The MLB Hot Stove Part 2 - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2007, 10:05 AM   #256
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:01 PM
^ Very possible, I'm going to have faith until he proves otherwise. Hopefully being in Boston will motivate him, but he played in a pretty passionate baseball environment in STL and that didn't happen, so who knows.

Maybe we finally got our A-Rod

BTW has anyone seen the Matsuzaka commercials on youtube? There's a great beer one, I'll try & find the link...

Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #257
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:01 PM
CT, has JD won 2 MVP's yet?

BTW, good sign for Yankee fans that Peyton Manning won the Super Bowl. Maybe A-rod will remove the monkey from his back.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #258
Blue Crack Distributor

JANUARY 24--An Illinois man tried to extort a six-figure payment from an unnamed "professional athlete," claiming that his daughter was impregnated by the athlete shortly after they met late last year at a St. Louis nightclub, according to federal investigators. An FBI affidavit (a copy of which you'll find below) alleges that George Edwards, 48, met with a friend of the pro athlete--who is only identified as "P.A."--and reported that his daughter Laura was pregnant and "wanted money." The athlete's friend then offered "several thousand dollars to have George and Laura, then 22, leave P.A. alone," wrote FBI Agent Dustin Sorrells. Soon, one of the athlete's sports agents was negotiating with George Edwards to pay $25,000 to "obtain a DNA test to establish paternity." If the child was the athlete's, he was prepared to pay Laura Edwards an additional $125,000. In January, a second agent for the athlete traveled from California to St. Louis to deliver the $25,000 payment to George Edwards. Days later, Edwards called the agent and claimed that Laura had suffered a miscarriage, but that he still wanted the $125,000 payment. And if he didn't get the money, Edwards warned, he would file a legal claim against the athlete and "make P.A.'s affair with Laura public." It was at this point that the athlete and his agents apparently first contacted the FBI. In a subsequent monitored phone call, when the second agent agreed to the $125,000 hush money payment, Edwards repeatedly assured him that, in return, he "would not notify the Associated Press, the Sporting News or any other media outlet either directly or through his attorney." As part of the deal, Edwards was supposed to turn over "some recordings and photographs which presumably documented Laura's relationship with P.A.," the affidavit notes. George Edwards was arrested Monday and charged with extortion, a felony which carries a maximum of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. He is in custody pending a detention hearing scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Laura Edwards has not been charged. (3 pages)

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...72extort1.html

P.A., eh? hmmm... pujols, albert?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #259
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:01 PM
Wow, if that's true that's quiet a hit on P.A's character. All we get to hear about from him is how great of a parent/husband he is. Stories I've heard from realtives and friends down in that area is that he's kind of a jerk. *Edit* When they've tried to get autographs or talk to him at the stadium.

Wonder if this story will turn into anything more.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #260
Blue Crack Distributor

to be fair...

P.A. could very easily just stand for "pro athlete"

if someone pestered me at work, i'd be ornery, too... especially if it was the 5,213th person to ask me for my autograph on that particular day.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #261
Blue Crack Addict

coughmarcbulgercough
Old 02-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #262
Blue Crack Addict

PA does stand for Professional Athlete and it's already been revealed to be Ronnie Belliard

nice try though
Old 02-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #263
Blue Crack Addict

The woman thought she was hooking up with LL Cool J and was disapppointed when she found out it was belliard so she tried for a few bucks.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #264
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Derek Jeter is already at Spring Training. I like that he reports early every year. I'm sure someone will have something snide to say about it, or him, but I just think the guy's a fantastic leader (leader by example, that is, he's not a lead by words kind of guy, at least not to the press) and I wish more superstars worked as hard as he does to continually get better.

I cannot help it, every year, once the Super Bowl is over, I get really jazzed for Spring Training. And, to have March Madness, not just the National tourney but all the insane conference finals you get leading up to the tourney, followed by the start of the MLB season really makes it a fun time to be a sports fan.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #265
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
PA does stand for Professional Athlete and it's already been revealed to be Ronnie Belliard

nice try though
I was kindof thinking Phat Albert...oh well.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:33 PM   #266
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Looks like the Hot Stove has cooled off. Pitchers and catchers report in a few days. Baseball is almost back. Go Yankees!
Old 02-10-2007, 08:09 AM   #267
Blue Crack Supplier

Five-time All-Star Bernie Williams has rejected the New York Yankees' offer of a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, according to newspaper reports.

Instead, Williams on Friday revealed his preference to stay at home, stay in shape, spend time with his family and wait to see if the Yankees change their minds and offer him a guaranteed roster spot.

"I think if they wanted me they would have signed me already," Williams told reporters at a benefit in Connecticut on Friday night. "The option to go to spring training and see what happened -- I don't think at this moment it is something I want to consider."

The Daily News quoted Williams as saying, "I'm working out, but I think the way it looks right now, it doesn't seem like I'm going to be playing with that team this year."

Williams, who has been with the Yankees since 1991, has made no secret of his desire to remain with them. But with the team's plan to go with 12 pitchers, platoon at first base and move Jason Giambi to designated hitter, there is no spot on a 25-man roster for the 38-year-old Williams at this point, general manager Brian Cashman said.

"We love and respect Bernie, but with the dynamic of our roster, there's not a spot," The New York Times quoted Cashman as saying. "We had a lot of conversations with him. I understand that he doesn't want to accept a minor league deal."

Johnny Damon took Williams' job as the starter in center last year, and Melky Cabrera is slated to be the fourth outfielder.

Yankees manager Joe Torre likes Williams' abilities, which could weigh in his favor if he does come to camp.

Williams filled in capably last season when Hideki Matsui and Gary Sheffield were injured, batting .281 with 12 homers and 61 RBIs.

Williams said he's fully aware of the team's plans, but he is not ready to call it a career.

"As it is right now, it doesn't seem like I am going to be playing with that team this year," Williams said in the Times story. But "it is just part of the game. It is what makes this interesting."
Old 02-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #268
Blue Crack Addict

I'm kind of surprised, although I know there is some pride there. But with Torre still around, I have no doubt he would have made the team, and he could have finished off his career with one more year.

Torre most likely won't come back after this season, so it would have worked for one more year for Bernie as well.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #269
Blue Crack Distributor

mets signed chan ho park to a 600,000 contract.

now that is a great signing... if he can ever capitalize on his earlier potential it's a steal, if he can't, the mets will make enough money to cover his contract on one friday night at shea.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #270
Blue Crack Supplier

You know, Headache, it is a fairly risk-free signing, but, doesn't it worry you a little that they have to go for re-treads like that before the season even starts. I mean, they are a legit WS contender and they're signing cats like that. It's rare to see such a consensus WS contender have such questionable pitching. But, maybe he'll find his form and be a steal, I don't know.

Phanan, I'm not that surprised. I guess after you're an All-Star and a fixture in CF, you don't want to be told on 3/31 that you're cut or heading to Columbus....er....Scranton. Maybe he's right in thinking that if Damon or Abreu get hurt that the Yanks will reach out to him regardless of whether he goes to camp or not.

On a side note, for the first time in my life, I'll be at Spring Training. A week after the big 3/17 gathering in NY, I'll head to Florida for a few days. Cannot believe that I've never been before. So, yeah, rejoice for me. Or, not, that too.