The music industry is NO different today than it was 10... 20... 40 years ago. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2003, 11:16 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 07:38 AM
A recent change in the music industry has been the decision to not let albums re-enter the chart after they've dropped out. I don't understand why, and I can't see a good reason for it. Anybody know the facts?

Maybe that's why Pink Foyd keep on re-releasing Dark Side of the Moon every few years.

Old 08-31-2003, 12:22 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:38 AM
I think they installed that policy to allow more new albums enter the charts. This way there is no 496th re-entry of Dark Side Of The Moon, but instead an album of a new artist. Makes sense to me, although you miss the albums that have a record-breaking stay in the charts (you know, like charting for years).

C ya!

Marty

Old 09-02-2003, 11:31 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:38 AM
How many record companies were around in the 1960s?

How many record companies are around today?

It is getting worse, to deny that is crazy. Wall Street saw all those kids going to Woodstock, jamming up the freeways, and idea went off in their head. They saw huge cash potential.
Where is the regional hit? Where is the DJ who doesn't follow a playlist? How many radio stations were independent in the 1960's? How many of them are owned by Clear Channel now?
Realise this, if U2, REM, Bruce Springsteen, were trying to get big now, we'd hear 1 or 2 records from each of them, then they'd be dropped and never get to make Born to Run, Achtung Baby, or Document. It does suck today, stop the apology and understanding for white men in suites selling their "PRODUCT". I love music, it saves.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:48 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

posted by Angela Harlem:
I predict though, that bands like Creed will be our children's Rolling Stones. *We* here at Interference don't like them, but we represent a finite percentage of the music buying public. For every one of us, there are possibly 10 people out there who think they are the second coming.

You are so very wrong.

I'm just starting to work in the industry and I take part in about half a dozen music forums, and believe me we here at interference are not even close to the only people that hate Creed. In fact I've seen more people stick up for them here then anywhere else. I have only met ONE person ever who actually admitted that they liked them and bought their albums. They are hated, and in my opinion, only high school age, middle America, mullet wearing goons buy their records. And unfortunately there's a new crop of them every year.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:44 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
led zeppelin --> poison --> creed.
I think Led Zeppelin may have influenced a "hard rock" scene, but to put them in a line with Poison (a pure pop band) and Creed (I don't really need to say anything about them).

I realize it is not your personal taste, but Led Zeppelin was inventive...something Poison and Creed do not have.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:18 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Re: The music industry is NO different today than it was 10... 20... 40 years ago.

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
I always see a lot of bitching about how the music industry today sucks, and how everyone years for the olden days when music had meaning... when people wrote their own songs... when pop acts didn't dominate the music scene so let's take a look back at some of the singles that had time at #1 back in 1993...

1. I Will Always Love You, Whitney Houston
2. Whoomp! (There It Is), Tag Team
3. Can't Help Falling In Love, UB40
4. That's The Way Love Goes, Janet Jackson
5. Freak, Silk
6. Weak, SWV
7. If I Ever Fall In Love, Shai
8. Dreamlover, Mariah Carey
9. Rump Shaker, Wreckx-N-Effect
10. Informer, Snow

and what about 20 years ago... 1983...

1 EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE, The Police
2 BILLIE JEAN, Michael Jackson
3 FLASHDANCE...WHAT A FEELING, Irene Cara
4 DOWN UNDER, Men At Work
5 BEAT IT, Michael Jackson
6 TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART, Bonnie Tyler
7 MANEATER, Daryl Hall and John Oates
8 BABY COME TO ME, Patti Austin and James Ingram
9 MANIAC, Michael Sembello
10 SWEET DREAMS (Are Made Of This), The Eurythmics

thank you for posting this. lol this brings me back to high school and my elem school days. lmao i had a dance routine to MANIAC. those 1993 songs were my songs for spring break in PC Beach. INFORMER!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA!
Old 09-02-2003, 02:33 PM   #22
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
I think they installed that policy to allow more new albums enter the charts. This way there is no 496th re-entry of Dark Side Of The Moon, but instead an album of a new artist. Makes sense to me, although you miss the albums that have a record-breaking stay in the charts (you know, like charting for years).
C ya!Marty
Does anyone know which chart these albums re-appear in? Or even if there is one? Ta.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:44 PM   #23
War Child

Actually, Gary Numan was on Top of the Pops a month or two ago!!! And it's always good to see U2 on there, and Depeche Mode. But then I'm biaised
Old 09-03-2003, 12:31 PM   #24
The Fly

It's an interesting way to look at things, watching the top 40 although the list doesn't neccessarily affect what I enjoy in music, in fact most of my favourite acts are not represented by any top 40 lists. In the end I guess there will always be a balance of stuff I can't listen to and stuff I love and rarely will I find that the things I love, will be enjoyed by everyone. Perhaps its my quirky tastes.

Aside from Michael Jackson and the Police, one can't deny the Eurythmics and Men at Work their fair share. Down Under is a fantastic song and I'm happy it made it as far as it did.