The MLB Hot Stove Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
soriano and floyd in the outfield together? let the comedy ensue.

i love cliff floyd... he really did give everything he had and was loved in the clubhouse. he just couldn't stay healthy. still think he should have gone to the AL, but i suppose playing for the cubs is fulfilling a childhood dream for him, so best of luck.

yeah, I expect seeing a youtube video of them chasing down flyballs to the tune of Benny Hill in the near future.

371383_meche-pitching.JPG

:flirt:

Nobody else has ever overpaid for a mediocre (or worse) picher though...coughMattClementcough
coughJaretWrightcough
coughCarlPavanocough

Hewson said:
Nobody else has ever overpaid for a mediocre (or worse) picher though...coughMattClementcough
coughJaretWrightcough
coughCarlPavanocough

You're right, but the Yanks and Sox had the cash and depth to swing and miss on a guy like that. The Royals are horrid, and should be spending $$$ on developing future talent, not guys like Meche.

Hewson said:
They gotta figure out a way to sell tickets, and future Cy Young winner Meche is a good start.

That's pretty comical. I heard that when they signed Meche, their # of season ticket holders went from 2 to 3, someone named
"Meche" bought a package.

MrPryck2U said:
And people wonder why the Royals suck. They throw 55 million bucks at a mediocre pitcher.

I think you're being a bit generous here, Gil Meche aspires to be a mediocre pitcher, right now he just sucks. Seriously, horrible waste of money especially for a team like KC. What they ought to have done with the cash is put some of it toward drafting some "tough signs" so they can re-stock their farm, and try to sign a handful of low-risk/high-reward type free agents. They either keep the FA's that pan out, or use them to deal to contenders at the deadline, further stocking the farm. The economic reality is that a team with the finances of a KC can't compete unless they follow the Twins model re: homegrown talent (but their GM Ryan is pretty smart), or the A's model of underpaying for undervalued skills (like OBP, during the Moneyball writing).

When I think back on what the Royals franchise used to be (George Brett, Frank White, Willie Wilson), it's really depressing...a Detroit-style turnaround would be great for them, and for MLB.

Apparently the saga that is J.D. Drew is finally over. I'm glad the Sox held their ground on that - you just know that shoulder won't hold up throughout the entire contract.

If they get a couple of career years out of him, that will be good enough for me.

Nothing is going to please me more than watching horrified Sox fans as Drew jogs down to 1B on a grounder or looks like he could not care less when he grounds into a double play. When healthy, he puts up pretty good stats but the guy has no guts, and though I hate the Red Sox, when I think of a guy like Varitek or Ortiz or even Schilling, I think of pretty gutty players...and Sox fans seem to enjoy that sort of player, as they should....and the guy Drew is replacing, Trot Nixon, fits into that category, too. JD Drew in Boston, I fucking love it.

I guess I'm one of the few who thinks he's going to do well here. If he knocks in over 100 rbi and stays healthy, that's an excellent addition to a lineup that already has Ramirez and Ortiz.

If he's healthy and hits in the 5 hole behind Manny and Ortiz, its a very good signing.
Time will tell, but he should be an upgrade over Trot, who's skills were diminishing fast.

The lineup looks pretty stacked as it stands now, the rotation should be fine if everyone is healthy, the real question that still lingers is the closer role...Jo-el Pineiro dosn't seem to be the answer to me, but what do I know?

Optimistic Red Sox fans, amazing. You guys just don't know what you're in for. I watched this guy play on a regular basis out here in LA. He's such a dispassionate player, and, he sits for any inujury...not just major ones....he refuses to play through any sort of pain. You'll see. And, of course, I could be wrong, he could play 162 games and go berserk in that line up....I just don't see it happening. I'm more fascinated to see how Matsuzaka does, frankly.

No spoken words said:
Optimistic Red Sox fans, amazing. You guys just don't know what you're in for. I watched this guy play on a regular basis out here in LA. He's such a dispassionate player, and, he sits for any inujury...not just major ones....he refuses to play through any sort of pain.
Manny played in LA??

Got Philk? said:

:lol: I'm assuming you're being fascesious. Wait, now you have Manny and JD...perhaps Willy Mo will be needed for those awful bumps and bruises those poor players always seem to get.

Now that I think of it, he was probably being sarcastic, but I'm too tired to have really noticed. Damn me.

I hope the Red Sox don't trade for Todd Helton...if it involves them giving up a lot of prospects. The Rockies may eat a lot of his salary, but he's a guy who's clearly on the decline whether it be from age or coming off of steroids. I read that he had the option of getting out of his contract ala JD Drew this offseason - smart move since he's getting $16 million a season for 5 years.

Funny how all the leaks regarding this proposed trade are coming out of Colorado.

I'm sure the Red Sox are listening, given their lack of a true first baseman, but I don't think they are seriously considering him unless the Rockies really go out of their way to move him.

One report was the deal was potentially Helton for Lowell, Tavarez and either Hansen or Delcarmen, plus the Rockies pick up half of Helton's salary.

Not bad if its Hansen, who IMO may not have the makeup of a major league closer. Delcarmen has shown the ability to pitch at the ML level.

Youkilis moves to 3rd and Helton plays 1st at basically $8mil (Lowell was gonna cost $9mil this year)a year...get at least 3 good years out of him, drop Drew to 6th in the batting order and you're in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom