The Mullet, Ireland Superthread - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I have about 3 hours of music (21 tracks) sitting in a playlist that I need to sort. At this stage, it has far too much Porcupine Tree compared to everything else, but I'm not sure this is a bad thing.
I think I am going to expose people to 8-11 minute songs that need to be that length. Hopefully it will break some stereotypes.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
There is a report out that says Justine Henin is going to retire.

No. She is the best female tennis player out there.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:22 AM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:33 AM
I haven't decided on my introduction CD completely yet, either. I was definitely going to have Husker Du, not that they're unknown, of course, but because more people should respect their body of work from 84-85. I came to this decision when noticing that a curiously large number of people seem to think Candy Apple Grey their best album. You can't possibly say this if you've heard Zen Arcade, Flip Your Wig or New Day Rising (Howzat? Three albums in two years).

And the others - uh, I have no idea. Gene Krupa or something, heh.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Part of me wants to introduce you all to Sun Ra but it might blow your minds.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #95
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

I think I am going to expose people to 8-11 minute songs that need to be that length. Hopefully it will break some stereotypes.
I'm trying to demonstrate the genre's diversity, and that it's not just long songs - though I am using plenty of those, and I feel morally obliged to close the tracklist with the 26:06 Stranger In Your Soul by Transatlantic. Anesthetize by PT is also there to melt a few faces. I mean, holy shit, the middle section of Anesthetize live in Brisbane is the best live moment of music I've heard in my life, excluding One Tree Hill. I was lightheaded from headbanging afterwards.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #96
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
I haven't decided on my introduction CD completely yet, either. I was definitely going to have Husker Du, not that they're unknown, of course, but because more people should respect their body of work from 84-85. I came to this decision when noticing that a curiously large number of people seem to think Candy Apple Grey their best album. You can't possibly say this if you've heard Zen Arcade, Flip Your Wig or New Day Rising (Howzat? Three albums in two years).

And the others - uh, I have no idea. Gene Krupa or something, heh.
Heh, I was reminded of you after reading one of the worst album lists ever put online, which mentions Zen Arcade as an album you should remove from your music collection (as well as War, JT, and Zooropa). I don't like a lot of what's on that list, but whoever wrote it is a fucking idiot talking out of their arse.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Husker Du stuff you include. Wasn't Zen Arcade recorded in something ridiculous like just two days? I'd like to see U2 do THAT!

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Heh, I was reminded of you after reading one of the worst album lists ever put online
His thoughts on jazz are hilarious.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Heh, I was reminded of you after reading one of the worst album lists ever put online, which mentions Zen Arcade as an album you should remove from your music collection (as well as War, JT, and Zooropa). I don't like a lot of what's on that list, but whoever wrote it is a fucking idiot talking out of their arse.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Husker Du stuff you include. Wasn't Zen Arcade recorded in something ridiculous like just two days? I'd like to see U2 do THAT!
Heh, some of that list was pretty funny. I'm sure there was a bit of piss taking.

If he thought Zen Arcade was an unlistenable mess (How the fuck is Never Talking to You Again unlistenable? It's a goddamn acoustic song under two minutes long!) the guy would kill himself if he heard Land Speed Record. I'm a huge Husker fan, but I couldn't tell the difference if that album were played backwards.

And yes, Zen Arcade was completely finished in about 85 hours. It's the best album made in that time you'll ever hear.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #99
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Heh, some of that list was pretty funny. I'm sure there was a bit of piss taking.

If he thought Zen Arcade was an unlistenable mess (How the fuck is Never Talking to You Again unlistenable? It's a goddamn acoustic song under two minutes long!) the guy would kill himself if he heard Land Speed Record. I'm a huge Husker fan, but I couldn't tell the difference if that album were played backwards.

And yes, Zen Arcade was completely finished in about 85 hours. It's the best album made in that time you'll ever hear.
A lot of the list brings the lulz, but often in the sense of "this is just daft". Most of the reasons don't even make sense. I guess in that sense, it's much like EYKIW!

Let's lock U2 in a room, tell them we'll come back in 100 hours, and release whatever they've made. In the eighties, that probably would have produced their best album ever. Today, I bet it will produce the following album:

1. Beautiful Week
2. Levitating To Get Vertigo From Elevation
3. Sometimes You're Stuck In The World You Look At Beneath Her Feet
4. Kneel
5. Soul
6. The Goal
7. Original Hands That Built New York
8. All Because Of Xanax And Fast Cars
9. Summer Rain In Blinding Cities
10. Kneeling
11. Yahweh's Graceful Mercy

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Whoa, I actually really agree with this, and I'm a Coltrane fan:

"
Most jazz created after the Big Band era is essentially musical masturbation (and like masturbation, if you must do it, you should do it in private!). It's self-indulgent noodling interesting only to the person playing it, a few fetishists, and lots of psuedo-intellectuals and wannabe hipsters who have to pretend to like it because it's "cool." "
Old 05-14-2008, 10:05 AM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

A lot of the list brings the lulz, but often in the sense of "this is just daft". Most of the reasons don't even make sense. I guess in that sense, it's much like EYKIW!

Let's lock U2 in a room, tell them we'll come back in 100 hours, and release whatever they've made. In the eighties, that probably would have produced their best album ever. Today, I bet it will produce the following album:

1. Beautiful Week
2. Levitating To Get Vertigo From Elevation
3. Sometimes You're Stuck In The World You Look At Beneath Her Feet
4. Kneel
5. Soul
6. The Goal
7. Original Hands That Built New York
8. All Because Of Xanax And Fast Cars
9. Summer Rain In Blinding Cities
10. Kneeling
11. Yahweh's Graceful Mercy

Let's make it a double album.

1. Gee Thanks, God!
2. Somalia
3. uhh fuck those were all the titles I had guys fuck uh jesus okay this song can be called The Edge I just came up with it lol
4. Label Torn off From Heineken Stubbie
5. Dirty Day (ive had this in the vaults for a while and it seems we never recorded it))
6. Larry Drumming
7. alright thats about it guys lets go to la guillotine for some fine foie gras, oh and we can release this like whenever
Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Whoa, I actually really agree with this, and I'm a Coltrane fan:

"
Most jazz created after the Big Band era is essentially musical masturbation (and like masturbation, if you must do it, you should do it in private!). It's self-indulgent noodling interesting only to the person playing it, a few fetishists, and lots of psuedo-intellectuals and wannabe hipsters who have to pretend to like it because it's "cool." "
I can't possibly agree. Jazz is about releasing one's emotions unedited. It is not masturbation. Jazz post big band is the best because it is playing while in a trance. The musician is giving in to the passion inside themselves. Coltrane was one of the best at this.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #103
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Let's make it a double album.

1. Gee Thanks, God!
2. Somalia
3. uhh fuck those were all the titles I had guys fuck uh jesus okay this song can be called The Edge I just came up with it lol
4. Label Torn off From Heineken Stubbie
5. Dirty Day (ive had this in the vaults for a while and it seems we never recorded it))
6. Larry Drumming
7. alright thats about it guys lets go to la guillotine for some fine foie gras, oh and we can release this like whenever
Here's the lead single:

CD, v1
1. Beautiful Week
2. Sometimes
3. Larry Drumming (Live On Top Of The Poops)

CD, v2
1. Beautiful Week
2. Umbrella
3. Beautiful Week (Dance Mix)
4. Beautiful Week (Week of Beauty Mix)
5. Beautiful Week (Super Apollo Mercury Astronaut 44,000 Jehovah's Witnesses Jesus Praying Kneeling Megamix Remix)

DVD
1. Beautiful Week with music video
2. Beautiful Week (live on Some MTV Show)
3. Larry Drumming (live on Ayer's Rock)
4. Somalia (live in Sudan)
5. Photograph slideshow of Bono preaching

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #104
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
I can't possibly agree. Jazz is about releasing one's emotions unedited. It is not masturbation.
Truly, said by someone who has never masturbated.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

I love a lot of post big band jazz, but the majority of it is exactly as described, to me. It's something I can appreciate and be fascinated with, but not completely dig.

I think the trance thing was still there before the 50s. The difference is, songs weren't fifteen minutes long.

Tags
superthread