The MLB Hot Stove Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No spoken words said:
what made it even worse is that I was at all 4 games in Arizona....and we lost all 4.

so i see you have the same effect on the yankees as i do on the mets?

:banghead:

in the last 15 regular season games i've attended, the mets are 15-0.

in the only 2 post-season games i attended, they lost in the 9th inning on a homerun by some fucking bum.

:sigh: i hate the cardinals.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

so i see you have the same effect on the yankees as i do on the mets?

:banghead:

in the last 15 regular season games i've attended, the mets are 15-0.

in the only 2 post-season games i attended, they lost in the 9th inning on a homerun by some fucking bum.

:sigh: i hate the cardinals.

I have been to 16 Yankee post-season games.

A lot of ups and downs, some highlights:

Was at Game 2 in 1995, against the Mariners...15 inning game, in the rain with the big Leyritz HR to win..and Mattingly homered, which was awesome.

Was at the Jeffery Maier game in 1996.

Game 6 of the 1996 WS, which they won. Our seats were upperdeck, between the plate and 3B, so, we could not actually see the last out...but the crowd sort of gave it away. :)

1998 - Was at Game 4 in San Diego, even was on the local news back in MY on NBC, cos I had a broom with me at the game and a Yankee shirt, they talked to me in the parking lot. A female Padre fan asked me how I'd like it if she took the broom and shoved it up my ass and I was kind of torn because it was such an interesting offer.

2000 - Games 1 and 2 of the Subway Series, got to see the Clemens/Piazza incident from way out in RF.

2001 - As I mentioned, watched the Yanks 90's dynasty end, right in my fucking face. Then had to drive back from Phoenix to LA right after the game. 3/4 of the way home, my friend, who is the DJ for the trip, decides it's time for Sade's greatest hits. I'm too tired to even wonder why he owns this, let alones brings it with him on this trip. Not long after he puts it in I almost drive us right off of the freeway because it's 2am and Sade is not exactly perfect driving while exhausted and depressed music.

2002 - Game 3 at Anaheim, series tied at 1-1, get to watch Mussina the playoff chokee pig dog scum tooth piss away a 6-1 lead, all while having those fucking annoying thunder sticks getting waved in my face and banged in my ear, as well as having to deal with the Rally Monkey and Traffic from LA to Anaheim. Swore I'd never go back to a game in Anaheim, regular season or post-season

2005 - Games 1,2 and 5 at Anaheim. Should have kept my vow. Game 1 they win. Game 2, fun times, A-Rod loses a one hop grounder in the sun, leading to unearned run action, and they lose. After winning a close Game 4 in The Bronx, Yanks take an ealy 2-0 lead and Bartolo Colon has to leave game early, in comes Ervin Santana, who decides he is Johan Santana, which is Ervin's real name anyway. Then, Mike Mussina decides this is a good time to piss another early lead away (a pattern that would continue in 2006 against Detroit) and the Yanks go into the 9th down 5-3. Jeter leads off the 9th with a single, typical Jeter. Who's up now? A-Rod! What's he gonna do? Ground into a DP. And broadcasters wonder why Yankee fans hate A-Rod. Yanks then get 2 more men on after that, and Matsui, I believe, makes the last out. And broadcasters wonder why Yankee fans hate A-Rod.

So, overall, I cannot complain, have witnessed 2 WS clinching victories, one in The Bronx and the other down in SD, and those memories will last a lifetime...but, since the Subway Series wins of 2000, the Yanks are 1-7 with me at playoff games. I should stop attending.

Last edited:
Hey all you Randy Johnson haters: Arizona and the Yankees are supposedly closer to getting a trade done. If Johnson goes back to Arizona, this leaves a bit of a whole in the Yanks rotation. Stay tuned.

Got Philk? said:
:sigh: '03. What a waste. I've never seen a team collapse so well in my life. Well, maybe University of Michigan. Think Chris Webber timeout. Regardless, I don't hold Bartman accountable b/c I think often about the Alex Gonzales error at short and then the inability to bounce back when needed. Still, such a sad time. Makes me sick to my stomach to this day.

Sorry to get off topic, but that game was not Chris Webber's fault (11-18 FG, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks). If you must blame somebody, blame Jalen Rose (5-12 FG, 6 turnovers including a big one when North Carolina made their comeback, got repeatedly burned by Donald Williams, forced Michigan to burn a timeout earlier in the half when he didn't get open for an inbounds pass).

