The MLB Hot Stove Part 2 - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #421
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
ugh... a yankee fan who likes the mets? now that just isn't right
I hate the fucking Mets, if that makes you feel better.

I respect the franchise, however, more so now than ever. I like the culture they're establishing and it feels like their laying a foundation for perpetual succes. I still hate them. Watching Willie Randolph wear a Met uniform, now as manager, still bothers me. Kills me to root against him.

Headache, I'm with you. I do not like fans, be they Yankee or otherwise, with a sense of entitlement. I rooted for the Yanks during some very bad years, and so every year they make the playoffs is a happy year for me. This has been an amazing run, going back to the strike year of '94, and I am lucky to have a team I root for experience such long term excellence. I don't think they need to win or even make the WS every year. I just want them to be competitive every year, that works for me.
__________________

__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 03-06-2007, 10:47 PM   #422
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,953
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Spoken, why bother hating on the Mets? They're in the National League.
__________________

__________________
MrPryck2U is offline  
Old 03-06-2007, 11:33 PM   #423
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 06:27 PM
Just about every Yankee fan I know hates the Mets and Red Sox. It's a cross-town rivalry thing. I know no other way of life.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 01:18 AM   #424
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,953
Local Time: 09:27 PM

As a Yankee fan, I do have a little confession: During the mid 80's, I kind of backed away from my Yankee fandom and rooted for the Mets. I'm sure you remember, but the Boss was a HUGE asshole during the 80's. Not only did he have penchant for hiring and firing managers and signing washed-up free agents, but he also had a major vendetta against one of my favorite Yankees, Dave Winfield. Yes, it was the Boss who came up with the derisive Mr May moniker for Big Dave on account of his lackluster 1 for 22 performance in the 1981 World Series. Dave's first season with the team. And since then, for the next 9 seasons, The Boss loved the chance to pick on Big Dave. Now, with all due respect to Don Mattingly, Dave Winfield was the Yankees' greatest player in the 1980's. The Boss's bad karma finally caught up to him when MLB banned him for 3 years. When MLB banned him I was so happy. No more meddling from That Man. And coincidentally enough, the Yankees were able to build themselves a dynasty without The Boss butting his nose in.
BTW, during the Mets 1993 season is when I stopped rooting for them. Yes, they sucked, but they had so many players on the team who were absolute assholes. Bobby"I'll show you the Bronx"Bonilla, Vince"Firecracker"Coleman and Bret"I sprayed bleach at a reporter and denied it at first"Saberhagen to name a few. 1993 was probably one of the worst seasons in Mets history.
__________________
MrPryck2U is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #425
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,442
Local Time: 09:27 PM
i don't really consider you a yankee fan then... i consider you someone who, if the yankees were to go into a tailspin once again and the mets sustained their level of success, would hop on the ole bandwagon.

not that my opinion matters, buuuut i could never change loyalties to the yankees. root for them to win the ALCS so that i can continue to taunt my red sox friends from college, something i loved doing so so much? no problem... root for them because the mets had a few bad years? fuck that.

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words


I hate the fucking Mets, if that makes you feel better.

I respect the franchise, however, more so now than ever. I like the culture they're establishing and it feels like their laying a foundation for perpetual succes. I still hate them. Watching Willie Randolph wear a Met uniform, now as manager, still bothers me. Kills me to root against him.

Headache, I'm with you. I do not like fans, be they Yankee or otherwise, with a sense of entitlement. I rooted for the Yanks during some very bad years, and so every year they make the playoffs is a happy year for me. This has been an amazing run, going back to the strike year of '94, and I am lucky to have a team I root for experience such long term excellence. I don't think they need to win or even make the WS every year. I just want them to be competitive every year, that works for me.
i feel the same way... i hate the yankees, but i respect their players. how can you not respect derek jeter and mariano rivera? even though a little shine has come off of jeter with this whole a-rod thing, he's still a gamer, and the silly mets fan who can't give him that respect, i have no time for.

i still hate him, though
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 03-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #426
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,953
Local Time: 09:27 PM

Did you read my post? If you did, get your head out of your ass! Jump on the bandwagon? Are you kidding me? The Boss disgraced the club during the 80's. By the way, I rooted for both teams, but the Boss wasn't going to get any of my money at that time, so I didn't go to any Yankee games. I'm sure a lot of fans stayed away back then, not just me. The Boss was running the team like shit and there was a backlash. Once the Boss was banned, I started rooting for the Yankees again. Now in 1992 or 1993, the Yankees were still struggling, but at least they didn't have assholes on their team like the Mets did at the time. It appears as if you read like one sentence of last post.
__________________
MrPryck2U is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #427
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,442
Local Time: 09:27 PM
no i read the entire post.

look, we'll agree to disagree.

the mets were assholes in the 90s... they've sucked for a long long time. i coldn't switch sides... i just find it wrong. anyone who roots for more than one team i consider a bandwagon jumper, esp. when it involves rivals.

i'm a knicks fan. one could say they're being run like shit. i'm sitll a knicks fan... i couldn't see myself rooting for the nets, even when they move to brooklyn. when the giants sucked a couple years back and the jets were in the playoffs, i certainly didn't root for the jets. i think hockey's for communists, but once upon a time i liked the islanders... even now that i don't watch the sport, if i were to all of a sudden regain interest, it certainly couldn't be for the rangers.

difference of opinion... i'm of the theory that you root for one team and one team only. you obviously think otherwise. fair enough. but i'm obviously not alone in that opinion, so there's a bunch of us with our heads up our asses.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 03-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #428
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,062
Local Time: 09:27 PM
I have to agree. I've always been a Red Sox fan, and believe me, they've had their share of years where they sucked. If you are a fan of a team, you stick with them through the good and bad. That's how I've always been.

That's why it's so satisfying being a Patriots fan now, after all that shit they went through in the late 80's and early 90's.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #429
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,410
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Whoops - Double posted.
__________________
DaveC is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #430
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,410
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
no i read the entire post.

look, we'll agree to disagree.

the mets were assholes in the 90s... they've sucked for a long long time. i coldn't switch sides... i just find it wrong. anyone who roots for more than one team i consider a bandwagon jumper, esp. when it involves rivals.

i'm a knicks fan. one could say they're being run like shit. i'm sitll a knicks fan... i couldn't see myself rooting for the nets, even when they move to brooklyn. when the giants sucked a couple years back and the jets were in the playoffs, i certainly didn't root for the jets. i think hockey's for communists, but once upon a time i liked the islanders... even now that i don't watch the sport, if i were to all of a sudden regain interest, it certainly couldn't be for the rangers.

difference of opinion... i'm of the theory that you root for one team and one team only. you obviously think otherwise. fair enough. but i'm obviously not alone in that opinion, so there's a bunch of us with our heads up our asses.


I think you and I have the same opinion on bandwagons - pick a team and stick with 'em, win or lose.

Like Phanan said, supporting a team through shitty losing seasons makes it all the more sweet when they finally do start winning.
__________________
DaveC is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #431
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,953
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Well Headache, I guess I got to give you some props. As a consumer, if I'm not happy with the person in charge of the product being sold, I'm going to shop elsewhere. I guess I'll just label myself a New York baseball with a stronger preference for the Yankees. You, on the other hand, have an unbreakable loyality for your sports teams. Like the NY Knicks. They are a joke.
__________________
MrPryck2U is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #432
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,953
Local Time: 09:27 PM

I meant to say that I would just label myself a New York baseball fan.
__________________
MrPryck2U is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #433
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,489
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPryck2U
Well Headache, I guess I got to give you some props. As a consumer, if I'm not happy with the person in charge of the product being sold, I'm going to shop elsewhere. I guess I'll just label myself a New York baseball with a stronger preference for the Yankees. You, on the other hand, have an unbreakable loyality for your sports teams. Like the NY Knicks. They are a joke.
Its possible to be a loyal fan and also boycott or protest the team if ownership is failing miserably.

I am loyal to the 4 major Boston teams (though like Headache, not much of a hockey fan), but when things are going badly becasue of poor management ( the perfect local example is the Rick Pitino regime for the Celtics), I will not purchase tickets and otherwise financially support whats happening. I am still a fan of the team, didn't drop the Celts as my favorite hoop team and jump ship to the Spurs cause they got Tim Duncan and we got an ML Carr shit eating grin on lotery day.
__________________
Hewson is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #434
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,953
Local Time: 09:27 PM

Ok, back to the matter at hand. This Yankee fan says the Yankees are going back to the World Series in 2007. Not because they are entitled to it, but because they have that good of a team.
__________________
MrPryck2U is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #435
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,410
Local Time: 09:27 PM
I am bookmarking this for October.
__________________

__________________
DaveC is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com