The Music Evangelism Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2007, 07:48 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:42 PM
Okay next album up, another mix CD entitled "Summer Music 2006 (Good?)" This one is even more a misnomer as I'm pretty sure some these tunes go back as far as the 20th century and the last track isn't even a song! Perhaps, Greg is not as cutting edge as he once was!

The track list:

1.New Noise.........................Refused
2.I Shot Lucifer.....................Bionic Jive
3. Shut 'Em Down..................Bionic Jive
4. Pistol Grip Pump................Rage Against the Machine
5. Warming-Up the Brain Farm...Low-Fidelity All Stars
6. Battle Flag..............................Low-Fidelity All Stars
7. Insomnia................................Faithless
8. Sci-Fi Wasabi..........................Cibo Mato
9. The Bad Touch........................Bloodhound Gang
10. Aisle 10.................................Scapegoat Wax
11. Float On................................Modest Mouse
12. The Good Times Are Killing Me....Modest Mouse
13. Bastard......................................Ben Folds
14. Rockin' The Suburbs...................Ben Folds
15. One Angry Dwarfy and 200 Solemn Faces.......Ben Folds Five
16. Song for the Dumped..................Ben Folds Five
17. Tribute.........................................Tenacious D
18. Sasquatch....................................Tenacious D
19. Boyz in the Hood..........................Dynamite Hack
20. Wide World of Novel Writing.........Monty Python

INITIAL IMPRESSION: I liked it overall better than Summer Music 2006 (Good!) but the individual songs I liked on the first album, I liked better than most of the songs on this one. There were no truly grating songs on this album, but none that were really compelling either.

ALBUM FLOW: First four tracks are very hard, very loud. Great for being really pissed off. They work better as soundtrack for a moment than anything I would actually listen to for pleasure.

Tracks 5-10 have a danceable vibe with hints of techno, electronica, and hip hop. Largely forgettable.

Tracks 11-16. I'm not sure what to say about these tracks. I think Ben Fold's sums it up best: "You don't know what it's like to be male, middle-class and white."

Tracks 17-20 are funny, essentially novelty tunes that will probably not bear up well under repeated listening.

MOST FORGETTABLE SONGS: Warming-up the Brain Farm and Battle Flag. I always forget what they sound like as soon as I'm finished listening to them.

SONG THAT WOULD BE MY FAVORITE IF NO ONE WAS SINGING: "Float On" by Modest Mouse. Very catchy, fun, until that moron starts singing. Apparently at some point in our culture, having a voice that doesn't sound ridiculous stopped being a requirement for being a serious artist. Still despite his sqawking and caterwauling I can't help but like the song. When I listen to Modest Mouse, I can tell you what's killing me. . .and it's not the good times.

SONG I'D HEARD BEFORE: Bad Touch.

SONG I WAS MOST SURPRISED TO FIND ON THE ALBUM: Bad Touch. I woulda never guessed Greg to be a fan of "doing like they do on the Discovery channel."

SONG I FOUND MOST DEPRESSING TO LISTEN TO: Bad Touch. It's just a really cynical song to me. . .despite the catchy beat. Bastard, One Angry Dwarf, and Song for the Dumped were close runners-up. Despite the kind of humurous lyrics, the underlying negativity got to me after awhile.

SONG/BAND THAT I WAS PRETTY SURE I HATED BUT THAT I WAS SHOCKED TO FIND I ACTUALLY REALLY ENJOYED: Tribute by Tenacious D. I swear I used to see the video for this song in the gym like five years ago and I HATED it. I'm pretty sure it was this song. And yet now, for reasons I can't explain, I really like it. It makes me laugh, it's actually pretty catchy, and I love how Jack Black and Co. send up just about every rock cliche in the book.

MOST INCONGRUOUS SONG: "Boyz in the Hood" by Dynamite Hack. Another novelty song. It's so amusing to hear this whiter than white singer crooning all these gangsta lyrics over alternative-acoustic guitar.

"SONG" MOST LIKELY TO BE PLAYED FOR MY FRESHMAN COMPOSITION CLASS TOMORROW: "Wide World of Novel Writing." Hilarious!

FAVORITES: "Rockin' the Suburbs"--I find this song funny but not so absurd that I can't enjoy listening to it for it's own sake, "Float On" and "Tribute."

FINAL VERDICT: Entertaining and listenable, but not memorable or compelling. The reality is that I will probably never listen to this album again.. .not because it's bad, but because I probably won't ever feel like it.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

1.New Noise.........................Refused
4. Pistol Grip Pump................Rage Against the Machine
5. Warming-Up the Brain Farm...Low-Fidelity All Stars
6. Battle Flag..............................Low-Fidelity All Stars
7. Insomnia................................Faithless
8. Sci-Fi Wasabi..........................Cibo Mato
9. The Bad Touch........................Bloodhound Gang
10. Aisle 10.................................Scapegoat Wax
11. Float On................................Modest Mouse
12. The Good Times Are Killing Me....Modest Mouse
13. Bastard......................................Ben Folds
14. Rockin' The Suburbs...................Ben Folds
15. One Angry Dwarfy and 200 Solemn Faces.......Ben Folds Five
19. Boyz in the Hood..........................Dynamite Hack
wow, it looks like greg found and rescued all my crappy old mix tapes before i threw them in the trash.

lo fidelity allstars