The MLB Hot Stove Part 2 - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2007, 07:47 AM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:51 PM
Seems like now that Boston's had a taste of victory (and the merchandising revenue that comes with it) the owners are willing to spend whatever it costs to get it back.

The New Yankees, perhaps...?

Now, the real reason I came in here: when do pitchers and catchers report? I can't wait for baseball

Old 01-29-2007, 08:29 AM   #212
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:51 PM
February 15th.

The greatest day of the year.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #213
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't want to see Todd Helton go to Boston. I think he's due to have a good season again, after some of the problems that hindered his play the last two years. I'd prefer he stay in Colorado where he's no threat to the Yankees.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #214
Blue Crack Addict

Lugo
Youkilis
Ortiz
Ramirez
Helton
Drew
Varitek
Crisp
Pedroia

I could like that
Old 01-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #215
Blue Crack Distributor

todd helton being able to pepper that wall with opposite field hits is a frightening thought to everyone else in the AL East.

certainly a better upgrade than JD friggin Drew
Old 01-29-2007, 10:26 AM   #216
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know - who knows how much of his numbers are inflated due to playing at Coors Field all these years. Yes, he's a good hitter, but he's on the decline and has been injury prone of late.

If all they gave up was Lowell and Hansen (and the Rockies paid half), then it might work. I'd keep Delcarmen, though.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #217
Blue Crack Addict

I think the Phillies have a real shot at it again this year. Two years ago was disappointing since I'd been to a game that season, but last year (the first year I ever really followed baseball) was heartbreaking.

The team is strong. God only knows what kind of absurd numbers Ryan Howard will be putting up this year (provided he stays healthy), Hamels is turning into an ace in a hurry, and the rest of the pitching staff is solid. The only thing that worries me right now is the left side of the infield - no catcher and no 3rd baseman to really depend on.

The offense and pitching of this team are downright scary!

I won't make a standings/W-L prediction yet (that can wait till spring training), but I will say that I think the Phillies will be the NL Wild Card and will run neck-and-neck with the Mets for the NL East title to the end.

I think over the course of one season, baseball's become my second-favourite sport already. I found it a little tough to keep up my interest in June and July last year (especially with the World Cup and Tour de France on), but this time I'm going to try to follow my team every game.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #218
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:51 PM
Chip, do you care about Weaver going to the M's?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:53 PM   #219
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The Rockies have announced that talks with the Red Sox have stopped and Todd Helton will be staying in Colorado. Well, for the time being anyway.

Also, Sammy Sosa has signed a minor league deal with the Texas Rangers.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #220
Blue Crack Addict

Oh well, no Helton...on to spring training.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:24 AM   #221
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
Chip, do you care about Weaver going to the M's?
in an offseason where meche gets 5 years 55 million, suppan gets 4 for 40, marquis gets 3 for 21, Weaver for 1 year 8 million would have been a good signing.

The Cardinals don't have much stability in the rotation so I'm a little upset we didn't match Seattle's offer. But it's not the end of the world.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #222
Blue Crack Distributor

the phillies major problems going into this off season were
a) no bat to protect howard in the lineup
b) shitty bullpen

they have done nothing to fix either of these problems.

now the mets only problem was depth at starting pitching. they did little to fix that, either. but the mets did lead the phillies by 12 games last year.

jimmy rollins and chase utley are both 29, ryan howard is 28... their window for significant improvement is closing, and closing fast. they should, baring injury, stay close to their current level for at least another 5 years, but as far as improving on last year's numbers as they approach 30 years of age? not likely.

where as you look at core of the mets lineup... delgado is 35 and probably has one more year before he starts a decline in power production. beltran will turn 30 this year and is unlikely to get significantly better from where he is, but still has another 4-5 years of consistant high level performance left before he starts to decline. david wright is 25, jose reyes is 24... each have another 3-4 years of improvement left in them before they top out, and then another 5 years of consistant top level performance (again baring injury).

ultimately, of course, it comes down to pitching. if hamels can become an ace, which his numbers last year by no means scream #1 starter (9-8 4.08 era in a bad league), he certainly showed signs that he could be that guy... but once upon a time the phillies thought gavin floyd would be that guy, too. but then again the mets can say the exact same things about john maine and oliver perez... two guys who've shown signs that they can be top of the rotation guys, just without consistancy.

long story short, the phillies didn't fill their two major needs, the mets didn't fill their one. the phillies didn't get significantly worse, neither did the mets. i see the status quo.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:50 PM   #223
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Roger Clemens has stated that he is failing at retiring. Hinting, that perhaps, he'll be coming back for another season in 2007.
Meanwhile, this past week in the Bronx, Yankees' 2B, Robinson Cano has switched his number 22 for number 24. When Clemens with the Yankees, he wore 22. Coincidence? Cano had worn 22 for 2 seasons.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:03 AM   #224
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:51 PM
It's be nice to have him back in The Bronx. He's insane, he had a fucking 2.30 ERA last season....was the NL, sure, but the league ERA was 4.54. His ERA for 2005 was 1.87. He was 42 years old. Amazing.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:06 AM   #225
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It would be nice to see him back in the Bronx. Could the Yanks squeeze another year out of him? I guess that's the big question.