The MLB Hot Stove Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
ugh... a yankee fan who likes the mets? now that just isn't right :wink:

I hate the fucking Mets, if that makes you feel better.

I respect the franchise, however, more so now than ever. I like the culture they're establishing and it feels like their laying a foundation for perpetual succes. I still hate them. Watching Willie Randolph wear a Met uniform, now as manager, still bothers me. Kills me to root against him.

Headache, I'm with you. I do not like fans, be they Yankee or otherwise, with a sense of entitlement. I rooted for the Yanks during some very bad years, and so every year they make the playoffs is a happy year for me. This has been an amazing run, going back to the strike year of '94, and I am lucky to have a team I root for experience such long term excellence. I don't think they need to win or even make the WS every year. I just want them to be competitive every year, that works for me.

As a Yankee fan, I do have a little confession: During the mid 80's, I kind of backed away from my Yankee fandom and rooted for the Mets. I'm sure you remember, but the Boss was a HUGE asshole during the 80's. Not only did he have penchant for hiring and firing managers and signing washed-up free agents, but he also had a major vendetta against one of my favorite Yankees, Dave Winfield. Yes, it was the Boss who came up with the derisive Mr May moniker for Big Dave on account of his lackluster 1 for 22 performance in the 1981 World Series. Dave's first season with the team. And since then, for the next 9 seasons, The Boss loved the chance to pick on Big Dave. Now, with all due respect to Don Mattingly, Dave Winfield was the Yankees' greatest player in the 1980's. The Boss's bad karma finally caught up to him when MLB banned him for 3 years. When MLB banned him I was so happy. No more meddling from That Man. And coincidentally enough, the Yankees were able to build themselves a dynasty without The Boss butting his nose in.
BTW, during the Mets 1993 season is when I stopped rooting for them. Yes, they sucked, but they had so many players on the team who were absolute assholes. Bobby"I'll show you the Bronx"Bonilla, Vince"Firecracker"Coleman and Bret"I sprayed bleach at a reporter and denied it at first"Saberhagen to name a few. 1993 was probably one of the worst seasons in Mets history.

i don't really consider you a yankee fan then... i consider you someone who, if the yankees were to go into a tailspin once again and the mets sustained their level of success, would hop on the ole bandwagon.

not that my opinion matters, buuuut i could never change loyalties to the yankees. root for them to win the ALCS so that i can continue to taunt my red sox friends from college, something i loved doing so so much? no problem... root for them because the mets had a few bad years? fuck that.

No spoken words said:

I hate the fucking Mets, if that makes you feel better.

I respect the franchise, however, more so now than ever. I like the culture they're establishing and it feels like their laying a foundation for perpetual succes. I still hate them. Watching Willie Randolph wear a Met uniform, now as manager, still bothers me. Kills me to root against him.

Headache, I'm with you. I do not like fans, be they Yankee or otherwise, with a sense of entitlement. I rooted for the Yanks during some very bad years, and so every year they make the playoffs is a happy year for me. This has been an amazing run, going back to the strike year of '94, and I am lucky to have a team I root for experience such long term excellence. I don't think they need to win or even make the WS every year. I just want them to be competitive every year, that works for me.

:up: i feel the same way... i hate the yankees, but i respect their players. how can you not respect derek jeter and mariano rivera? even though a little shine has come off of jeter with this whole a-rod thing, he's still a gamer, and the silly mets fan who can't give him that respect, i have no time for.

i still hate him, though

Did you read my post? If you did, get your head out of your ass! Jump on the bandwagon? Are you kidding me? The Boss disgraced the club during the 80's. By the way, I rooted for both teams, but the Boss wasn't going to get any of my money at that time, so I didn't go to any Yankee games. I'm sure a lot of fans stayed away back then, not just me. The Boss was running the team like shit and there was a backlash. Once the Boss was banned, I started rooting for the Yankees again. Now in 1992 or 1993, the Yankees were still struggling, but at least they didn't have assholes on their team like the Mets did at the time. It appears as if you read like one sentence of last post.

no i read the entire post.

look, we'll agree to disagree.

the mets were assholes in the 90s... they've sucked for a long long time. i coldn't switch sides... i just find it wrong. anyone who roots for more than one team i consider a bandwagon jumper, esp. when it involves rivals.

i'm a knicks fan. one could say they're being run like shit. i'm sitll a knicks fan... i couldn't see myself rooting for the nets, even when they move to brooklyn. when the giants sucked a couple years back and the jets were in the playoffs, i certainly didn't root for the jets. i think hockey's for communists, but once upon a time i liked the islanders... even now that i don't watch the sport, if i were to all of a sudden regain interest, it certainly couldn't be for the rangers.

difference of opinion... i'm of the theory that you root for one team and one team only. you obviously think otherwise. fair enough. but i'm obviously not alone in that opinion, so there's a bunch of us with our heads up our asses.

