The MLB Hot Stove Part 2 - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #376
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Hewson, I think every Yankee-hater predicts that every year. Sadly, it never comes true for them. Let's see, I think this will be the 13th straight season that the Yankees make it to the playoffs.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #377
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPryck2U
Indians in the World Series? Headache I always knew you were a funny guy. The second funniest is the Blue Jays in the East.
how many games did toronto win last year? oh yea... 87, second place in the east. holliday's the best pitcher in the division, and they added a huge bat in the middle with thomas.

cleveland was the sexy pick last year, had a rash of injuries early and started out like shit... rallied to finish a few games below .500. longshot? maybe... but did anyone outside of 8 mile think detroit was going to the world series? no. my only problem with picking cleveland is that steve phillps picked them as his "dark horse" world series team, and i try not to do anything that steve phillips does.

the yankees will do one of two things this year... and both of them hinge on a-rizzie.

a) a-rod removes the tampon from his ass, wins the mvp, puts up numbers in the playoffs and roll to the world series.

b) a-rod self combusts and the team falls apart amid constant bickering... joe torre gets canned in early august.

i'm gonna go for choice B... feel free to go with choice A, but unless a-rod fixes his issues, the yankees won't win a world series with him on the team. he's too big an issue.

i softened on my yankee hating after attending school in new england and realizing that red sox fans may be bigger douche bags... but after listening to months of yankee fans piss on bernie williams and mariano rivera, and complain about joe torre 'cause he hasn't won a championship since :gasp: 2000, my yankee hatred has peaked up a few significant notches.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #378
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

how many games did toronto win last year? oh yea... 87, second place in the east. holliday's the best pitcher in the division, and they added a huge bat in the middle with thomas.

cleveland was the sexy pick last year, had a rash of injuries early and started out like shit... rallied to finish a few games below .500. longshot? maybe... but did anyone outside of 8 mile think detroit was going to the world series? no. my only problem with picking cleveland is that steve phillps picked them as his "dark horse" world series team, and i try not to do anything that steve phillips does.

the yankees will do one of two things this year... and both of them hinge on a-rizzie.

a) a-rod removes the tampon from his ass, wins the mvp, puts up numbers in the playoffs and roll to the world series.

b) a-rod self combusts and the team falls apart amid constant bickering... joe torre gets canned in early august.

i'm gonna go for choice B... feel free to go with choice A, but unless a-rod fixes his issues, the yankees won't win a world series with him on the team. he's too big an issue.

i softened on my yankee hating after attending school in new england and realizing that red sox fans may be bigger douche bags... but after listening to months of yankee fans piss on bernie williams and mariano rivera, and complain about joe torre 'cause he hasn't won a championship since :gasp: 2000, my yankee hatred has peaked up a few significant notches.
I'd like to punch any Yankee fan that pisses on Williams or Rivera in the face. To be honest, none of my friends that are Yankee fans are ripping on either, though.

Halladay is great, but he's pretty injury prone. That being said, I can't argue against a Toronto prediction, because I see it as plausible. Don't know why the Yankees would ever implode, though, does not seem likely. They might not reach the playoffs, but, they're not going to implode.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #379
Blue Crack Distributor

if it looks as if there's a chance that they won't make the playoffs, the pressure from the media and from king george the third will be astounding.

i smell bronx zoo.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #380
Blue Crack Addict

If the Yanks are 10 games behind the Red Sox and 6 behind Toronto around the All Star break (not likely, but just say), then implode might be an understatement.
Between Calzone Lover and the NY media circus, it would be beyond crazy.
One can only dream.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #381
Blue Crack Supplier

Maybe I'm just too biased, but I cannot envision an implosion. I'm sure I might be wrong, though.

I'm trying to think about it objectively, and you are right, if they are trailing badly come the All-Star break, yes, it will be a circus and then some. They just seem too veteran-laden, too experienced, etc, to simply implode. We'll see.

Also, I'll just add that it is hard for me to actually accept that Toronto has a better team than the Yanks, the excellence of Hallady aside. The Jays are a trendy pick this year, but, I am unconvinced. Maybe if Halladay AND Burnett pitch a whole season.

I wish A-Rod would just go away. Go to the Cubs or something. Just go.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #382
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Once again, you guys are all making me laugh. Don't you all realize every year in the Bronx is a circus? The great thing about the Yanks is that they don't really panic. Every year all the Yankee-haters are hoping/praying that they implode. Granted, the Yanks don't make it to the World Series every year, but they do make it to the playoffs every year. I don't really believe it's too wacky to predict that, once again, for the 13th straight season, they'll make the playoffs. Also, much to the chagrin of Yankee-haters, Joe Torre WON'T be fired by August. I'm glad Bernie didn't join the Yanks this Spring. I'd rather remember Bernie leaving on a high note than being cut in Spring training. This year, there's just no room for Bernie. As for Mo Rivera, I don't think he should've said anything about his contract exstention with the Yanks. Everyone knows the Yanks wait until after the season to evaluate their players. Mo should know this by now. What happens if Mo's arm gives him problems and he breaks down again? You think teams are going to spend alot of money on a guy with questionable health who's in his late 30's? Maybe, but it would be a foolish move. Anyway, it all becomes moot if Mo stays healthy and has another solid year. I don't see Mo playing for any other team accept the Yanks.

Now, on to some other teams. The BoSox, once again, will be the biggest threat to the Yanks. I really don't see the Jays in the playoff picture. Yes, they'll have a competitive team, but I don't think they'll contend at the end. As a matter of fact, I think Jays' manager, John Gibbons is the man on the hot seat. He had a number of problems with his players last year and as a result, his team fell out of contention.
Over in the AL Central, I see the Tigers, ChiSox, Twins and Indians all contending for a playoff spot.
Over in the AL West, the Angels and the A's are the teams to beat, but any team in that division could be in the mix.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #383
Blue Crack Addict

The Yankees have two things going against them this year:

1. They still have A-Rod
2. The starting rotation is suspect.

Wang is their best pitcher, but after that, who knows? Mussina and Pettite are not what they once were. Pavano is a wimp who seems to be despised by much of the team. And Jeter apparently can't stand A-Rod, either, and for good reason.

Can they work things out and still win? Of course. Can they also be a massive trainwreck waiting to happen? Of course.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #384
Blue Crack Addict

A-Rod won the MVP just 2 seasons ago

I don't really see having him on the team as being such a detriment, even if a couple of the players dont like him
Old 03-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #385
Blue Crack Addict

Please tell me you're joking.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:40 PM   #386
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Jeter NEVER said he couldn't stand A-rod. He just said (and so did A-rod)that they are just not close friends anymore. Last time I checked, you don't have to be buddies with your teammates to win a championship. See the A's of the early 70's and the Yanks of the late 70's for examples of this. A-rod and Jeter still root for each other. This Jeter/A-rod thing is a non-issue. As for Pavano, it looks like the Yanks are just trying to light a fire under the guy. Wouldn't you be pissed at Pavano's attitude over the last few seasons too? This is New York baby! Pressure to win comes with putting on the pinstripes. If you don't want that pressure, don't sign with Yanks.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #387
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
A-Rod won the MVP just 2 seasons ago

I don't really see having him on the team as being such a detriment, even if a couple of the players dont like him
You need to take a closer look, then.

Phanan, agreed to a point about the Yankee rotation, but, you can say that about any rotation. For the Sox, what if Dice-K is the next Irabu. What if Papelbon's arm responds poorly to a return to the rotation. What if Schilling's age catches up with him this year. What if Beckett regresses, or, simply pitches the same as last year. I know he won a lot of games, but that was by virtue of run support; his ERA was bad. Blue Jays have question marks in their rotation. So does every contender with the possible exception of the Dodgers, who seem to have an abundance of arms.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #388
Blue Crack Addict

Definitely true. But on paper, you have to admit the Sox rotation appears to have the upper hand.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #389
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
This Jeter/A-rod thing is a non-issue.
I disagree. They sugarcoated it for the media, but I just think they truly dislike each other now.

Quote:
As for Pavano, it looks like the Yanks are just trying to light a fire under the guy. Wouldn't you be pissed at Pavano's attitude over the last few seasons too? This is New York baby! Pressure to win comes with putting on the pinstripes. If you don't want that pressure, don't sign with Yanks.
Can't argue with that. I don't see a good outlook for him this year, though.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #390
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Definitely true. But on paper, you have to admit the Sox rotation appears to have the upper hand.
If every single pitcher on the Yanks and Sox pitches to their potential, then, yes, the Sox have the upper hand, I agree.

I think we have the better bullpen.