The most innovative band of the 90's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel

Elvis' Naughty Angel
Smashing Pumpkins.

Hands down. Look at what we got from them in the ten years of their existence:

Gish - 1991
Siamese Dream - 1993
Pisces Iscariot - 1994
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - 1995
Adore - 1998
Machina/The Machines of God - 2000
Machina 2/Friends and Enemies of Modern Music (unreleased. Well, except for 25 copies :huh: )
Greatest Hits w/ Judas O - 2001

Every album is different from the one before and gives its listeners something new and exciting. Their music is both dark and uplifting, and both angry and calm. Unbelievable. They still blow me away everytime I rediscover an older album or a bside long since listened too.
I am not going to sit here and review each album, because frankly I suck at it. You will either agree with me that YES, Smashing Pumpkins were indeed the most innovative band of the 90's or you won't. If you disagree, I want to hear why, and who you feel deserves the honour, and if you say Radiohead, make your argument long and detailed. :sexywink:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And for fun: Which Smashing Pumpkins album are you? http://www.pumpkinheads.net/test2/

gish.jpg
You are The Smashing Pumpkins album Gish!

t go around expressing your opinions to others,
and it's not like they mind it either. It doesn't matter to
you though. Who needs them. You've got your red pearls.
Oh shit, that blond-haired chick went and glued them to a
piece of cardboard that is supposed to eventually be your
album cover. Aww man, what's next? Is someone gonna
have to play her instrument too?

... and lastly, for Bear:

disco.jpg

i disagree but i don't want an arguement so i'm just going to say that i got the same album as you in that quiz

:up:

:laugh:

I wouldn't dare start an argument. :reject: Please tell me who you think is and why?

i'm not really sure who i'd argue for as the most influential band of the 90s. i'm no good at seperating "most influential" and "favourite". and whatever i argue for i could easily argue against five minutes later. i'd have to make a list in no particular order. the pumpkins would on that list, but they wouldn't be alone.

Not Influential. That brings on a whole new meaning. Innovative. You don't have to be influential to be innovative.

innovative. gah...i read wrong.

but i still mean the same thing. just switch the two words in my last post...

the pumpkins will always be one of my favorite bands. billy corgan is my hero. :heart:

mcis.jpg

You are The Smashing Pumpkins album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness!

You've got a lot to say, and you'll talk until it's all out, and for
some reason, no one tries to shut you up. I guess you actually
make sense most of the time. Almost everyone likes you, and
it's not just because you're cheap. Haha. Cheap as in thrifty, of
course. You get a bit depressed now and then, but who doesn't?
You seem to have a little anger built up inside, but who doesn't?
You like to stare at people through their bedroom window while
they're changing, but who doesn't? You sick bastard.

ya, id have to say the pumpkins.

radiohead would be up there too, IF they had also released kid a in that decade. ok computer isnt enough to warrant such high acclaim.

good choice angel, and THANK YOU for the picture. :winl:

i scared myself last night, as i realized at long last, that i have become truly obsessed with her.

As much as most people would say Nirvana, I definitely wouldnt. In my opinion Nirvana was obviously on the downward spiral musically, and I truthfully doubt whether or not they would have really remained on the scene if Kurt wouldnt have taken his own life.

I have a hard time with the influential thing, but I'd probably go with Radiohead. The Bends and Ok Computer really paved the way for most all of the truthfully "alternative" music you hear these days. I sure would hate the music scene without Radiohead.

Gickies Gageeze said:
if i didnt say radiohead and someone else did, it makes me feel rather dirty.

ah well.

Christina Aguilera dirty or a pig wallowing in its own fith dirty?

I guess those are both pretty much the same arent they...

If it's innovation you want, then definitely Radiohead.

Grunge bands didn nothing innovative.

Angel, I fail to see from your post how SP would be the most "innovative" band of the 90s. Your list of albums just show they have been one of the more prolific bands of the 90s, but this had nothing to do with being innovative. I've only heard Siamese Dream and a couple songs from some of the other albums, so perhaps, you can tell me what separates the sound of this band and what has come before it. I do enjoy Siamese Dream but there is nothing particularly revolutionary about the sound; however Corgan's vocals are pretty distinct.