I have to agree. I've always been a Red Sox fan, and believe me, they've had their share of years where they sucked. If you are a fan of a team, you stick with them through the good and bad. That's how I've always been.

That's why it's so satisfying being a Patriots fan now, after all that shit they went through in the late 80's and early 90's.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
no i read the entire post.

look, we'll agree to disagree.

the mets were assholes in the 90s... they've sucked for a long long time. i coldn't switch sides... i just find it wrong. anyone who roots for more than one team i consider a bandwagon jumper, esp. when it involves rivals.

i'm a knicks fan. one could say they're being run like shit. i'm sitll a knicks fan... i couldn't see myself rooting for the nets, even when they move to brooklyn. when the giants sucked a couple years back and the jets were in the playoffs, i certainly didn't root for the jets. i think hockey's for communists, but once upon a time i liked the islanders... even now that i don't watch the sport, if i were to all of a sudden regain interest, it certainly couldn't be for the rangers.

difference of opinion... i'm of the theory that you root for one team and one team only. you obviously think otherwise. fair enough. but i'm obviously not alone in that opinion, so there's a bunch of us with our heads up our asses.

:up:

I think you and I have the same opinion on bandwagons - pick a team and stick with 'em, win or lose.

Like Phanan said, supporting a team through shitty losing seasons makes it all the more sweet when they finally do start winning.

Well Headache, I guess I got to give you some props. As a consumer, if I'm not happy with the person in charge of the product being sold, I'm going to shop elsewhere. I guess I'll just label myself a New York baseball with a stronger preference for the Yankees. You, on the other hand, have an unbreakable loyality for your sports teams. Like the NY Knicks. They are a joke.

MrPryck2U said:
Well Headache, I guess I got to give you some props. As a consumer, if I'm not happy with the person in charge of the product being sold, I'm going to shop elsewhere. I guess I'll just label myself a New York baseball with a stronger preference for the Yankees. You, on the other hand, have an unbreakable loyality for your sports teams. Like the NY Knicks. They are a joke.
Its possible to be a loyal fan and also boycott or protest the team if ownership is failing miserably.

I am loyal to the 4 major Boston teams (though like Headache, not much of a hockey fan), but when things are going badly becasue of poor management ( the perfect local example is the Rick Pitino regime for the Celtics), I will not purchase tickets and otherwise financially support whats happening. I am still a fan of the team, didn't drop the Celts as my favorite hoop team and jump ship to the Spurs cause they got Tim Duncan and we got an ML Carr shit eating grin on lotery day.

Ok, back to the matter at hand. This Yankee fan says the Yankees are going back to the World Series in 2007. Not because they are entitled to it, but because they have that good of a team.

Page 29 makes me shudder...

I could never be a Cubs fan that roots for the White Sox :crack:

Mark Prior got bombed...10 mph off his fastball? yikes...

Anyway, I noticed Clemens attended a Yankees game. I really won't like it if he decides half way through the season to join them. I wish if he was thinking of becoming a yankee, he would just sign right away. I respect the guy and I won't lose sleep over his decisions. I'm just stating my opinion.

of course the media jumped all over clemens showing up at the yankee game to watch pettite... that's the sexy story, clemens going back to new york...

but, alas, the much less sexy story but one that probably gives you a better idea as to where clemens will probably end up, again, took place earlier in the day, before his trip over to "legends field"

VIERA, FLA. - Before Roger Clemens' high-profile appearance at the New York Yankees game Wednesday in Tampa, Fla., he threw a round of batting practice in Kissimmee to some of the Astros' minor leaguers — and a major player.

Astros owner Drayton McLane put on a batting helmet, stepped into the batter's box against Clemens and looked at a few fastballs whiz past before deciding he had seen enough.

"I said, 'Roger, the only way I'm going to get in there is that if I get a hit off you, you're going to pitch for free,' " McLane said. "He kept saying not to crowd the plate because he was going to throw it inside. The first thing I thought about is I hope that sucker doesn't hit me."

Did McLane get a hit?

"Absolutely not," he said.

McLane, who returned home to Temple on Thursday, spent time entertaining some of his most important customers from his various business ventures, and several of them were able to face Clemens as well.

"It was a thrill of a lifetime for them," McLane said.

McLane noticed Clemens talking on his cell phone while sitting on the balcony outside his office at Osceola County Stadium about 15 minutes before Wednesday's Astros game.

"He said he was going to be pitching to (son) Koby and some of his friends on the minor league field in about an hour and he said to come over," said McLane, who estimated Clemens was throwing about 85 mph

Peter Gammons also seems to think it'll be Houston again. I believe something about going to Houston pisses off the fewest fans...

I'm ready for baseball, spring training is a week or 2 too long. Todd Helton is apparently missing games d/t knee problems...maybe the Sox dodged a bullet there.

I feel badly for the Angels. Gary Mathews hasn't commented at all on the mess that he's in and he's kind of leaving the Angels twisting in the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom