The MLB Hot Stove Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. I'm ready to talk baseball.

3 things I noticed this morning. Papelbon had a good outing yesterday. You Sox fans should be excited.

Greg Maddux is a Padre now???

And finally, the most important but surely least significant. Mark Prior and Kerry Wood are starting this season OFF the DL! Now that I've said this, one of the two will be ON the DL shortly. maybe both...:(

Papelbon looks great. If he stays healthy, I expect good things from him.

Dice-K also looked decent, although that was against Boston College. Let's see how he does at the MLB level.

And Beckett has been impressive so far - I think he's going to come back in a big way this year.

I think the Red Sox rotation is looking very good for this year, although I thought the same thing last year, too.

The Red Sox rotation has the potential to be amazing. If Beckett improves and Dice-K is close to good as advertised, and if Papelbon makes the transition back to starter and if Schilling is Schilling, wow, that'll be hard to beat. Here's hoping none of that comes to pass. :)

Phil, for whatever reason, and this will sound insane, I think Prior will leave his health issues behind him, I really do. Wood, to me, will always be injuring himself. For your sake, I hope both stay healthy and that the Cubs contend.

No spoken words said:
The Red Sox rotation has the potential to be amazing. If Beckett improves and Dice-K is close to good as advertised, and if Papelbon makes the transition back to starter and if Schilling is Schilling, wow, that'll be hard to beat. Here's hoping none of that comes to pass. :)

Anything to make you Yankee fans miserable. :wink:

No spoken words said:
Phil, for whatever reason, and this will sound insane, I think Prior will leave his health issues behind him, I really do. Wood, to me, will always be injuring himself. For your sake, I hope both stay healthy and that the Cubs contend.

As the saying goes for every true Cubs fans each season. "This is the year!"

I'm interested in what is done with Wood this year. I know he's a reliever and all. But how will they use him and how will he do? You know? He could be one heck of a reliever in my opinion.

AL East- Red Sox
AL Central - White Sox
AL West - Anaheim
AL Wildcard - Yankees

NL East - Mets
NL Central - Brewers
NL West - Dodgers
NL Wildcard - Phillies

AL Champ - Red Sox
NL Champ - Mets

WS Winner - Who cares? :) 1986 was a miserable WS for me, was never clear on who to root for or against, and would prefer not to relive that, but, that's how I see it going down. If forced to choose, I go with the Sox.

I'll predict the Yanks versus the Mets in the World Series. I don't see the BoSox winning the AL East. Sorry, but once again, the Yanks look strong.

Indians in the World Series? Headache I always knew you were a funny guy. The second funniest is the Blue Jays in the East.

Hewson, I think every Yankee-hater predicts that every year. Sadly, it never comes true for them. Let's see, I think this will be the 13th straight season that the Yankees make it to the playoffs.

MrPryck2U said:
Indians in the World Series? Headache I always knew you were a funny guy. The second funniest is the Blue Jays in the East.

how many games did toronto win last year? oh yea... 87, second place in the east. holliday's the best pitcher in the division, and they added a huge bat in the middle with thomas.

cleveland was the sexy pick last year, had a rash of injuries early and started out like shit... rallied to finish a few games below .500. longshot? maybe... but did anyone outside of 8 mile think detroit was going to the world series? no. my only problem with picking cleveland is that steve phillps picked them as his "dark horse" world series team, and i try not to do anything that steve phillips does.

the yankees will do one of two things this year... and both of them hinge on a-rizzie.

a) a-rod removes the tampon from his ass, wins the mvp, puts up numbers in the playoffs and roll to the world series.

b) a-rod self combusts and the team falls apart amid constant bickering... joe torre gets canned in early august.

i'm gonna go for choice B... feel free to go with choice A, but unless a-rod fixes his issues, the yankees won't win a world series with him on the team. he's too big an issue.

i softened on my yankee hating after attending school in new england and realizing that red sox fans may be bigger douche bags... but after listening to months of yankee fans piss on bernie williams and mariano rivera, and complain about joe torre 'cause he hasn't won a championship since :gasp: 2000, my yankee hatred has peaked up a few significant notches.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

how many games did toronto win last year? oh yea... 87, second place in the east. holliday's the best pitcher in the division, and they added a huge bat in the middle with thomas.

cleveland was the sexy pick last year, had a rash of injuries early and started out like shit... rallied to finish a few games below .500. longshot? maybe... but did anyone outside of 8 mile think detroit was going to the world series? no. my only problem with picking cleveland is that steve phillps picked them as his "dark horse" world series team, and i try not to do anything that steve phillips does.

the yankees will do one of two things this year... and both of them hinge on a-rizzie.

a) a-rod removes the tampon from his ass, wins the mvp, puts up numbers in the playoffs and roll to the world series.

b) a-rod self combusts and the team falls apart amid constant bickering... joe torre gets canned in early august.

i'm gonna go for choice B... feel free to go with choice A, but unless a-rod fixes his issues, the yankees won't win a world series with him on the team. he's too big an issue.

i softened on my yankee hating after attending school in new england and realizing that red sox fans may be bigger douche bags... but after listening to months of yankee fans piss on bernie williams and mariano rivera, and complain about joe torre 'cause he hasn't won a championship since :gasp: 2000, my yankee hatred has peaked up a few significant notches.

I'd like to punch any Yankee fan that pisses on Williams or Rivera in the face. To be honest, none of my friends that are Yankee fans are ripping on either, though.

Halladay is great, but he's pretty injury prone. That being said, I can't argue against a Toronto prediction, because I see it as plausible. Don't know why the Yankees would ever implode, though, does not seem likely. They might not reach the playoffs, but, they're not going to implode.

If the Yanks are 10 games behind the Red Sox and 6 behind Toronto around the All Star break (not likely, but just say), then implode might be an understatement.
Between Calzone Lover and the NY media circus, it would be beyond crazy.
One can only dream.

Maybe I'm just too biased, but I cannot envision an implosion. I'm sure I might be wrong, though.

I'm trying to think about it objectively, and you are right, if they are trailing badly come the All-Star break, yes, it will be a circus and then some. They just seem too veteran-laden, too experienced, etc, to simply implode. We'll see.

Also, I'll just add that it is hard for me to actually accept that Toronto has a better team than the Yanks, the excellence of Hallady aside. The Jays are a trendy pick this year, but, I am unconvinced. Maybe if Halladay AND Burnett pitch a whole season.

I wish A-Rod would just go away. Go to the Cubs or something. Just go.

Once again, you guys are all making me laugh. Don't you all realize every year in the Bronx is a circus? The great thing about the Yanks is that they don't really panic. Every year all the Yankee-haters are hoping/praying that they implode. Granted, the Yanks don't make it to the World Series every year, but they do make it to the playoffs every year. I don't really believe it's too wacky to predict that, once again, for the 13th straight season, they'll make the playoffs. Also, much to the chagrin of Yankee-haters, Joe Torre WON'T be fired by August. I'm glad Bernie didn't join the Yanks this Spring. I'd rather remember Bernie leaving on a high note than being cut in Spring training. This year, there's just no room for Bernie. As for Mo Rivera, I don't think he should've said anything about his contract exstention with the Yanks. Everyone knows the Yanks wait until after the season to evaluate their players. Mo should know this by now. What happens if Mo's arm gives him problems and he breaks down again? You think teams are going to spend alot of money on a guy with questionable health who's in his late 30's? Maybe, but it would be a foolish move. Anyway, it all becomes moot if Mo stays healthy and has another solid year. I don't see Mo playing for any other team accept the Yanks.

Now, on to some other teams. The BoSox, once again, will be the biggest threat to the Yanks. I really don't see the Jays in the playoff picture. Yes, they'll have a competitive team, but I don't think they'll contend at the end. As a matter of fact, I think Jays' manager, John Gibbons is the man on the hot seat. He had a number of problems with his players last year and as a result, his team fell out of contention.
Over in the AL Central, I see the Tigers, ChiSox, Twins and Indians all contending for a playoff spot.
Over in the AL West, the Angels and the A's are the teams to beat, but any team in that division could be in the mix.

The Yankees have two things going against them this year:

1. They still have A-Rod
2. The starting rotation is suspect.

Wang is their best pitcher, but after that, who knows? Mussina and Pettite are not what they once were. Pavano is a wimp who seems to be despised by much of the team. And Jeter apparently can't stand A-Rod, either, and for good reason.

Can they work things out and still win? Of course. Can they also be a massive trainwreck waiting to happen? Of course.

A-Rod won the MVP just 2 seasons ago

I don't really see having him on the team as being such a detriment, even if a couple of the players dont like him

Jeter NEVER said he couldn't stand A-rod. He just said (and so did A-rod)that they are just not close friends anymore. Last time I checked, you don't have to be buddies with your teammates to win a championship. See the A's of the early 70's and the Yanks of the late 70's for examples of this. A-rod and Jeter still root for each other. This Jeter/A-rod thing is a non-issue. As for Pavano, it looks like the Yanks are just trying to light a fire under the guy. Wouldn't you be pissed at Pavano's attitude over the last few seasons too? This is New York baby! Pressure to win comes with putting on the pinstripes. If you don't want that pressure, don't sign with Yanks.

Chizip said:
A-Rod won the MVP just 2 seasons ago

I don't really see having him on the team as being such a detriment, even if a couple of the players dont like him

You need to take a closer look, then.

Phanan, agreed to a point about the Yankee rotation, but, you can say that about any rotation. For the Sox, what if Dice-K is the next Irabu. What if Papelbon's arm responds poorly to a return to the rotation. What if Schilling's age catches up with him this year. What if Beckett regresses, or, simply pitches the same as last year. I know he won a lot of games, but that was by virtue of run support; his ERA was bad. Blue Jays have question marks in their rotation. So does every contender with the possible exception of the Dodgers, who seem to have an abundance of arms.

MrPryck2U said:
This Jeter/A-rod thing is a non-issue.

I disagree. They sugarcoated it for the media, but I just think they truly dislike each other now.

MrPryck2U said:
As for Pavano, it looks like the Yanks are just trying to light a fire under the guy. Wouldn't you be pissed at Pavano's attitude over the last few seasons too? This is New York baby! Pressure to win comes with putting on the pinstripes. If you don't want that pressure, don't sign with Yanks.

Can't argue with that. I don't see a good outlook for him this year, though.

phanan said:
Definitely true. But on paper, you have to admit the Sox rotation appears to have the upper hand.

If every single pitcher on the Yanks and Sox pitches to their potential, then, yes, the Sox have the upper hand, I agree.

I think we have the better bullpen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom