The MLB Hot Stove Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zonelistener said:

WHAT?

So, who is Philly using now? And I am sure Columbus must have a new affiliation (Columbus has been with the Yankees for YEARS).

Columbus has been with the Yankees since I was a kid.

Philadephia's AAA affiliate is now the Ottawa Lynx.

Not sure if Columbus has a team now...I thought I read that they now have an independent team.

No spoken words said:

Philadephia's AAA affiliate is now the Ottawa Lynx.

And i think they are going to move to Allentown when they have a stadium built there...or at least that's what they were talking about when I was working there.

:hmm:

EDIT: I just checked out the Clipper's site. They are now with the Nats.

Further edit: the Tides are no longer with the Mets :ohmy: The Mets are now farm-fresh from flood-filled New Orleans (alliteration :drool: ).

Last edited:
Philly is in Ottawa temporarily, making the deal so that they can get to the much closer Allentown team next season, the (and I'm not even making this up) Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs.

phillyfan26 said:
Philly is in Ottawa temporarily, making the deal so that they can get to the much closer Allentown team next season, the (and I'm not even making this up) Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs.

Pig Iron is what they use to make steel...and we all know Bethlehem was THE steel town.

It will be neat to see the Lehigh Valley/Scranton-WB rivalry. Yet, it is sad to see the "Red Barrons" name dropped from the SWB team name.

Red Sox vs. Yankees
One foggy night, a Yankees fan was heading north from New York and a Red Sox fan was driving south from Boston. While crossing a narrow bridge, they hit each other head-on, mangling both cars. The Red Sox fan manages to climb out of his car and survey the damage.
He looks at his twisted car and says, "Man, I'm lucky to be alive!"
Likewise, the Yankees fan gets out of his car uninjured, he too feeling fortunate to have survived. The Yankees fan walks over to the Red Sox fan and says, "Hey, man, I think this is a sign that we should put away our petty differences and live as friends instead of being rivals."
The Red Sox fan thinks for a moment and says, "You know, you're absolutely right! We should be friends. In fact, I'm going to see if something else survived the wreck." The Red Sox fan then pops open his trunk and removes a full, undamaged bottle of Jack Daniel's.
He says to the Yankee fan, "I think this is another sign we should toast to our newfound friendship." The Yankee fan agrees and grabs the bottle.
After sucking down half of the bottle, he hands it back to the Red Sox fan and says, "Your turn!"

The Red Sox fan calmly twists the cap back on the bottle, throws the rest of the bottle over the bridge into the river and says, "Nah, I think I'll just wait for the cops to show up.

Hewson said:
Red Sox vs. Yankees
One foggy night, a Yankees fan was heading north from New York and a Red Sox fan was driving south from Boston. While crossing a narrow bridge, they hit each other head-on, mangling both cars. The Red Sox fan manages to climb out of his car and survey the damage.
He looks at his twisted car and says, "Man, I'm lucky to be alive!"
Likewise, the Yankees fan gets out of his car uninjured, he too feeling fortunate to have survived. The Yankees fan walks over to the Red Sox fan and says, "Hey, man, I think this is a sign that we should put away our petty differences and live as friends instead of being rivals."
The Red Sox fan thinks for a moment and says, "You know, you're absolutely right! We should be friends. In fact, I'm going to see if something else survived the wreck." The Red Sox fan then pops open his trunk and removes a full, undamaged bottle of Jack Daniel's.
He says to the Yankee fan, "I think this is another sign we should toast to our newfound friendship." The Yankee fan agrees and grabs the bottle.
After sucking down half of the bottle, he hands it back to the Red Sox fan and says, "Your turn!"

The Red Sox fan calmly twists the cap back on the bottle, throws the rest of the bottle over the bridge into the river and says, "Nah, I think I'll just wait for the cops to show up.

As if the Red Sox fan was not already drunk. Please.

Oh, most definitely.

:)

Please know this, though: All of my Dad's side of the family live in New Hampshire or Massachusetts, and all are die-hard Red Sox fans. So Red Sox/Yanks goes beyond a sports rivalry, it's the backdrop for an annual 6 month civil war within my family.

Is it sick that I'm so excited that you guys have JD Drew, because I just know Sox fans are pretending to like him riight now but deep down know that they're going to end up hating him?

If the Sox had lost Manny and JD Drew ended up being his replacement, then yeah, I'd be seriously questioning it. But the fact that he's got Ramirez and Ortiz with him will relieve the pressure (after all, he's filling in the spot left by Trot Nixon - I'm sure he can match his stats), and the fact that the Sox made Boras work the contract so that if he hurts that shoulder again, the Sox can get out of the contract in the 3rd year or whatever it was, then I think it's a good move.

No spoken words said:

Is it sick that I'm so excited that you guys have JD Drew, because I just know Sox fans are pretending to like him riight now but deep down know that they're going to end up hating him?

I'm not even pretending to like him. I hope he gets booed on opening day just like Jose Offerman.

phanan said:
If the Sox had lost Manny and JD Drew ended up being his replacement, then yeah, I'd be seriously questioning it. But the fact that he's got Ramirez and Ortiz with him will relieve the pressure (after all, he's filling in the spot left by Trot Nixon - I'm sure he can match his stats), and the fact that the Sox made Boras work the contract so that if he hurts that shoulder again, the Sox can get out of the contract in the 3rd year or whatever it was, then I think it's a good move.

Oh. Everything you say makes sense. I agree, strictly on paper, good move. But, I'm not referring to his major injuries, the shoulder. I'm referring to all the time he misses for other things, a little ankle injury, etc. He refuses to ever play through pain, and, when you are on a perennial contender like the Sox are, that sort of attitude stands out. Varitek would play with a sword protruding from his stomach, Drew won't play with an upset stomach. You'll see...I watched this cat for 2 years out here in LA and though be put up good stats his 2nd season, he's just a lifeless, heartless automaton, and I just don't see that going over well in Boston. Of course, I could be 100% wrong, he could play 150+ games and have a .400 OBP and fit right in, it could happen. I just don't see it.

Last edited:
^ Very possible, I'm going to have faith until he proves otherwise. Hopefully being in Boston will motivate him, but he played in a pretty passionate baseball environment in STL and that didn't happen, so who knows.

Maybe we finally got our A-Rod :)

BTW has anyone seen the Matsuzaka commercials on youtube? There's a great beer one, I'll try & find the link...

CT, has JD won 2 MVP's yet?

BTW, good sign for Yankee fans that Peyton Manning won the Super Bowl. Maybe A-rod will remove the monkey from his back.

JANUARY 24--An Illinois man tried to extort a six-figure payment from an unnamed "professional athlete," claiming that his daughter was impregnated by the athlete shortly after they met late last year at a St. Louis nightclub, according to federal investigators. An FBI affidavit (a copy of which you'll find below) alleges that George Edwards, 48, met with a friend of the pro athlete--who is only identified as "P.A."--and reported that his daughter Laura was pregnant and "wanted money." The athlete's friend then offered "several thousand dollars to have George and Laura, then 22, leave P.A. alone," wrote FBI Agent Dustin Sorrells. Soon, one of the athlete's sports agents was negotiating with George Edwards to pay $25,000 to "obtain a DNA test to establish paternity." If the child was the athlete's, he was prepared to pay Laura Edwards an additional $125,000. In January, a second agent for the athlete traveled from California to St. Louis to deliver the $25,000 payment to George Edwards. Days later, Edwards called the agent and claimed that Laura had suffered a miscarriage, but that he still wanted the $125,000 payment. And if he didn't get the money, Edwards warned, he would file a legal claim against the athlete and "make P.A.'s affair with Laura public." It was at this point that the athlete and his agents apparently first contacted the FBI. In a subsequent monitored phone call, when the second agent agreed to the $125,000 hush money payment, Edwards repeatedly assured him that, in return, he "would not notify the Associated Press, the Sporting News or any other media outlet either directly or through his attorney." As part of the deal, Edwards was supposed to turn over "some recordings and photographs which presumably documented Laura's relationship with P.A.," the affidavit notes. George Edwards was arrested Monday and charged with extortion, a felony which carries a maximum of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. He is in custody pending a detention hearing scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Laura Edwards has not been charged. (3 pages)

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0124072extort1.html

P.A., eh? hmmm... pujols, albert? :wink:

Wow, if that's true that's quiet a hit on P.A's character. All we get to hear about from him is how great of a parent/husband he is. Stories I've heard from realtives and friends down in that area is that he's kind of a jerk. *Edit* When they've tried to get autographs or talk to him at the stadium.

Wonder if this story will turn into anything more.

PA does stand for Professional Athlete and it's already been revealed to be Ronnie Belliard

nice try though

The woman thought she was hooking up with LL Cool J and was disapppointed when she found out it was belliard so she tried for a few bucks.

Derek Jeter is already at Spring Training. I like that he reports early every year. I'm sure someone will have something snide to say about it, or him, but I just think the guy's a fantastic leader (leader by example, that is, he's not a lead by words kind of guy, at least not to the press) and I wish more superstars worked as hard as he does to continually get better.

I cannot help it, every year, once the Super Bowl is over, I get really jazzed for Spring Training. And, to have March Madness, not just the National tourney but all the insane conference finals you get leading up to the tourney, followed by the start of the MLB season really makes it a fun time to be a sports fan.

Five-time All-Star Bernie Williams has rejected the New York Yankees' offer of a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, according to newspaper reports.

Instead, Williams on Friday revealed his preference to stay at home, stay in shape, spend time with his family and wait to see if the Yankees change their minds and offer him a guaranteed roster spot.

"I think if they wanted me they would have signed me already," Williams told reporters at a benefit in Connecticut on Friday night. "The option to go to spring training and see what happened -- I don't think at this moment it is something I want to consider."

The Daily News quoted Williams as saying, "I'm working out, but I think the way it looks right now, it doesn't seem like I'm going to be playing with that team this year."

Williams, who has been with the Yankees since 1991, has made no secret of his desire to remain with them. But with the team's plan to go with 12 pitchers, platoon at first base and move Jason Giambi to designated hitter, there is no spot on a 25-man roster for the 38-year-old Williams at this point, general manager Brian Cashman said.

"We love and respect Bernie, but with the dynamic of our roster, there's not a spot," The New York Times quoted Cashman as saying. "We had a lot of conversations with him. I understand that he doesn't want to accept a minor league deal."

Johnny Damon took Williams' job as the starter in center last year, and Melky Cabrera is slated to be the fourth outfielder.

Yankees manager Joe Torre likes Williams' abilities, which could weigh in his favor if he does come to camp.

Williams filled in capably last season when Hideki Matsui and Gary Sheffield were injured, batting .281 with 12 homers and 61 RBIs.

Williams said he's fully aware of the team's plans, but he is not ready to call it a career.

"As it is right now, it doesn't seem like I am going to be playing with that team this year," Williams said in the Times story. But "it is just part of the game. It is what makes this interesting."

I'm kind of surprised, although I know there is some pride there. But with Torre still around, I have no doubt he would have made the team, and he could have finished off his career with one more year.

Torre most likely won't come back after this season, so it would have worked for one more year for Bernie as well.

You know, Headache, it is a fairly risk-free signing, but, doesn't it worry you a little that they have to go for re-treads like that before the season even starts. I mean, they are a legit WS contender and they're signing cats like that. It's rare to see such a consensus WS contender have such questionable pitching. But, maybe he'll find his form and be a steal, I don't know.

Phanan, I'm not that surprised. I guess after you're an All-Star and a fixture in CF, you don't want to be told on 3/31 that you're cut or heading to Columbus....er....Scranton. Maybe he's right in thinking that if Damon or Abreu get hurt that the Yanks will reach out to him regardless of whether he goes to camp or not.

On a side note, for the first time in my life, I'll be at Spring Training. A week after the big 3/17 gathering in NY, I'll head to Florida for a few days. Cannot believe that I've never been before. So, yeah, rejoice for me. Or, not, that too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom