The Moon And Antarctica discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
735.jpg

Just a week ago, if you would asked me what I thought of Modest Mouse, I would have told you that I thought they were overrated and mediocre. I would have based that on the song Float On, which I've always hated and readily associate with the band. However, last Sunday night I heard the first few songs of M&A and I changed my mind about them instantly.

This is one cool record.

Best song: Dark Center Of The Universe. I absolutely love this song. The way it swings from a somber but beautiful dirge into an arena-sized hard rocker and back as smoothly as it does is nothing short of spectacular.

3rd Planet, Gravity Rides Everything, The Stars Are Projectors, Paper Thin Walls, and I Came As A Rat are equally notable, but the whole album is a gorgeous, epic rollercoaster ride filled with existential lyrics, moody gorgeousness, and a whole lot of indietastic goodness. Pitchfork went overboard by giving it a 9.8 or whatever, but it's the best album I've been introduced to so far this summer.

I'm wearin myself a t-shirt that says the world is my ashtray
Our hearts pump dust and our hair's all gray

DOES ANYBODY KNOW A WAY THAT A BODY COULD GET AWAY
DOES ANYBODY KNOW A WAY?

:love:

Awesome album, although I think The Lonesome Crowded West is better.

XHendrix24 said:
I'm wearin myself a t-shirt that says the world is my ashtray
Our hearts pump dust and our hair's all gray

DOES ANYBODY KNOW A WAY THAT A BODY COULD GET AWAY
DOES ANYBODY KNOW A WAY?

:love:

:drool:

It's on my DI4 playlist.

I highly suggest buying the extended edition of of iTunes. You get the whole album plus a bunch of radio sessions for about 10 bucks. :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:

:drool:

It's on my DI4 playlist.

I highly suggest buying the extended edition of of iTunes. You get the whole album plus a bunch of radio sessions for about 10 bucks. :up:

And, reportedly, the mix is completely different.

Really now?

I might have to torrent the original release and compare.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Really now?

I might have to torrent the original release and compare.

According to falsepedia , Isaac Brock remixed it himself due to his dissatisfaction with the original mix. Pitchfork even noted this.

LemonMelon said:

According to falsepedia , Isaac Brock remixed it himself due to his dissatisfaction with the original mix. Pitchfork even noted this.

That's why I didn't know about it then. :wink:

I hate this album because I hate the songs (and especially the foregrounded lyrics/vocals), but this is an honest observation, rather than judgment: both mixes are terrible (terrible!), but the more recent one isn't as bad as the original was, in 2001. Some people might for some horrible reason like the music, and that's all well and good...but it seems that this album is bound forever to suffer from abominable work at the boards.

I do like "3rd Planet" and "Paper Thin Walls," though, for whatever that's worth. Snappy, showy little tunes. Great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom