The MLB Thread Part Duex... because Sicy killed our last one short of 756 :sad:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewson said:
At least none of them will start outside of Contreras.

i would imagine contrears would start... he's really one of only 3 guys who deserve it at this point, along with halladay and mussina... maybe toss in schilling as a sentimental choice. santana's got great numbers but he's only 6-4

webb or penny will propbably get the nod in the NL... pedro's got a shot if he picks up a few more wins this month.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
you leave JJ alone...

i think last night's white sox rangers game showed us two things... opponents reeeeally really hate a.j. pierzynski, and ozzie guillen is an absolute douchebag.

If a manager wants to plunk a batter in retaliation, he has to do it *before* the umpire issues the official warning. Otherwise he's just going to get himself and his pitcher ejected. fined and/or suspended. Wait until the next series.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

i would imagine contrears would start... he's really one of only 3 guys who deserve it at this point, along with halladay and mussina... maybe toss in schilling as a sentimental choice. santana's got great numbers but he's only 6-4

webb or penny will propbably get the nod in the NL... pedro's got a shot if he picks up a few more wins this month.

If Contreras wins another game or two and is still perfect, he definitely starts. I don't see Ozzie not doing that, unless he falters in the next few weeks. Then you could make an argument for Halladay.

Mussina and Schilling are having solid years and will be All-Stars, but they haven't been as dominant.

As for the NL, will Pedro even go? He tends to skip out on it. I think Webb is the starter there regardless.

pub crawler on 4-10-06 said:
Actually, [a trade involving Manny] would make sense. Jered Weaver is pretty much major-league ready right now. He was a first round draft pick.

And when I mentioned Jered Weaver 2 months ago someone here called him a "mediocre prospect." :wink: Um, I'd say he's doing pretty well.

phanan said:

If Contreras wins another game or two and is still perfect, he definitely starts. I don't see Ozzie not doing that, unless he falters in the next few weeks. Then you could make an argument for Halladay.

Ozzie has said that he will start Contreras.

pub crawler said:

And when I mentioned Jered Weaver 2 months ago someone here called him a "mediocre prospect." :wink: Um, I'd say he's doing pretty well.
Yeah but you'd need 3 more of him to be considered for a trade for Manny.
Plus his brother looked good very early in his career in Motown, turned out he was a mediocre pitcher. Methinks Jered will follow family history into mediocrity. By August.

KC got its 7th road win of the year last night at the Big A.

Plus you forgot to add this part of my statement at the time:

Hewson said:
Your Western Arizona Angies of Southern Oregon aren't getting Manny and the lack of hitting on that team will leave them mired around .500 and out of the playoffs

Of course I don't look that smart, cause .500 seems out of their grasp.
That powerhouse lineup made Mark Redman and his nearly 6 ERA look like Cy Young last night.

phanan said:
If the Mets have a second half collapse this season, I'm gonna remember all these posts...

:wink:
I think it would have to be an epic collapse, not that the Mets can't start playing poorly, but the competition in the NL East is so awful. Frankly Florida with their young pitchers looks like the only team in that division capable of playing .500 for the balance of the season besides the Mets.

I think the team you will need to fear come October is the Red Sox west aka the LA Dodgers.
Nomar is hitting again, if that team stays healthy and Eric Gagne can be anything close to the steroid fueled Eric Gagne of 2003-2004( assuming he comes back at all), thats a team complete enough to beat the Mets possibly in a 7 game series.
St Louis doesn't have enough pitching depth, and if Pujols never regains his swing after the injury (injuries to that area can be very tricky), they're toast. Cincy is interesting, but far too flawed overall.
Houston with a healthy Oswalt, Clemens and Pettitte can be dangerous, but the team doesn't hit enough.

Last edited:
houston's the team that scares me the most... for obvious reasons.

if they sneak into the playoffs, i want no part of them.

as for the dodgers, i really don't think they're that good, just playing well against a bad league. and besides... do you really trust grady little in new york in a big spot in october? didn't think so :wink:

until pujols comes back we won't even discuss st. louis. if he comes back and is doing what he did in the begining of the year, he's capable of putting a team on his back and carrying them past anyone. if the back problems bother him the whole year, then they're not nearly as frightening.

the two teams in basbeall that no one wants to see sneak into the playoffs healthy are the astros and the blue jays.

toronto has one hell of a pitching staff as well... but one that is often banged up.

Last edited:
To also be serious, I can't see anyone beating the Mets in the NL this year - it just really, really sucks. I think Houston will make it a bit interesting in the second half with Clemens back - he'll at least re-energize the pitching staff, but they can't hit worth shit, and I think that will be their downfall, unless St. Louis totally collapses without Pujols.

On another note, we witnessed the longest single in the history of baseball last night at the Metrodome...

After Seanez gave up that 3-run homer, I thought the game was over, but Atlanta's bullpen apparently is worse than Boston's.

Can't wait for the Mets-Sox series. That should be quite entertaining to watch.

The Mets fans are getting awful cocky...an interesting dynamic after they spent the weekend getting slapped around by 4th place Baltimore.

Beware the Marlins...8 straight, just vaulted the vaunted Braves Out of the Cellar (Ratt's 1st album) and are after those pesky Nats next. The Mets hear Footsteps in the hall...it was you, you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom