleen it is.

My mom wanted to name me Kelly but my paternal grandmother insisted I be named after her - Trinidad. My mom dropped the 'dad' part and just put "Trini" on my birth certificate, and it's pronounced like the island of Trinidad (without the 'dad' of course). She then felt it was too stuffy to call me that as a baby and started calling me Trina, and it's stuck with me ever since. I'm glad she didn't call me Katrina though, for some reason that name never suited me.

Now, if you're still interested - because hey, it's interesting to me. My mom's folks got all upset that they weren't in on the naming business for me, so she appeased them with my middle name. Okay here's where it can get confusing.

My great-grandmother's name was Marguerite Grace (last name was Evans - I'm convinced I'm related somehow to Edge, but that's another thread!)

My grandmother's name is Mary Lee
My mother's name is Linda Lea (but still pronounced "Lee)

So she took that "Lee" tradition and put "Grace" in front of it, dropped an "e" and came up with Graclea. All in all, it is quite nice - Trina Graclea. Looks weird, and I didn't even know how to spell my middle name until I was in 7th grade (kept spelling it Gracelea). But it's pronounced "Grace-lee".

if i had been born of one of the many other sexes, apparently monica would have been it.

I was almost named Holly. Now my mom has a cat by that name.

If I had been a boy, I was told that Steven was being considered.

Back
Top Bottom