The Monster appreciation thread for those that are brave enough to admit it!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Lately I'm not able to get enough of this album. So I thought I'd do a little song by song review:

What's The Frequency, Kenneth?
As soon as that distorted guitar intro kicks in, you know you're gonna be in for a kind of ride that you've never experienced before with REM. What a kickass song to open the album with! This track instantly takes me back to the times spent watching the strange, multi-colored, almost psychedelic video on MTV where one got the first glimpse of Stipe's new bald look. Oh, and that guitar solo at about two thirds into the song is to die for!

Fav lyric: I was brain-dead, locked out, numb, not up to speed

Crush With Eyeliner
I am smitten. More like I was smitten as soon as I heard this cool as heck new REM song with a video featuring a bunch of asian guys on the subway??? (if I remember right) How random is that? :lol: Just a fun, catchy song but god knows what the lyrics are about!

Fav lyric: We all invent ourselves and, uh, you know me

King Of Comedy
I didn't like this one much at the beginning. But soon enough, it grew on me. It's good fun to sing along to and the lyrics remind me of Pink Floyd's Animals, if you know what I mean. :lol:

Fav lyric: You can lie as long as you mean it

I Don't Sleep, I Dream
The pace slows down a bit with some gorgeous swirling guitar. Relaxing track, both musically and lyrically... are you coming to ease my headache? Last but not least, great falsettos here!

Fav lyric: I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need

Star 69
Now this is what I'm talking about! Hard driving, high speed, punky REM! Great drumming, addictive vocals.. 'I know you called, I know you called...', heavy bass, great overall track!

Fav lyric: Dunno. I didn't even know most of the lyrics until I looked at the lyrics online. :lol:

Strange Currencies
Very nice ballad to end Side A. Why I say this is cos I owned Monster on cassette for the longest time! The guitar work here really fills up the song beautifully.

Fav lyric: I need a chance, a second chance, a third chance, a fourth chance, a word, a signal, a nod, a little breath just to fool myself, to catch myself, to make it real, real

Tongue
More falsetto! A lot more falsetto!!! This one came off boring at first but after a few listens, the beauty of this song sunk in. Especially that guitar at 2:14 :combust:

Fav lyric: None

Bang And Blame
Yeah! Quite possibly my favorite track on this cd. I love everything about this song, the echoing guitar, the addictive beat, the 'really really fun to sing along to' lyrics, the quick tight guitar solo and the outro! Oh... and that reprise guitar at the end. :drool: Simply awesome!

Fav lyric: You kiss on me, tug on me, rub on me, jump on me, you bang on me, beat on me, hit on me, let go on me, you let go on me.

I Took Your Name
Another kick ass song which is IMO almost as good as Bang & Blame but not quite. All points to that beautiful beautiful guitar in the chorus! And Stipe's vocals buried deep in the mix of course.

Fav lyric: If there is some confusion, who's to blame?

Let Me In
Okay, this is quite jarring on the album I have to admit. I wish they had produced this better. But inside that wall of distorted guitar lies a really nice song. I was fortunate enough to listen to a stripped down, acoustic (I think) version of it on a fan club only Christmas single from 2001. I would rip it for you guys but the CD is copy protected. :|

Circus Envy
Here comes that awful feeling again! :rockon: :dance: Danceable rock? with a lot of distortion, effects and what not in the mix! Catchy as hell!

You
Slow sludgy end, this song is like stirring molasses. :crack: Despite the 'noise', nice vocals here by Mr. Stipe. This is another song I'd like to listen to in an acoustic setting without the distortion. I wonder if there is any version out there.

Nevertheless, that is my assessment of Monster, an album which I love to death maybe because it was really the first REM album I purchased and listened to at the same time that it came out. I'm glad that the band was brave enough to put so much distortion into an album and risk being called grunge followers. But in reality, this is not grunge. It is a sound of its own! So I don't care what the critics say, this album kicks solid ass! :rockon:

09064-4.jpg

This is my 3rd favorite R.E.M. album after Automatic for the People and Out of Time. The whole band is on their A-game, and it just has an edge to it unlike any other R.E.M. release. Great analysis Zoots.

I like every song, and love a good chunk of it:

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Crush With Eyeliner
I Don't Sleep, I Dream
Strange Currencies
Tongue
Bang and Blame
Circus Envy
You

:drool:

My favorite lyric off of the whole album is in Crush With Eyeliner:

I know you
I know you've seen her
She's a sad tomato
She's 3 miles of bad road
Walking down the street
Will I never meet her?
Shes a real woman-child
Oh my kiss breath turpentine

Classic Stipe :up:

Let Me In is amazing.

If I recall correctly, the guitar Mike Mills is thrashing away on belonged to Kurt Cobain.

... seriously, did you ever see them play that song live? Yowza.

The album sounds very dated to me, more so than any of their 80's albums, but still love some of the tunes.

Sleep To Dream, King of Comedy, Let Me In...all great tunes. But I don't really listen to this album much anymore.

corianderstem said:
Let Me In is amazing.

If I recall correctly, the guitar Mike Mills is thrashing away on belonged to Kurt Cobain.

... seriously, did you ever see them play that song live? Yowza.

I don't know about the guitar belonging to Kurt, but the song was about him.

"I only wish that I could hear you whisper down,
Mister fisherman, to a less peculiar ground.
He gathered up his loved ones and he brought them all around
To say goodbye, nice try.

Hey, let me in. yeah yeah yeah
Hey, let me in. Let me in.

I had a mind to try to stop you. Let me in. Let me in."

:sad:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I don't know about the guitar belonging to Kurt, but the song was about him.

Maybe the guitar on the record wasn't his, but the one he played on tour during this song was? Something like that. I'm not making it up, I swear! :wink:

It sounds dated to me, too. I rarely listen to it, and there are only 2 or 3 songs on it I can still honestly say I like.

Let Me In
I Took Your Name

corianderstem said:

It sounds dated to me, too. I rarely listen to it, and there are only 2 or 3 songs on it I can still honestly say I like.

Let Me In
I Took Your Name

What about...

Bang & Blame
Crush With Eyeliner
Star 69
Strange Currencies

:sad:

Crush With Eyeliner and Bang and Blame? Depends on my mood that day.

Star 69 and Strange Currencies do nothing for me anymore.

But I'm okay with that ... there's so much REM that I still love, so I get along fine without the bulk of Monster. :wink:

Love, love this record and love the tour, even though the show in my city, being only the second ever, was woefully underehearsed :wink: and better for it. :D

great record
a bit to same-ish for me to be one of my absolute R.E.M. faves, but great anyway

I have no trouble admitting that this is one of my favorite R.E.M. albums. It's the one that finally turned me into a fan. I'd gone through the 80s and early 90s hearing some of the radio hits but it all clicked for me with this album and they eventually became my favorite band.

Aygo said:
Monster is soooooooooooooooo overrated!:huh:

among who?

I know when people mention R.E.M. they talk about Automatic, Out of Time, and Document.

:shrug:

Aygo said:
Monster is soooooooooooooooo overrated!:huh:

No, it's not. Regardless of personal opinion, this often is considered a sore thumb in REMs catalog, so it can't be overrated.

BTW, I think it is great and therefore underrated.

It's a sore thumb as far as I can remember. :huh:

But you guys have made want to drag it out and listen to it again. I'll admit, it's been at least 10 years since I've listened to it.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

Maybe the guitar on the record wasn't his, but the one he played on tour during this song was? Something like that. I'm not making it up, I swear! :wink:
Nope, not making it up!

From Craig Rosen's R.E.M. Inside Out:

"In recognition of their support, Courtney Love presented the band with a lime green Fender guitar designed by Cobain. R.E.M. put the guitar, which had to be restrung for a right-handed player, to good use during the Monster tour, appropriately on 'Let Me In.' For live performances of the song, the members of R.E.M. switched instruments. Bassist Mills played Cobain's guitar, drummer Berry kept time on a tambourine, while guitarist Peter Buck played keyboards."

I believe they opened almost all the encores with that song too, and it sounds incredible live. The Monster era has always been a favorite of mine, the album itself having some of the strongest lyrics from Stipe and the phenomenal tour.

bonosgirl84 said:
i saw REM for the first time on the monster tour.

great show

Me too, amazing show. Never forget that weekend, I saw Ramones open for PJ(who did a cover of 'Talk about the Passion' for REM). And then the next night same venue Radiohead and Natalie Merchant opened for REM...:drool:

and then I got a speeding ticket driving back to my college town that night, but well worth it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
and then I got a speeding ticket driving back to my college town that night, but well worth it.

hehe. the monster tour must have brought bad luck. after my show, i was holding someone's hand as we jumped down a series of concrete steps, took a fall, and dislocated my shoulder.

but it was well worth it for me, too.

Damn, I missed them on all those tours cos I wasn't even living in this country back then. I did catch them on the Around The Sun tour, the thursday right after Bush had been re-elected, in fact! Ha! Man, was there an air of disappointment in the whole freakin' arena not to mention all of NYC. Stipe was like "I'm not gonna say much, we're just gonna play the songs" or something like that. Great show!

Back
Top Bottom