Yeah but if Webber doesn't call timeout, Michigan may not win, but certainly would have still covered the spread, which is all that really mattered...4 staright Donald Williams free throws after Webber's gaffe ended that.
Interesting that this incident is mentioned today when the same thing (under drastically different circumstances) happened to Temple last night vs Duke.
One significant difference...after Duke made the 2 tech FT's Temple got to inbound the ball...in the Webber incident after UNC got 2 FT's, they also got the ball, leading to a foul and 2 more Williams FT's...if Michigan got the ball back, they would have had a shot to back door a cover (down 4 instead of 6, getting 2.5, trust me I rember thi$ all too well), and I might hate Chris Webber a little le$$ than I do these days.

Good baseball discussion.:wink:

I don't blame Webber at all for how it happened. Where was ANYONE at the time Webber took the ball up the floor. Rose was blanketed, Jimmy King? Ray Jackson? He's a friggin pf/c, he should never have had to taken the ball up that far. I believe b/c he had to is why we got trapped, and hence why he called the TO. Now, he heard in the time-out before that play we didn't have any time-outs. I dunno, mental collapse under pressure. I cried that day. I was 12. And I'm still pissed he left without a Championship. :grumpy:

So, I really want to know what you think of this. Nomar was great last year for the dodgers. Will that happen again? And...will Juan Pierre be great for the dodgers as well? Friggin Cubs players leaving and being sweet. Bill Mueller did it too. Matt Clement didn't, but still. you get my point. What do u think?

If Nomar can stay healthy, he's a quality major league hitter capable of hitting well above .300 with some decent power. Ted Williams said that Nomar would be remembered as the greatest hitter in Sox history when all was said and done...obviously that won't happen, but for a stretch of 1997-2000, it looked like Ted would be right. Then 2001 and Nomar's first major injury.
2002 and 2003 were decent rebound seasons but injuries cropped up again in 04 and 05. Nomar's only issue is health...I wish him well, always liked him and would have preferred he stayed, but if trading him to the Cubs was the final piece of the Sox 2004 WS puzzle, I can live with that.
Nomar really shouldn't be looked upon as a former Cub, his stint there was just a blip, he's a former Red Sox.
As for Matt Clement, you can have him back for the low low price of free.

Nomar will always play well as long as he avoids injury...he's a great hitter, plain and simple. Not a lot of Right handed batters win one batting title, let alone two in their careers.

Pierre, I am not so sure. I know he's fast but I would not want him as my leadoff man. He had a .326 OBP in 2005 and a .330 OBP last season. That sounds like a #8 hitter to me. He played 162 games last season and could not score mroe than 90 runs. I know you need guys to knock you in and all, but, wow, you'd have thought he could at least get to 90 runs scored. As usual, this is all just my humble opinion, I could be very wrong. :)

I don't blame anyone in particular for what happened to Michigan, to me, that's a team-wide fuck up.

No spoken words said:

I don't blame anyone in particular for what happened to Michigan, to me, that's a team-wide fuck up.
I blame Lloyd Carr, he looked like a deer in the headlights on the sidelines while Pete Carroll was going for the jugular...oh wait you mean hoops.

The Boston Globe mentioned that the Red Sox most likely will have to have someone from within be the closer unless someone else becomes available, and they proceeded to mention the current members of the bullpen as candidates. However, it's highly unlikely that they would consider Tavarez as anything more than a long reliever or spot starter.

The one to watch out for is Devern Hansack. He could be another Papelbon.

As evidenced by his playing time thus far, Hansen's not ready yet. He's at least another year away, if not more.

I could see Hansack earning the role this year, and then, like Papelbon, go back to a starting role when Schilling retires.

I remember when I was in HS a lot of kids would play Hansack right where we used to play touch football. It was annoying.

I know that was a stupid joke, but, I'm not deleting it, because I don't often get to make hackeysack jokes. Or Hackensack jokes, really.

theo is turning out to be quite stupid.

paplebon proved that he was a legit closer. he whines a little bit, so they make him a starter.

they'd be much better off if theo would take the approach omar has taken with aaron heilman and just told him to shut his pie hole and get the fuck back into the bullpen.

Papelbon didn't whine, in fact said recently on the radio he'd close again if they asked...the issue is can Paplebon's arm withstand the routine of closing, they feel he will be better suited to the routine of starting every 5th day.

I think if Papelbon gets medical clearance that last season's arm issues are a thing of the past, he will be the closer, if not he starts and I may end up as the closer.

:shrug: ok pap didn' whine. actually makes it worse that he wants to take a guy out of the closer's spot who's already proven he can do it.

every move theo has made since they won the world series has been, shall we say, iffy... with the exception of his wig wearing duet on rockin' in the free world with eddie and the boys, which i must say rocked much harder than the "u-jam" version :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom