The Mars Volta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burns

The Fly
Just looking for peoples opinions of them. I got Frances the Mute last week and am very impressed (if slightly confused, damn tracklisting). Is the first album just as good?

I am also set to see them on Wednesday at Brixton Academy in London if i want to, though it would be interesting to see how they would adapt a linear story into a setlist, unless they play the album in it's entirety

Reviews have really been at the opposite ends of the spectrum for this album. People either love it, or think it's complete garbage.

I've yet to be won over by them, myself. I dont dislike them, I just prefer anything done by At the Drive In or Sparta to these guys.

I quite enjoy them.

But then again I have a penchant for tolerating high-pitched and/or nasal vocalists.

:sexywink:

~geddy up

cujo said:

But then again I have a penchant for tolerating high-pitched and/or nasal vocalists.

:sexywink:

~geddy up

What about the voice of Geddy Lee
How did it get so high
I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy
"I know him and he does"
Well you're my fact checking cuz

~Pavement - 'Stereo'

cedric's voice is an acquire taste- but nowhere near the awfulness that is the noise that comes from geddy lee.

as for the band there are incredible. i love frances the mute- but it certainly takes an investment to really get into it. cassandra gemini is one of the most incredible songs i have heard in a long time. i wish they would release an edited version of miranda... to the radio that is an incredible song.

the first album is a little more accessible than frances the mute. still incredible though, and if you like frances you will probably like it.

i was a huge at the drive-in fan and hated to see them break up, but now think it was a good thing with the release of this album.

as for sparta their first album had some good songs, but this last one is complete garbage there are about 3 songs worth listening to.

Go see mars volta in concert if you can. these guys are set the bar for intensity- the are completely insane. incredible musician who go absolutely nuts for an hour and half .

jphelmet said:
as for sparta their first album had some good songs, but this last one is complete garbage there are about 3 songs worth listening to.

Well, if we're going to be completely biased and act like our own opinions are fact, check out this sweet review of of the Mars Volta album. Yeah, they do their reviews on a 10 point scale....:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/m/mars-volta/frances-the-mute.shtml

Feel free to compare that to their review of the most recent Sparta album...:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/s/sparta/porcelain.shtml

u2popmofo said:

Well, if we're going to be completely biased and act like our own opinions are fact, check out this sweet review of of the Mars Volta album. Yeah, they do their reviews on a 10 point scale....:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/m/mars-volta/frances-the-mute.shtml

Feel free to compare that to their review of the most recent Sparta album...:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/s/sparta/porcelain.shtml

that solidfies my point, anyone who thinks the new sparta album is a7.6 out of 10, then frances the mute is going to be miles over their head.

while we are giving random reviews that are completely unbiased...

check out these from rolling stone
mars volta (4 out of 5 stars):
http://www.rollingstone.com/artist/_/id/37340
sparta (2 out of 5 stars):
http://www.rollingstone.com/artist/_/id/40505/sparta

i can look up lots of reviews that rip the new sparta album. most everything i have read has been pretty bad reviews.

i said before i like at the drive-in, and liked the first ep and most of the first ablum from sparta. i really tried to like the new album- its just simply a band recycling, and it is very disappointing.

mars volta on the other hand are going to do what they want and try new things- which will divide people. i personally really like the direction they took. the new album takes a great deal of patience to listen to at first- it really is the antithesis of the sparta album. thats probably why i like frances the mute and think the sparta album is garbage and vice versa for you.

Last edited:
Rollingstone is all about the music. :up:

What rating did Seventeen magazine give it? :wink:

I thought I was pretty clear on this......but my point was: please dont make an accusation that something is "complete garbage" just because you personally dont care for it. Personal opinions are never facts.

Anyways, like I said before, I have nothing against Mars Volta. I dont think they're bad at all, and I completely understand why some like them. At the same time, they've done nothing for me and have yet to really win me over. I've heard some songs of theirs that I've liked, but nothing has made me say, "hey, this is good stuff" yet. I'm not ruling them out, though. :up:

Last edited:
i agree with you- about rolling stone except david fricke wrote the review for mars volta- so that carries some weight with me.

'complete garbage' is to me- and that is, as i said, coming from someone who would say i am a sparta fan. i was just very looking forward to that album and was so disappointed.

Understandable, I get where you're coming from. :up:

Have you seen Sparta live? I think that is how they won me over, enjoyable live show. :up:

You're right, Rollingstone can actually write some good stuff up from time to time. It's too bad that they've become so much like.....MTV.... It seems that where they've gone has helped them become popular, so they dont dare go back to what they once were....if that makes any sense.

i have seen sparta - a couple of times, but both times before the new album. i thought they were very good live, and would still see them again. i think mars volta, while somewhat unfocused, are closer to the intensity of at the drive-in. atdi was one of my favorite bands and their live show was incredible- i have yet to see anything as impressive from sparta or mv.

Back
Top Bottom