The MLB Thread Part Duex... because Sicy killed our last one short of 756 :sad: - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #316
War Child

Local Time: 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
between the injuries, the overall age of the team, and the crappy pitching, dare I say, if the Yanks don't acquire a quality starting pitcher they will not make the playoffs.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #317
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:59 AM
$190 million just doesn't buy what it used to.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #318
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

No need to remind us.
Red Sox fans are just as pissed off about the trade, seriously. We're the ones who have to face Kazmir 5 times a year.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #319
Blue Crack Addict

Bingo.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:13 AM   #320
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:59 AM
Angels trade Jeff Weaver to the Cards for a low-level prospect. Weaver had about 6 "quality starts" (lame stat) before getting blown out in his last.

This is a decent pick-up for the Cards. The Angels are deep in starting pitching and didn't need Jered's big brother.

Incidentally, last week Bill Stoneman offered Jeff Weaver to the Mets for Lastings Milledge......which is pretty funny, but at least he tried.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:03 AM   #321
Blue Crack Addict

C'mon, the guy has a 6.29 ERA, The Cardinals are fools for giving up a water bottle for him.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:52 AM   #322
ONE
love, blood, life

Quality start is a joke stat.

I think the only reason it even exists is so that the agents for crappy free agent pitchers have a bargaining chip in negotiating deals.

"Yeah, sure his ERA is 7.50, has zero complete games, more walks than strikeouts, and once hit the mascot w/ a pitch. But look at his quality starts."

What is it anyway, something like 6 innings and 4 runs (or less)?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:49 AM   #323
Blue Crack Addict

This year the lobbying committee of Boras, Moorad, Dewey, Cheatam and Howe has gotten the quality start statistic changed to:
3 pitches thrown.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:04 AM   #324
ONE
love, blood, life

that would make Victor Zambrano and Rick Ankiel very happy.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #325
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
C'mon, the guy has a 6.29 ERA, The Cardinals are fools for giving up a water bottle for him.
Reportedly, eight teams were interested in big Weaver. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up doing more for the Cards than Ponson. Will he implode every so often? Maybe so, but hell, he didn't cost the Cards anything.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #326
ONE
love, blood, life

Here is part of a great article written by Jim Caple at ESPN.com

These thoughts are why I was glad to get a recent e-mail from Greg Steinsdoerfer.

I learned about Greg from someone who read of my account in Zambia with the Right to Play charity group. Greg first went to Zambia as part of a high school program that raised funds to build a school in a small northern village. He's back there this summer as a college student for a development program.

The village has no electricity or running water. Its school is so overcrowded that most students can attend classes for only half a day. The children spend the other half playing soccer. They make their balls out of tightly wound plastic bags and string.

"If players are lucky,'' Greg wrote to me, "they have shoes, although most end up sharing. One will wear a left and one will wear a right. After each goal the home team scores, hundreds of children run onto the field screaming with joy."

Greg is a big baseball fan and he recently decided to broaden the villagers' horizons and introduce baseball to them.

"They had never heard of baseball,'' he wrote. "Most have never even heard of basketball. Can you imagine? In fact a lot of people have baseball coats but have no idea that they are wearing a sports [team] jacket. Many people even thought that baseball and basketball were the same sport."

So he rounded up 18 players, laid out a field with rocks for bases, used a metal pipe for a bat (sorry, you wood bat purists) and an old baseball he had brought from home. He took only about 15 minutes to explain the basic rules, so I'm assuming he didn't get bogged down with dropped third strikes, the double-switch and the obscure fourth out (rule 7.10 d, for the uninitiated).

His explanation was further handicapped by the language barrier. It must have resembled the 1962 Mets listening to Casey Stengel during spring training.

"I was actually surprised how fast they picked the game up,'' Greg wrote. "We began to play, and the people loved it! They laughed the whole time and the excitement was written all over their faces. They have very good hand-eye coordination -- in fact, it's rare that they miss when hitting. Their throwing skills, on the other hand, are very poor, in fact if they are not within 15 feet, chances are it will be an overthrow."

So that's where Chuck Knoblauch is these days.

The game went well, though. They even turned a triple play, aided by the fact that many of the players didn't realize they had to tag up on a fly ball. But that's OK. Manny Ramirez has the same problem.

The final score that day was 31-16, which was understandable given the current era of baseball and the small fact that they played without gloves.

"We played until it was so dark that we could no longer see,'' Greg wrote. "They begged to play again on Sunday. Which we did the following afternoon and this time we had a large crowd who decided to watch baseball over soccer. From now on, every weekend we will spend playing baseball.

"After the first game I thought how amazing it is that this was the first ever game of baseball to be played in this village. I imagined 10 years from now Little Leagues being formed and the sound of laughter erupting from each player."

Little Leagues? Hell, with that kind of response to one weekend of games, I suspect the Marlins will threaten to move there soon.

There's just one small problem. They need another ball.

"I have spent a lot of time trying to find a tennis ball or even a soft ball of any type. … It has not been easy. I am still looking."

In other words, I need to get some baseballs to a remote Zambian village. They may be smaller than soccer balls, but they're still plenty big enough for the entire world to grip.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #327
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

, but hell, he didn't cost the Cards anything.
Just the balance of his $8.3Million salary (the Angels GM must be Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius to have done this deal while not adding a bat to the AL's most anemic offense), so about 4 million bucks.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #328
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
that would make Victor Zambrano and Rick Ankiel very happy.
Ankiel still has never qualified for a quality start even under these new guidelines.
He has however hospitalized a record 5328 mascots.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #329
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:59 AM
A.J. Pierzynski won the fan vote for the 32nd spot on the AL All Star roster.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:44 PM   #330
Blue Crack Addict

^He's got a good batting avg., but his other stats really aren't that great. I'm shocked that Liriano isn't going, although I understand he's a rookie and not as well known, but his numbers are incredible...

Kudos to Nomar for winning the NL vote. Comeback player of the year...