The most depressing band...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a lot depends on what you view as being depressing

to quote the booklet that accompanies the Best Off TISM album:
"People have always hated TISM for the wrong reasons. They've scoffed at the humour - as if humour is easy, and pained angst is hard. Only an adolescent could take pained angst seriously; it takes an adult to see how funny pain can be. To paraphrase Wilde, you'd have to have a heart of stone to be able to listen to the pain in Radiohead's songs and not laugh. They've scoffed at the swearing, like primary school teachers, the type that says, 'You know, there's always a better word than a swear word.' ..... "

Erm Radiohead, Coldplay's "Parachutes", early David Gray stuff (I dunno why, it just really seems to make me sad)...and when my friend played me Damien Rice's "O" I found a lot of that completely bummed me out :huh:

Joy Division.

I've never heard more heartbreak in a song than Love will tear us apart.

Damien Rice

Literally, with the exception of the last song, the most depressing album I've listened to straight through. I remember actually feeling down for a full day after hearing the album

I'd say Radiohead as they rarely have an optimstic song and Thom seems to point out only negative feelings. However I'm sure its therapeutic to do so and their fans definitely don't SEE their music as depressing but as uplifting.

What I don't understand is why I'm seeing so MANY Coldplay responses here!! This is the band that said:

"we live in a beautiful world

oh all that i know
there's nothing here to run from
cause here, everybody here's got somebody to lean on"

the outright love anthem of yellow (nothing depressing there)

"i want to live life and always be true
i want to live life and be good to you
oh i want to fly and never come down
and live my life and have friends around "-depressing?

"and you thought that it was over
you could feel it all around
and everybody's out to get you
don't you let it drag you down

cause if you ever feel neglected
and if you think that all is lost
i'll be counting up my demons, yeah
hoping everything's not lost "

"now i never meant to do you wrong
that's what i came here to say
and if i was wrong then I'm sorry
but don't let it stand in our way
cause my head just aches when I think of
the things that i shouldn't have done
but life is for living, we all know
and i don't want to live it alone "

+

I agree that there is a more mature, somewhat bleaker outlook with AROBTTH and yet there is Green Eyes (straight-out love song), Warning Sign (getting scared in a relationship and yet realizing that and running to fix it), and Amsterdam (hope at the end of despair). Even the less optimistic songs still echo with love & hope...

Anyways sorry just had to comment :)

RockNRollDawgie said:
everything Roger Waters has done solo or will do solo. :)

Nope.

Listen to "Flickering Flame" and "Each Small Candle". Both probably to be on his upcoming solo CD.

I agree though everything solo Rog has done previously is very bleak.

My list of musicians that have made some music that has depressed me before: (Keep in mind that just because something doesn't depress you doesn't mean it can't depress someone else completely)

Starsailor
Coldplay
The Cure
Leonard Cohen
Depeche Mode
NIN
Tori Amos
Aimee Mann
Radiohead
Portishead
David Bowie
Damien Rice
Counting Crows
PJ Harvey
Fiona Apple

Two of the most depressing albums/best albums to listen to for cathartic purposes:

Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Tracy Chapman - New Beginning

And although I own none of their albums, Staind's music does seem pretty depressing. I would also agree that AFI can be both depressing and uplifting, good for venting anger, good for bouncing around joyfully. Their versatility is one of the reasons I love them.

I recall someone saying :'If you think you're feeling rotten, play some Leonard Cohen. He's bound to make you feel even worse'. :wink:
But yes, 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' certainly deserves a top position.

I still say that everyone should at least listen to the entire Palace Music album "Arise, therefore" first before we can come to any sort of conclusion :p

Oh yeah, might as well throw in There Is No One What Will Take Care Of You for good measure too. :evil:

songs: ohia, the lioness, is another really happy happy joy joy album. :angel:

ergh. i need booze now.
:|

Back
Top Bottom