The Mullet, Ireland Superthread - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #106
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 06:37 AM
I'm gonna go to bed and be hypocrticial and listen to some Mingus. Bye, guys.
__________________

__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #107
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,010
Local Time: 08:07 AM
Have a good one, Bonnie!
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #108
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
I love a lot of post big band jazz, but the majority of it is exactly as described, to me. It's something I can appreciate and be fascinated with, but not completely dig.

I think the trance thing was still there before the 50s. The difference is, songs weren't fifteen minutes long.
Length doesn't matter, it is about where the inner spirit takes you. Post big band is when they really took to the "jam." It is pure expression and you have to dig that.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #109
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


For better or worse, we also don't have this whole fiasco with primaries, with the party itself electing its leader - almost always someone already on the front bench with a ministerial portfolio of some description. Only once in Australian history has the Prime Minister been from the Senate, in an exceptional circumstance - and he gave up his Senate seat and contested for a House of Representatives seat.
Normally, the primary season is over by Super Tuesday. What's happening this year is highly unusual.

Although I don't like the structure of how they are done. Granted, I like that my state plays such a pivotal role at the beginning, but the rest of the states should all be done shortly after Super Tuesday and not drag on. Also, they don't need to freakin' start in January when the general election is in November. Have the primaries in the summer, the conventions in September, and then two months of campaigning for the general election. That's more than enough.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #110
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,010
Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan


Normally, the primary season is over by Super Tuesday. What's happening this year is highly unusual.

Although I don't like the structure of how they are done. Granted, I like that my state plays such a pivotal role at the beginning, but the rest of the states should all be done shortly after Super Tuesday and not drag on. Also, they don't need to freakin' start in January when the general election is in November. Have the primaries in the summer, the conventions in September, and then two months of campaigning for the general election. That's more than enough.
I don't get why all the states have to be on different days. And is the convention really THAT necessary? Why not just have the primaries all on one day in September and the election in November? Or if the convention's that necessary, hold it a few days after the primaries, once final vote counts are in.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #111
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


I don't get why all the states have to be on different days. And is the convention really THAT necessary? Why not just have the primaries all on one day in September and the election in November? Or if the convention's that necessary, hold it a few days after the primaries, once final vote counts are in.
Because all the smaller states would be ignored and therefore not play a huge part in the process. I think it's a good thing that candidates are forced to visit areas that they otherwise wouldn't bother with, as each state's population varies. But it definitely shouldn't drag out as long as it does now.

And I agree, conventions are pretty much useless in the overall scheme of things - they are just one huge pep rally.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #112
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


Probably phanan rather than I could do the best intro to God Is An Astronaut. I haven't actually checked out their latest album yet.
Just saw this.

onebloodonelife will most definitely include God Is An Astronaut with the post-rock genre, so I'm sure it's covered.

And the latest album is fantastic. I think it's just as good as the previous album.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #113
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,010
Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan


Just saw this.

onebloodonelife will most definitely include God Is An Astronaut with the post-rock genre, so I'm sure it's covered.

And the latest album is fantastic. I think it's just as good as the previous album.
That's in a different thread, the Genre Intros rather than the CD Exchange.

Yeah, I've been meaning to download it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #114
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,010
Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan


Because all the smaller states would be ignored and therefore not play a huge part in the process. I think it's a good thing that candidates are forced to visit areas that they otherwise wouldn't bother with, as each state's population varies. But it definitely shouldn't drag out as long as it does now.

And I agree, conventions are pretty much useless in the overall scheme of things - they are just one huge pep rally.
I'm worried about how the staggered elections affects the dynamics of the race and the ultimate outcome. It's pretty dodgy that people in state X get to vote for a whole bunch of candidates, while those in state Y only get two or three. Also, as much as there's the virtue in getting the candidates to spend plenty of time in the smaller states, it really means that any state after Super Tuesday is ignored anyway. Instead of being ignored on basis of population, states get ignored on basis of chronology. How is that any more fair? I would contend it's less so.

If all states were to vote on the same day, could there at least be a requirement that candidates visit so many states, say 25 or 30 or something? With a further stipulation that a certain percentage of them must be states with a population of less than a certain figure?
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #115
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


That's in a different thread, the Genre Intros rather than the CD Exchange.

Yeah, I've been meaning to download it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Oops. I guess I read that too fast.

Not sure if I'll be involved in the exchange at this time, although if people wish to hear more God Is An Astronaut, I can certainly oblige. I have everything. They're one of my favorite post-rock bands.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #116
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


I'm worried about how the staggered elections affects the dynamics of the race and the ultimate outcome. It's pretty dodgy that people in state X get to vote for a whole bunch of candidates, while those in state Y only get two or three. Also, as much as there's the virtue in getting the candidates to spend plenty of time in the smaller states, it really means that any state after Super Tuesday is ignored anyway. Instead of being ignored on basis of population, states get ignored on basis of chronology. How is that any more fair? I would contend it's less so.

If all states were to vote on the same day, could there at least be a requirement that candidates visit so many states, say 25 or 30 or something? With a further stipulation that a certain percentage of them must be states with a population of less than a certain figure?
If all the primaries and caucuses were closer together, more candidates would still be around for most states. It's the way they have the primaries scheduled that needs a total makeover. I'd have all of them within a month of each other.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #117
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,010
Local Time: 08:07 AM
Far From Refuge is on Sordo, so I'm downloading it now. So's an EP called A Moment Of Stillness - worthwhile?

And what do you recommend for Sigur Ros?

Also, lawlz at send space:

Note: your download is limited to a max of 50KB/s. Click here to test a premium download and see how it would be when you use a Max account.

My maximum download speed is 55KB/sec and I rarely get past an overall average of 50KB/sec anyway!
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #118
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,010
Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan


If all the primaries and caucuses were closer together, more candidates would still be around for most states. It's the way they have the primaries scheduled that needs a total makeover. I'd have all of them within a month of each other.
That would definitely be a considerable improvement, and would hopefully give the best of both options. I honestly see no reason for primaries to be any earlier than June. It's becoming absurd that the election cycle is dragging on beyond a year, what with candidates already fundraising and campaigning back in 2007!
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #119
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Far From Refuge is on Sordo, so I'm downloading it now. So's an EP called A Moment Of Stillness - worthwhile?

And what do you recommend for Sigur Ros?

Also, lawlz at send space:

Note: your download is limited to a max of 50KB/s. Click here to test a premium download and see how it would be when you use a Max account.

My maximum download speed is 55KB/sec and I rarely get past an overall average of 50KB/sec anyway!
Oh yes, A Moment Of Stillness is very good also. Download both.

For Sigur Ros, I'd go with either Takk... or ( ). Both have some excellent songs (however, in my opinion, both can drag at times also). I can only listen to Sigur Ros in small doses.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 05-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #120
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,010
Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan


Oh yes, A Moment Of Stillness is very good also. Download both.

For Sigur Ros, I'd go with either Takk... or ( ). Both have some excellent songs (however, in my opinion, both can drag at times also). I can only listen to Sigur Ros in small doses.
Righto, shall do.

I'd like to get into Sigur Ros, since they're playing Melbourne in August and I hear they're exceptional live. So I'll do some downloading and hope that I like it a lot. After my PT jaunt, I really badly need more live gigs. Still tossing up whether or not to see Opeth.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com