The MLB '09 Thread: Predictions, Opening Day and all that crap.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since when does John Lackey refer to himself in the third person? Even for John Lackey, that's pretentious.

I thought the Mariner's were going undefeated this year since they were only a hit or two away last from being a juggernaut.

True, but maybe that means that King Felix, Bedard and Co will be pitching 9 innings every start thus eliminating the need for Putz

n775510933_2449731_254387.jpg

citi field is amazing.

it was a very strange experience, to be in what seems to be a foreign stadium watching your home team, but i certainly will be able to get used to it very quickly.

our seats were in dead centerfield, next to the big shiny new apple, which was never used 'cause no homeruns were hit, and, well, that like it'll be a common theme. i know that citi field was under construction well before the mets got santana but it certainly looks like it could be called the house that Johan built, because left field at citi is going to be where fly balls go to die. the dimensions are very deep, and the wall is fairly high. there will be no cheap homeruns for right handed hitters at citi field, except for perhaps right down the line. fernando tatis hit one last night that would have been a sure homer at shea that just died on the warning track right in front of our seats in dead center... i saw it on one of the many HD tv's ringing the stadium, 'cause i was on the beer line. go figure :hi5:

this park looks like it was built with pitcing and speed in mind. jose reyes could have a monster season as far as triples go with all the various angles in the outfield. there's less foul territory on both sides... twice a ball shot over first base for what should have been just a single, but because the stands were so close to the foul line, the ball bounced off the padding and ricocheted away from the fielder, turning a single into a double. it'll take some time getting used to it but it should be a sure home field advantage, fielding wise.

there are full bars on every level... some enclosed, some just out in the open. those were very handy durring the rain delay. and when i say full bar i mean full bar... you want a shot of jameson, they got it for ya. shots at a baseball game... things could get ugly lol.

beer is cheaper than it was at shea. yes, that is right... beer has gone down in price. i guess all that tax payer money went to some good. the urinals are all waterless and very strange. and the gates all now have self serving turnstiles with the scanners buit into them, so that you don't have to give your ticket to some dude anymore you just scan it yourself. of course, the one i was at stopped working just as we got up to it. i suppose this is why they do test runs like this, to get the bugs out.

the coolest areas in the stadium were the beer garden/shake shack area in dead centerfield behind the scoreboard, the bridge by the bullpens, and the pepsi porch... the overhang in right field that literally hand over fair territory.

the jacke robinson rotunda is an impressive structure, but i still don't like the whole idea that i walk into the mets stadium and the first image i see is of a dodger. it makes no sense to me. jackie robinson should have a monument built in his name somewhere in new york city, say oh i dunno.. brooklyn. not at the home of the mets... he never played for the mets. frankly that's my only complaint about citi field, and it's a mild one at that. oh, and the back of the pepsi porch gives you a lovely view of willets point, sewerless unpaved roads, hubcaps and scrap metal galore. they can't tear that place apart fast enough. once they redo that entire area the place will really look breathtaking. for now it just looks like you're in a beautiful structure in the middle of mogadishu.

all around the stadium has breathtaking sightlines, wide asiles, wide seats, great concessions, not overly cheesey (shocking considering it's the mets), charm and class.

the wilpon's said they wanted to take the best features from the new stadiums around baseball and from classic ballparks of the past and encorperate them into citi field... they accomplished that goal wonderfuly.

they took jacobs field's left field, citizens bank's bullpens, the bridges from pnc, the overhang of tiger stadium, the community atmosphere of the warehouse area at camden yards, and of course the front of ebbits field... but they were able to do it all in a way that doesn't look out of place or awkward.

:up::up: can't wait to go back.

Looks very nice. Say what you want about new football stadiums, but most new baseball parks have had good results, I think. I love Citizens Bank Park: it's modern, has great views, but still has a Philly atmosphere.

yeah, I personally think that pretty much all the new parks that have been built in the last 15 or so years are stunning. I think it started with Camden Yards. Just some great stuff out there. So I guess that was 17 years ago...Google tells me Camden was built in 1992.

Good job MLB for making awesome places for people to go watch baseball in. :up:

yea camden got the ball rolling... i believe the last of the cookie cutter stadiums was SkyDome/Rogers Centre... then the orioles came around and changed the game, certainly for the better.

it's amazing how skydome was hailed as the "stadium of the future" when it came out, and now it seems incredibly obsolete as all these new stadiums with their retro look are built.

i will have to find time to head over to the new yankee stadium... it looks, well, like a cheesey recreation fo the old stadium on TV... but i'm sure there is a different feel live and in person.

yea camden got the ball rolling... i believe the last of the cookie cutter stadiums was SkyDome/Rogers Centre... then the orioles came around and changed the game, certainly for the better.

it's amazing how skydome was hailed as the "stadium of the future" when it came out, and now it seems incredibly obsolete as all these new stadiums with their retro look are built.

i will have to find time to head over to the new yankee stadium... it looks, well, like a cheesey recreation fo the old stadium on TV... but i'm sure there is a different feel live and in person.

Well, then there was Tropicana Field, so ... yeah. Maybe not a "cookie cutter," more like ... an abomination.

Good CitiField report, Headache! :up:

Not sure if I'll get to either of the new stadiums this year. U2 was more of a priority.

Can't wait until Monday! :hyper: Hopefully the weather holds up in Baltimore and Cincy.

I am well aware that it's one game. I'm not giving up on the season because they lost one game by 4-1. It was just a sort of letdown. Nothing more, nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom