The MLB Hot Stove Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrPryck2U said:
Igawa isn't going in the pen and Clemens probably won't go to the Yankees.
Let me get this straight here:
The Yankees ALLEGEDLY are looking to trade a 43 year old and then they are ALLEGEDLY looking to replace him with a 44 year old. Ain't buying it! This kind of talk is up there with "Joe Torre being fired" and "Arod being traded". Despite all the squawking, they never happened.

I honestly do not think anyone knows where Igawa is going yet, not sure how you can be so positive about it....

Edit - Unless you've read something I've missed lately? Hard to keep up with the NY papers here in LA.

Last edited:
MrPryck2U said:
Igawa isn't going in the pen and Clemens probably won't go to the Yankees.
Let me get this straight here:
The Yankees ALLEGEDLY are looking to trade a 43 year old and then they are ALLEGEDLY looking to replace him with a 44 year old. Ain't buying it! This kind of talk is up there with "Joe Torre being fired" and "Arod being traded". Despite all the squawking, they never happened.

And some things do happen, like Sheffield going to the Tigers. You know, at first he was ALLEGEDLY going there.

Not everything pans out, true, but you never know.

We all knew Sheff was history after the season. It makes zero sense to put this guy in the pen. Plus, it has been stated that he would be a back end starter in the rotation. I site www.newsday.com as a source. Unlike the New York Post, their stories pan out.

Hey Headache, stop stealing The Rock's material!
Seriously though, Yankee broadcaster Bobby Murcer had his brain tumor surgery today. Right now he's recovering. Get well soon, Bobby.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'd just like to say that i wouldn't mind if chizip printed his new signiture out, took the paper it was printed on, turned it sideways and shoved it up his ass.

He must lamenate the paper first....hehe.

Hey Numb, Headache, what do you think our Mets will do pitching wise (starters)

1. Glavine
2. Hernandez
3. Maine
4. Pelfrey
5. Perez

I would think thats the way it looks at the moment. I still get off when it was mentioned we were going to try to get Haren or Peavy. But after the price of pitchers skyrocked. It would take Humber, Pelfey, and Milledge at least I would assume to get one of them if not more (Heilman). With all it took to get Jennings, I think it would take at least this.......man.

I know last year's rotation was not much better and I know the Mets can get by until Pedro comes back or make a deal at the deadline. I guess I would hate to see the Mets make a move just for the sake of making a move.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'd just like to say that i wouldn't mind if chizip printed his new signiture out, took the paper it was printed on, turned it sideways and shoved it up his ass.

20metsslide.jpg

meanwhile i was standing by two security guards during this. after molina's dinger i had the rape/death threats increased exponentially :wink:

MrPryck2U said:
Hey Headache, stop stealing The Rock's material!
Seriously though, Yankee broadcaster Bobby Murcer had his brain tumor surgery today. Right now he's recovering. Get well soon, Bobby.

Amen. I wished him well earlier in the thread and asked people not to make any jokes about it.

That Met rotation looks good, but not great.

I wonder who has the strongest rotation going into next season, now that the bulk of the free agents are signed. I still maintain that Jason Schmidt has been the best signing of the winter....a lot of $$$, but not too many years, and he's still pretty good. Just one man's opinion.

No spoken words said:

Amen. I wished him well earlier in the thread and asked people not to make any jokes about it.

That Met rotation looks good, but not great.

I wonder who has the strongest rotation going into next season, now that the bulk of the free agents are signed. I still maintain that Jason Schmidt has been the best signing of the winter....a lot of $$$, but not too many years, and he's still pretty good. Just one man's opinion.

I would have to think Boston's Rotation looks great.

Beckett
Schilling
Papelbon
Matsuzaka
Lester
Wakefield

That looks formidable.

I know this is way out of left field.....But what about Doug Davis? He is not listed in the Brew Crews rotation. He is a FA or what?

TheBrush said:

I would have to think Boston's Rotation looks great.

Beckett
Schilling
Papelbon
Matsuzaka
Lester
Wakefield

That looks formidable.

I know this is way out of left field.....But what about Doug Davis? He is not listed in the Brew Crews rotation. He is a FA or what?

assuming lester is well enough to pitch

Davis got dealt to the D-Backs.

I agree that the Sox rotation looks good, but, 3 question marks. Well, 4, possibly 5.

1 - Is Matsuzaka for real
2 - Will Beckett post another 5.00 ERA, cos if so, that's not too formidable.
3 - Schilling's getting older and more injury prone, can he holdd up
4 - Lester? Health????
5 - Will Papelbon make the transition back to starting?

I'm sure #5 will not be too much of an issue, Papelbon has great stuff....but the other 4, who knows? So, potentially a very scary rotation, but there is potential there for things going wrong, too. Fun to talk about, though. :)

you know whos got a good rotation? the brewers. they could actually be good this year.

Chizip said:
you know whos got a good rotation? the brewers. they could actually be good this year.

Not sure if you're serious or not.

I think a lot of people considered the Brewers on the brink of being good last year.

If Sheets can go for a whole year, and Suppan can post 15 wins, who knows. Capuano is an ok #2, then Suppan would be 3, I think, with Vargas and Bush rounding things out. Cordero and Turnbow in the pen.

After seeing the Tigers do what they did last year, few things would surprise me this coming season.

Milwaukee would love to have a Brewers team do well, been so long since they even contended.....

83 wins was good enough to win the NL Central last year, and many of the teams besides the Brewers have gotten weaker in the offseason, so they certainly have a shot.

No spoken words said:

Not sure if you're serious or not.

I'm super serial.

They've got one of the most complete starting rotations in the NL and have some good young hitters. Their defense and bullpen is a little suspect, but if there is any year for them to make a run at the playoffs its next year.

Just checking.....

No offense to your Cards, but, I'd like to see the Brewers make a run at the division. Better them than the fantasy-team Cubs.

Not that a Yankee fan can afford to talk about fantasy teams.

TheBrush, I think that 4 of those guys will be in the Mets rotation. I think that Omar will be hell-bent to trade Heilman or Milledge for another starter.....Haren or Peavy.

PS - I liked Chizip better when he had other signatures.....this one, makes me want to puke a little in my mouth.

No spoken words said:

I agree that the Sox rotation looks good, but, 3 question marks. Well, 4, possibly 5.

1 - Is Matsuzaka for real
2 - Will Beckett post another 5.00 ERA, cos if so, that's not too formidable.
3 - Schilling's getting older and more injury prone, can he holdd up
4 - Lester? Health????
5 - Will Papelbon make the transition back to starting?

I'm sure #5 will not be too much of an issue, Papelbon has great stuff....but the other 4, who knows? So, potentially a very scary rotation, but there is potential there for things going wrong, too. Fun to talk about, though. :)

I only see two possible issues - Beckett and Matsuzaka. We'll find out this year if Beckett can adjust to the AL better, and we'll also see if Matsuzaka is for real indeed.

Schilling isn't injury prone. He had a lost year in 2005 due to infamous bloody sock situation. He basically sacrificed 2005 to win the World Series. Other than that, he's actually been quite durable.

Lester is completely cancer free, so his health isn't an issue anymore.

And since he was a starter previously, I don't see Papelbon having any problems.

The Sox also have Tim Wakefield still, who is usually a dependable 4th or 5th starter.

But as we all know, anything can happen over the course of a season.

The Phils rotation is now NL-adequate:

1. Freddy Garcia
2. Cole Hamels
3. Brett Myers
4. Jamie Moyer
5. Adam Eaton
About to be traded for bullpen help: Jon Lieber

Our pen still sucks, the only guys we got with any promise to do well this year are Tom Gordon and Matt Smith.

Chizip said:

I'm super serial.

They've got one of the most complete starting rotations in the NL and have some good young hitters. Their defense and bullpen is a little suspect, but if there is any year for them to make a run at the playoffs its next year.

remember what you told me about the arizona cardinals in the NFL thread? well i'm telling you the same thing about the milwaukee brewers.

TheBrush said:
what do you think our Mets will do pitching wise (starters)

i'm more concearned with the depletion of the bullpen. duaner needs to come back healthy.

the mets rotation is fine for the regular season. the NL still sucks. keep it as is, let the young guys pitch on the back end, hope you catch lightning in a bottle with one of 'em (maine, perez, pelfrey, humber) and then make a deal mid-season if you have to. someone will become available.

i don't want them trading away heilman for an injury plagued pitcher like harden, or an unproven guy like haren. peavy? i'd consider that... but i'd prefer to hold on to heilman if i could.

if they want to trade milledge for either of those guys, i'll drive him to the airport.

phanan said:

I only see two possible issues - Beckett and Matsuzaka. We'll find out this year if Beckett can adjust to the AL better, and we'll also see if Matsuzaka is for real indeed.

Schilling isn't injury prone. He had a lost year in 2005 due to infamous bloody sock situation. He basically sacrificed 2005 to win the World Series. Other than that, he's actually been quite durable.

Lester is completely cancer free, so his health isn't an issue anymore.

And since he was a starter previously, I don't see Papelbon having any problems.

The Sox also have Tim Wakefield still, who is usually a dependable 4th or 5th starter.

But as we all know, anything can happen over the course of a season.

I actually mentioned that Papelbon was a starter before, but, after spendiing a year in the pen, bouncing right back to starter is an adjustment...these guys are human. Again, I'm sure it will go smoothly, but you never know. Also, he's nevere pitched a full season as a starter at the ML level. To me, that's a ?, even if we feel pretty sure of the answer.

As for Lester, boy, wish I was a sure as you that because he's cancer free that his body is ready to resume being an athlete at the elite level. I'll believe he can do it when I see it, until then he's a guy who just had his body go through hell. And, yeah, everything I've read say his CT scans are great and he's reporting with pitchers and catchers, I just don't think we can assume anything until we see it..and that constitutes a big? in my head. And, like Papelbon, it's not like we're talking about a proven ML level winner here, coming back from chemo. He's pitched 81 innings at the ML level. And he's not a question mark.?

You're right about Schilling, I guess his age worries me more than anything, but he put up his 200 innings last year..I just for whatever reason recall him missing a start or two with an arm issue, but I'm probably wrong.

Last edited:
Here are a few baseball related thoughts for the weekend:

1. I expect the Tigers to finish 3rd in the AL Central behind the Twins and the Sux. I assume that the Tigs rotation will suffer from the extended innings of 2006 in the same what that the Sux' did from 2005 - especially Bondo and Verlander.

2. I think the Cubs finish 4 games over .500 and 2.5 games out of the Wild Card. Zambrano will miss 5 starts due to an injury, Lily and Marquis will eat up a lot of innings but only be slightly better than average starting pitchers. The Cubs offense will start slow, heat up in the middle of the year and fade down the stretch. On June 28th, I will send out an email to my buddies with the subject line "Pinella - I told you so... bitches".

3. The Mets will tank. Sorry Numb & Headache, unless they do something soon to bolster the rotation, they are in a lot of trouble. The bull-pen just doesn't have the depth to rescue them again.

4. By the middle of July, I will have sworn to myself that I am not following anymore baseball for the rest of the year which means that I will only spend 1.5 hours a day reading all the game summaries and I will only listen to Tiger and Cubs broadcasts until the 6th or 7th when the urge to drive my car into a pole or a lake will force me to turn off the radio. Then I will promptly forget all of that in October and allow Joe Buck to convince me again of the magic of the postseason...

Is it Feb. 15th yet?

Supposedly the Mets have interest in Weaver, I can't see him wanting to go back to NY

A friend of mine played blackjack with both Weavers last week, and at that point, Jeff told her that he had no idea where he was heading.

Dalton, I swore off baseball 2 years ago and it lasted about one week.

Right boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom