The most experimental/'out there' songs EVER! - Best of the Best!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
This is my top 5 for the most creative mindfuck explosions ever :wink:

1. Revolution 9 - The Beatles
2. Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict - Pink Floyd
3. Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors - Radiohead
4. Mofo - U2
5. Svefn g englar - Sigur Ros

#5 is a new entry. :wink:

1. Her Face Forms in Summertime - The Future Sound of London
2. Dead Cities - The Future Sound of London
3. Through Your Gills I Breathe - The Future Sound of London
4. Loomer - My Bloody Valentine
5. To Here Knows When - My Bloody Valentine

Zootlesque said:
Wow, I don't know any of those songs. :lol:

You're in real need of a musical education, it appears. My Bloody Valentine makes Radiohead look as imaginative as Bon Jovi.

Re: Re: The most experimental/'out there' songs EVER! - Best of the Best!

hippy said:

"What's the New Mary Jane" :ohmy:

And "The End" by The Doors blows my mind every time :yes:

Yes! I thought about Mary Jane! It's definitely out there esp. the rare version with Syd Barrett! Very very spooky! :ohmy:

The End is a great one too! :up:

Layton, I'm not sure if I 'need' any major musical education after all these years.. :eyebrow: but I'm always open to new music so I'll give MBV a try! :wink:

But the Bon Jovi comment is :tsk:

Re: Re: Re: The most experimental/'out there' songs EVER! - Best of the Best!

Zootlesque said:

Layton, I'm not sure if I 'need' any major musical education after all these years.. :eyebrow: but I'm always open to new music so I'll give MBV a try! :wink:

But the Bon Jovi comment is :tsk:

Trust me, if you've really never given MBV a try you are going to get an education. Don't mean that in a mean way, but the Loveless album is full of spectral soundscapes that I think make RH and PF look meek in that department. Get back to me when you've given Loveless a few spins. It's truly the most innovative rock album of the '90's.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The most experimental/'out there' songs EVER! - Best of the Best!

Layton said:

It's truly the most innovative rock album of the '90's.

Okay, so I listened to the Loveless samples on Amazon. :hmm: It does sound interesting. I'm aware of that whole shoegazing era of course along the lines of Blur's She's So High. I'd heard of My Bloody Valentine and comparisons of them to Floyd but never got any of their CDs.

I second Layton's recomm. regarding MBV, and would also suggest The Future Sound of London for those interested in ambient sounds a little bit outside the mainstream, espec. the following albums:-

(1) Accelerator (1992)
(2) Life Forms (1994)
(3) Dead Cities (1996)

Zootlesque said:
This is my top 5 for the most creative mindfuck explosions ever :wink:

1. Revolution 9 - The Beatles
2. Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict - Pink Floyd
3. Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors - Radiohead
4. Mofo - U2
5. Svefn g englar - Sigur Ros

I'll have to agree with Layton on this one, Zoo. While I don't have anything against any of the non-Floyd songs on your list, if you think that "Mofo" is one of the most experimental songs ever recorded, it SEEMS like you don't know a lot of music out of which to form a fully educated opinion. I'm not saying you don't know a lot of music--it's just an easy conclusion for a music snob (which, yes, I am) like myself to jump to. That said, I'd have to agree with you 150% about "Revolution 9." Not only is it one of the more experimental pieces of contemporary music ever to have been recorded, but it is clearly the single most influential musical composition of the last 50 years. Otherwise, something like this is real tough to do...there's way too much music out there for me to be too assured about most of my choices or whatever.

I'm a bit confused by your language, too. For me, I'm not sure that "creative," "out there," and "experimental" are neccessarily the same thing. That's my problem, of course, but it sort of left me feeling conflicted on a few of my choices. I'm an idiot.

My List:

1) The Beatles: "Revolution 9"
2) Lou Reed: "Metal Machine Music, Pts. 1-4"
3) Eno: "Discreet Music"
4) The Velvet Underground: "Sister Ray"
5) Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention: "Return of the Son of Monster Magnet (Unfinished Ballet in Two Tableaux: I. Ritual Dance of the Child-Killer; II. Nullis Pretii (No Commercial Potential))"

God. What a phallocentric list. Thank fucking Jesus that Tucker is poundin' the skins on "Sister Ray," or I'd sound like a sexist prick.

Oh, and I do love me some Xiu Xiu. Spent too much time last night listening to A Promise a few times through, even if I don't really think their music is individual enough to land on a list such as this one. My Bloody Valentine owns as well, but again...I dunno about this list. Whatever. Good music all 'round, if you ask me.

Last edited:
God Bless Our Dead Marines by A Silver Mt. Zion and Tra-La-La Band Memorial Orchestra.

It's an 11 minute masterpiece.

If you shout... said:

I was just waiting for someone to mention Metal Machine Music....is it really as unlistenable as some claim or is it worth buying?

As for Mofo.....yeah I'd agree it's not particularly original. There's a clear Stone Roses influence there I feel.

Re: Re: Re: The most experimental/'out there' songs EVER! - Best of the Best!

financeguy said:

I was just waiting for someone to mention Metal Machine Music....is it really as unlistenable as some claim or is it worth buying?

As for Mofo.....yeah I'd agree it's not particularly original. There's a clear Stone Roses influence there I feel.

It's worth buying if you're a musical historian or an idiot--unfortunately, I suppose I'm more the latter than the former. :wink: It's by leagues the greatest "FUCK YOU" record of all time, but it goes so far beyond "unlistenable" as to render the term obsolete. Again, though...just a terribly important piece of music. This was the birth of noise-rock: without it, there is no Black Dice, no Yellow Swan, no anything (and there are a LOT more drone/noise/etc. bands out there--TONS!!!!). I'm sure this aesthetic would've been borne out in time, but not as we now recognize/understand it, and probably not on the same timeline. It changed the face of music in a painfully abortive way.

As for "MOFO," I really do love the song. I think that saying there's a Stone Roses influence is sort of a moot point, though, and almost gives the song more credit than it deserves--my point is that there are so many influences that it doesn't really "matter" in the same type of way as many of these other recordings do. It's just a louder, slightly techno-ey U2 song...which makes it a louder, slightly techno-ey run-of-the-mill rock'n'roll song, in the end. Is it one of my favorite U2 tracks? Definitely. But is it important to MUSIC, as opposed to the band's, history? Hardly. Not at all, actually.

Bottom line: DON'T BUY METAL MACHINE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

david said:
God Bless Our Dead Marines by A Silver Mt. Zion and Tra-La-La Band Memorial Orchestra.

It's an 11 minute masterpiece.

and that's a "normal" song on 'Horses in the Sky'

great album

Silver Mount Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-la-la Band, formely known as A Silver Mt. Zion and later as Thee Silver Mountain Reveries ;)

If you shout... said:

My List:

1) The Beatles: "Revolution 9"
3) Eno: "Discreet Music"
4) The Velvet Underground: "Sister Ray"
5) Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention: "Return of the Son of Monster Magnet (Unfinished Ballet in Two Tableaux: I. Ritual Dance of the Child-Killer; II. Nullis Pretii (No Commercial Potential))"

:bow:

Looks like I'm still a novice with experimental music compared to you geniuses.

:p

Someone somewhere online posted a chunk of Metal Machine Music for download. Ever curious, I downloaded it to see what all the fuss was about.

I got about 5 minutes into it before laughing, saying "Right, got it" and deleting the file.

Jack In The Box said:

and that's a "normal" song on 'Horses in the Sky'

great album

Silver Mount Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-la-la Band, formely known as A Silver Mt. Zion and later as Thee Silver Mountain Reveries ;)

i've also been listening to born into trouble.. and he has left us... a lot lately.

all the godspeed you! offshoots are great.

listen to Set Fire To Flames! another Godspeed side project, also with Fly Pan Am members

'Sings Reign Rebuilder' is an awesome album, beautiful :drool:

I have a winner, it just came to my mind:

'Jerusalem' by Sleep
70 minutes long song

Can I just state almost everything by The Flaming Lips is out there? Except their recent cover of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' which is quite frankly lovely! :)

WinnieThePoo said:
Supper's Ready by Genesis

That's a cool song.

how about some Mr. Bungle (songs).
-Desert Search for Techno Allah
-Goodbye Sober Day
among others....

strange funny, absurdly talented musicians.
Not for everyone, but what's the use in naming one of the usual supsects.

Last edited:
"Sex Bomb"-Flipper
"Rattamahatta"-Sepultura
"Speed Racer"-DEVO
"Stabbed in the Face"-Wolf Eyes
"Tape My Wife to the Ceiling"-The Suburbs
"Welcome to This World"-Primus, anything by Primus

Back
Top Bottom