U2 seemed very innovative to me, especially in the 90s. Or maybe some unlistenable music (which I don't listen to, but I have friends who do) like Aphex Twin, whose name gets bandied out a lot.

I wouldn't call either Radiohead or Smashing Pumpkins "innovative", although I'd agree that they both put fiercely individualistic spin on their music. A great many artists' back catalogues have albums that differ greatly from each other, so I don't see the reason to single out one group.

In fact, the term "innovative" gets thrown around for no good reason so often that I tend to stay away from it altogether.

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
or Beck

adore.jpg

You are The Smashing Pumpkins album Adore!

You've had a tough audience your whole life. If you want
someone to give you a good word, let's face it, you're going
to have to shell out some cash. This doesn't bruise you're
spirit though. Everyone's already against you, so you might
as well go against them. You're full of emotions and ideas
and you're going to get them out anyway you wish, just please,
spare us the strip tease and buy the blonde chick some new
clothes, preferably ones that are actually made of cloth

(...I can't stand the voice of Billy Corgan for more than 2 songs in a row...)

Most innovative band of the '90s? Underworld maybe (or were their first 2 albums in the '80s). The Urban Dance Squad is also pretty high on my list (there first album was released in 1989, but their other 4 studio albums are pretty eclectic and innovative too, not to mention influential).

C ya!

Marty

qball7200 said:
there is nothing particularly revolutionary about the sound; however Corgan's vocals are pretty distinct.

I don't feel they are particularly innovative, either. They didn't really push new envelopes or really evolve their sound *all* that much, or the sound of music in general *that* much. Yes, they were *different*, yes they were *prolific* in certain cases, but Most Innovative.. no. And Billy, while a great lyricist and frontman, has vocalics that can really grate on me.

They were excellent live though - I caught them for the Siamese Dream tour when I was in high school. I was in the front row in front of Iha.

I was a big fan until I started working in the "industry" some and heard alot about the band, drug use, terrible raving looney temperments and all around bad vibes. Which is not to say that all bands don't have their share of problems.. but you get what I'm saying.

Sorry to be so negative, Angel.

I love Smashing Pumpkins, but I wouldn't really call them innovative. They don't sound a whole lot different from a lot of what you hear on the radio, just better.

Last edited:
is corgan still a druggie? i imagine chamberlain is cleaned up, right?

and the others? i know d'arcy went nuts during the adore tour, but what about iha? any news?

Innovative is such a misused word that I've no idea where to begin. I have discussed this with someone else however, and come to the following conclusions:

1. Radiohead do deserve a mention, mainly for turning britpop on its head and creating the Joshua Tree in an airport.

2. Bjork - albums, and videos taken as a body of work. I swear, just about every second music video of the last six years owes something to Bjork running around doing funky hi-tech stuff. Innovative and influential, you might say.

3. Beck

4. The musical collective known as Massive Attack, and by default Tricky. I'm not the world's biggest fan of either, but if Blue Lines isn't innovation in the purest sense, then I don't know what is. An album composed entirely of samples from old soul records.

I'm not sure if the Pumpkins were really that innovative either, I just like them more than everyone else except maybe U2 and Radiohead. Honestly I really dont know what qualifies as innovative, I just know that no one else sounded like the Pumpkins, and their songs changed drastically with each release. Billy Corgan has written some brilliant lyrics over the years, no not all of his lyrics are great -- much like any other song writer -- but there were more great moments than cringe moments.

Is Billy Corgan still a druggie?? No, Billy Corgan freely admitted he used drugs in the early 90s but quit in the mid 90s when he saw what it was doing to himself and to people around him. I think he summed it up incredibly well in "this time"

for every chemical
you trade a piece of your soul
with no return
and who you think you know
doesn't know you at all
their drain is needless

it's up to you, you know

i've got to move it on
i've got to sing my song
while i still can

Back
Top Bottom