The MLB Hot Stove Part 2 - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2006, 02:32 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

Cubs suck.

There, back on point.
And what a great point it is

Old 12-29-2006, 02:32 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:01 PM
I actually agree with you on the Cubs point. I don't think they have made a smart decision all off season.

They should have went with Girardi and built slowly around pitching.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:33 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

And what a great point it is

See, this is why people* hate you.

* and by 'people' I mean 'I'.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:01 AM
It was a pretty great point, though.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:43 PM   #80
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Don't worry, Chippy, I love you.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 12-29-2006, 02:46 PM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

Chip, I cannot claim to love you, nor will I ever call you Chippy, ever, but, anyone that loves U2 and sports and lives in Vegas cannot be 1/2 bad.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:25 PM   #82
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
3. The Mets will tank. Sorry Numb & Headache, unless they do something soon to bolster the rotation, they are in a lot of trouble. The bull-pen just doesn't have the depth to rescue them again.
and whoever wins last year's NL West is gonna give the Mets trouble in the playoffs. that prediction worked out splendidly.

they had the same rotation last year and won 97 games, and last i checked the NL still sucks.

reyes & wright a year older? beltran coming back with confidence? delgado being beastly?

tank? come on... give me a break. win 97 games? maybe not... but tank? get serious.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
Cubs suck.

There, back on point.
Quote:
Originally posted by Chip And what a great point it is.
Too bad I actually enjoy you guys on this forum. Otherwise, I'd hate you both.

Now...SHUT UP!

I envy fans of teams that are good every year. But still, I will not quit on my Cubbies.

Even though we signed "the best leadoff hitter in baseball" for waaay too long of a contract, I will not stop cheering for him to not strike out.

Hey, Ted Lilly and Jason Marquis might pitch, so that's a step up from Prior and Wood right there right? So what if we have one good pitcher. I'll still root for our rotation that seems to change weekly.

I don't care how much all you people make fun of my Cubbies. I may be in my 80's before we win a World Series. But I assure you no matter where I am at that point, I will be at Wrigley Field for a game. Probably then, we'll somehow blow a 3 game lead.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:41 PM   #84
Blue Crack Supplier

I have an ex boss who is now a close friend from Chicago. He loves the Cubs dearly. I respect him for it. He lives in LA, since 1990 or so, but his 11 year old son is a Cubs fan, too, thanks to him.

In 1998, we made a bet. I bet him that all 3 Caray's would be dead before the Cubs won another World Series. It's a sick bet, but, I'll likely win it.

I don't actually think they'll suck, Phil, but, I also don't think they just bought themselves a division title. We'll see, though, right? Oh, and, let me just say that no non-Cubs fan was more depressed after the '03 debacle than I was...really wanted a Yankee/Cub World Series. Fucking Marlins.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:40 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

'03. What a waste. I've never seen a team collapse so well in my life. Well, maybe University of Michigan. Think Chris Webber timeout. Regardless, I don't hold Bartman accountable b/c I think often about the Alex Gonzales error at short and then the inability to bounce back when needed. Still, such a sad time. Makes me sick to my stomach to this day.

Anyway, I've depressed myself now. I don't think they'll suck either. I've just never thought that you could buy a championship. I was really hoping for maybe a couple pitching signings and then building a team together more with our system. I don't care if Felix Pie is in Center and sucks for a while, or Angel Pagan in right and Murton in left? I know you run the risk of too much youth, but I'd take a down year to see what we have. I think I'm in the minority here.

Though, I think Angel Pagan might be possibly starting in center with Soriano in left and Jones in right. I'll take that.

I'll start a season on MVP 2005 on my computer and let you know how things go with the new acquisations.

p.s. I think what makes that whole 2003 thing worse is the expecations we never met the next year. Injuries, and more important, attitudes ruined a great thing...
Old 12-30-2006, 12:53 AM   #86
Blue Crack Supplier

Sorry you depressed yourself. That's how I get when I think of the 2001 World Series. That actually bothers me more than the collapse against the Sox in '04. Yanks were poised to win 4 WS in a row, which is rarified air....last year that that group would be together....and, for once, a, a lot of people were pulling for them due to 9/11....what made it even worse is that I was at all 4 games in Arizona....and we lost all 4. I've never been more stunned than when Gonzalez's bloop went over Jeter's head and the Yanks lost. Unreal Surreal.

Anyway, back to YOUR depression.

You typically cannot buy a championship, but, every once in a while the '97 Marlins come along, and, voila, the championship is bought.

At least, Phil, you have new players and a new manager and something to look forward to....and, who knows, maybe one day Prior or Wood will make it back and stay healhy...I'm rooting for Prior, he is fun to watch pitch.

Let me know how it goes on the computer.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:30 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Haha, will do.

I honestly have given up on Wood as a starter. I do wonder about closing. I think it would take some time to adjust, but hey, this year we are using him as a reliever. Maybe?

I also did think of the '97 Marlins when I made that comment. I just look at a team like the Cardinals(shut up Chip). They were not better than a lot of teams, but their chemistry was. I don't think that aspect of baseball can be overlooked. I really think this is a huge problem for the Yankees the past(when did they get A-Rod?) ??? years.

I mean, Paul O'Neil was not a Sheffield. But he was so important. Bernie Williams did not hit 40 Home Runs, but he was pretty good. They had some key role players. Heh, and some great pitching too however.

Or think of the Braves. Marke Lemke, a career .230 hitter? Or with/before him, Rafael Belliard, Sid Bream? Jeff Blauser? Man, I could go on. Yes, these teams spent money, but they didn't have the Best player at every position.
Get my point?
Old 12-30-2006, 01:33 AM   #88
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh, I not only get your point, I MAKE that point all the time. Key trades and minor league systems producing...and a key free agent here and there, to me, is the best formula...and that's how the 90's Yanks were built....now, it's just like the Cubs...that's why having Wang and Melky and Robinson Cano come up and do well has been so exciting, nice change of pace for the Yanks...some homegrown youth again.....

Wood would be a great closer.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:38 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

YES! Melky, Cano, Wang, I actually appreciated them as Yankees b/c as you said, through the system!

Good, I'm glad we're on the same page here.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:47 AM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier

We're on the same page.

Literally and figuratively.