The Mullet, Ireland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Righto, shall do.

I'd like to get into Sigur Ros, since they're playing Melbourne in August and I hear they're exceptional live. So I'll do some downloading and hope that I like it a lot. After my PT jaunt, I really badly need more live gigs. Still tossing up whether or not to see Opeth.

No other noteworthy acts coming around any time soon?

Axver said:

Righto, shall do.

I'd like to get into Sigur Ros, since they're playing Melbourne in August and I hear they're exceptional live. So I'll do some downloading and hope that I like it a lot. After my PT jaunt, I really badly need more live gigs. Still tossing up whether or not to see Opeth.

For Sigur Ros I'd start with Von. It is murky and is the most energetic of their albums.

I wouldn't worry about the audience at Opeth. If you enjoy the artist than you should go.

phanan said:

No other noteworthy acts coming around any time soon?

There's a gig in a couple of nights featuring Jakob, who I love, but the headliner is Cog, who I have no interest in, and since I'd have to go alone, I won't bother just for 40 or so minutes of Jakob. I'm hopeful they will tour Australia headlining soon, since they're a Kiwi band and all.

At the moment, upcoming Melbourne gigs that I know of:

01/08: Sigur Ros
05/09: Opeth
15/10: Meshuggah (never actually listened to much of them, but I hear their technicality is astonishing and they rarely tour anywhere, so it's a "maybe")

Screwtape2 said:

For Sigur Ros I'd start with Von. It is murky and is the most energetic of their albums.

I wouldn't worry about the audience at Opeth. If you enjoy the artist than you should go.

I listened to Von. Outside of Myrkur, which is fucking awesome, it's a horribly dull experience. Truckloads of atmosphere, but little substance to make it worthwhile.

Yeah, I think I will go. The Palace has a little upstairs GA balcony, so at worst I can just go up there and watch the floor. I expect an Opeth crowd to be pretty intense.

Then again, I have gotten pretty bloody used to being front row for things ... I've been on the rail four shows in a row now.

Axver said:

There's a gig in a couple of nights featuring Jakob, who I love, but the headliner is Cog, who I have no interest in, and since I'd have to go alone, I won't bother just for 40 or so minutes of Jakob. I'm hopeful they will tour Australia headlining soon, since they're a Kiwi band and all.

At the moment, upcoming Melbourne gigs that I know of:

01/08: Sigur Ros
05/09: Opeth
15/10: Meshuggah (never actually listened to much of them, but I hear their technicality is astonishing and they rarely tour anywhere, so it's a "maybe")

I've heard of Jakob, but haven't listened to any of their stuff. How many albums do they have?

Meshuggah? Don't know that one.

Dear JSTOR,

Your new format, while looking a little more professional, sucks. The older, simpler appearance was better.

Cheers,
Ax

Screwtape2 said:

Damn, how do you get these tickets?

General Admission, then mostly just dumb luck. It seems lots of people go for merch or drinks when they get through the doors, so I just stroll up to the front row. I mean, for EITS I arrived just 10-15 minutes before doors opened! For PT, I arrived 1 hour before doors in Melbourne and 2-2.5 hours before doors in Sydney and Brisbane. Feels like nothing in comparison to U2!

Phanan, I'm going to put you on the spot again. :wink:

What 70's prog artists should everyone know? I want a good sampling of prog from that era and don't want to forget anyone.

I'll let you take your time to think about that. So leave your answer anywhere in this thread.

phanan said:

I've heard of Jakob, but haven't listened to any of their stuff. How many albums do they have?

Meshuggah? Don't know that one.

Jakob have three albums, of which Cale:Drew is generally considered their best. There's also a self-titled EP, their debut, which I'm fond of, though my favourite release is the Dominion single - just one long 29:16 slab of post-rock glory. I highly recommend it.

Meshuggah are a technical death metal band. Doubt it's your sort of thing.

Screwtape2 said:

What 70's prog artists should everyone know? I want a good sampling of prog from that era and don't want to forget anyone.

I'll let you take your time to think about that. So leave your answer anywhere in this thread.

Funny you ask this, as I was just about to ask both of you what prog bands you think I should make sure I represent in my third wave of prog list.

I obviously have the usual suspects like PT, DT, PRR, Spock's Beard, and Transatlantic.

Screwtape2 said:

I think it's obvious that everyone should know the major acts from the 70's, in which case you'll know them all already:

Pink Floyd
Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Rush
Kansas
Queen

Then you've got your second teir, so to speak, who didn't gain the commercial success of the first list, but still are relatively known:

Focus
Gentle Giant
Strawbs
Tangerine Dream
etc.

And then for really obscure stuff, ask HardyHarHar. :wink:

Screwtape2 said:

Ayreon of course. You'd need Phanan's help for this one.

I don't have Ayreon on the list at this stage. I'm not into the Ayreon albums as much as I used to be. The Human Experiment and Universal Migrator II are kind of dull to me, so they're out. I still quite enjoy Universal Migrator I, but the way the tracks flow in and out of each other makes including one or two in isolation a bit difficult. Never got around to checking out the other albums beyond superficial listens.

Axver said:

Funny you ask this, as I was just about to ask both of you what prog bands you think I should make sure I represent in my third wave of prog list.

I obviously have the usual suspects like PT, DT, PRR, Spock's Beard, and Transatlantic.

I think the usual suspects are probably sufficient, although adding other artists such as Riverside would be ok, too.

I'd also add Anathema, who while aren't traditional prog, are close enough to the genre.

IQ might belong in the second wave more, but their 1998 album Subterranea was very good and probably could work with the third wave.

You've also got newer bands like Airbag and The Third Ending, who are decent enough even if they aren't breaking any new ground musically.

That's off the top of my head at the moment - I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a bit.

phanan said:

I think it's obvious that everyone should know the major acts from the 70's, in which case you'll know them all already:

Pink Floyd
Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Rush
Kansas
Queen

Then you've got your second teir, so to speak, who didn't gain the commercial success of the first list, but still are relatively known:

Focus
Gentle Giant
Strawbs
Tangerine Dream
etc.

Camel too. There's got to be some Camel.

Also, who's going to include Anglagard? Chronologically, they fall under my list, but sonically, they really belong with the first wave. They have to appear somewhere. Hybris is a masterpiece of an album.

phanan said:
I think the usual suspects are probably sufficient, although adding other artists such as Riverside would be ok, too.

I'd also add Anathema, who while aren't traditional prog, are close enough to the genre.

IQ might belong in the second wave more, but their 1998 album Subterranea was very good and probably could work with the third wave.

You've also got newer bands like Airbag and The Third Ending, who are decent enough even if they aren't breaking any new ground musically.

That's off the top of my head at the moment - I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a bit.

Riverside and The Third Ending are both there. You have no idea how pissed I am that last year, I missed a concert featuring The Third Ending and Template because I didn't know about it until about when The Third Ending would have been taking the stage. They need to get their arses up to the mainland from Tassie again soon.

I hope somebody does the second wave, to cover bands like IQ, Marillion, Pallas, Pendragon, etc. Not much of an IQ fan myself.

Anathema I'm thinking about, though they aren't there yet.

I know I'll have to cut some PT epics. I have five PT songs on the list, of which the SHORTEST is Arriving Somewhere But Not Here.

phanan said:

Pink Floyd
Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Rush
Kansas
Queen

Focus
Gentle Giant
Strawbs
Tangerine Dream
etc.

I'm making a CD with a lot of those artists and gathering Youtube links for them. If there are any Youtube videos that have to be included tell me.

I can't wait to freak people out Dunedin Sound-wise by linking them to an awesome video of The Dead C that's on YouTube. I'll save that one until I've sucked people in ...

OK folks, I have a lecture tomorrow at the comparatively early hour of midday, so since it's 2:30am here, I should get some sleep. Have a good one and keep the thread progressing. :wink:

:wave:

Edit: Just checked post stats before leaving. Holy shit, people!

Total Posts: 142
User Posts
Axver 51
The Sad Punk 19
Screwtape2 18
phanan 17
KhanadaRhodes 13
bono_man2002 8
Varitek 5
mysterious_jen 4
bono_212 4
coolian2 3

:laugh:

Anyway, I'm gone! :wave:

Axver said:
Edit: Just checked post stats before leaving. Holy shit, people!

Total Posts: 142
User Posts
Axver 51
The Sad Punk 19
Screwtape2 18
phanan 17
KhanadaRhodes 13
bono_man2002 8
Varitek 5
mysterious_jen 4
bono_212 4
coolian2 3

:laugh:

Anyway, I'm gone! :wave:

The sad part is that it probably won't change that much by the time you wake up. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom