The Manic Street Preachers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to like them alot, post 1998. 'A Design For Life' was an absolute anthem at the time that I started paying attention to the music around me.
I'm not such a fan these days. The new material just doesn't do it for me, but I still listen to the older stuff - The Holy Bible, etc. I can't stand Nicky Wire either, so that doesn't help.

Hi,
Just gotta say, I saw the Manics in Southampton last night, they were amazing. Anyone who's seeing them on this tour will love it, we got 'Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedaysit'sworldwouldfallapart' for the first time ever which was great. Also a brand new song 'Firefight' which James wrote the lyrics to.
Really, really impressive show.

Unfortunately Nicky didn't come out in a skirt in the second half :|
But definitely was a great set, some real suprises there and the classics were as good as ever.

cujo said:
I recently purchased Lifeblood. Thank you yertle for wearing this band on your sleeve. Even on first impression, the album has a cohesiveness that is just plain refreshing.

*post successfully made through use of the band index.

:sexywink:

We're all proud of you, for multiple reasons. :up:

cujo: :up:

that's one heck of a setlist in southampton, by the way. 'the girl who wanted to be god'? 'ifwhiteamerica...'? '4st 7lb'? wow.

apparently bbc radio wales are streaming the cardiff concert from january online. hmm.

oh, and as for what nicky wire said about michael stipe, it's completely unforgiveable, but i don't think he meant it. still a very, very stupid thing to say, but i think he meant no malice.

yertle-the-turtle said:

apparently bbc radio wales are streaming the cardiff concert from january online. hmm.

oh, and as for what nicky wire said about michael stipe, it's completely unforgiveable, but i don't think he meant it. still a very, very stupid thing to say, but i think he meant no malice.

Last time I checked they were streaming the video for the same Tsunami relief concert, as well.

and as for nicky wire, he has calmed down a bit recently.

saw the tonight in Leeds Uni, probably one of the best gigs I've ever been too. The buzz in in me. WE DON'T TALK ABOUT LOVE, WE ONLY WANT TO GET DRUNK.

we got ifwhiteamerica... and Achives of Pain but I think they've mianly gone back to staples, which is fair enough as I neve rget tired of hearing them. They also snippeted Paradise City at the start of Motown Junk.
I guess after the two London shows this could be the end. James said "see you in two years" but I'm not so sure. They'll be going out/taking a sabatical at the top though, James' voice is bette than ever and the addition of Guy Massey for the last couple of tours has proved excellent as I'm no big fan of keyboards. Never heard Masses Against The Classes done so well before and I was closer than I've ever been at a Manics gig too, right in front of the left amp stack.
He may have said and done a few stupid thigns but I've got to love Nicky Wire. The lack of a self conscienceis great, leopard-skin coats and feather boas (I was there in my pink one) all the way baby! :drool:

Sounds like it was a great show, RA-D. Consider me jealous. :up:

By the way, this thread rules.

Last edited:
Celia you went to the Tuesday night gig then? I went on Monday but couldn't make Tues :sad: This tour's been amazing, I'm loving the setlists, we got some real treats. Would have loved to hear Revol though, that must have rocked.
Did they play YES? Cos my friend said they didn't but foreverdelayed.net says they did!

yertle-the-turtle said:

edit: what a crappy format though

Seriously. I guess you can go into the download and find the wma of the songs though. Since they're protected, it wont let you convert them with iTunes either... If someone finds a way to normalificate these (or just finds a normal copy of them), please let me know.

When did these songs originate? Teach us, Yertle.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:

When did these songs originate? Teach us, Yertle.

These are just 3 new songs that are not on any album that are, if you like, a parting gift before their sabbatical/split.

I have the songs in mp3, i'll find a way to upload them tomorrow. The way to do it, if your impatient, is to burn the songs to a blank CD and then import them in iTunes.

Talking:
So here's a little Manics mix I made for joyfulgirl because she's had trouble finding any of their albums here in the States. I haven't given it to her yet, but I don't think seeing the titles of songs she doesn't know will do any harm. :wink:

Disclaimer:
I regret to say that my catalogue of Manics material is extremely lacking in the early years of the band and b-sides/rarities departments. There may be some glaring omissions, but I did the best I could with what I've got. Their albums have been hard to find for me too.

Tracklisting:
01. 1985
02. A Design for Life
03. Elvis Impersonator Blackpool Pier
04. Everything Must Go
05. Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart
06. Kevin Carter
07. Tsunami
08. Door to the River
09. There by the Grace of God
10. Empty Souls
11. Found That Soul
12. Of Walking Abortion
13. Miss Europa Disco Dancer
14. 4st 7lb
15. Ocean Spray
16. Suicide Is Painless (Theme from M.A.S.H.)
17. The Masses Against the Classes
18. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next (JDB solo, acoustic)
19. The Everlasting

Nice mix. Interesting transitions though; Of Walking Abortion --> Miss Europa? Unreal!

Also wanted to ask what everyone makes of Simon Price's 'Everything'. I read it about two years ago at the library and I liked it a lot.

HeartlandGirl said:

So here's a little Manics mix I made for joyfulgirl because she's had trouble finding any of their albums here in the States. I haven't given it to her yet, but I don't think seeing the titles of songs she doesn't know will do any harm. :wink:

Glad this thread was boosted; I hadn't seen it until now. :hyper:

Is that a forum? Says I have to log in.

So yeah, I listened to 'Generation Terrorist' for the second time yesterday and 'This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours' for the first time today. Talk about 2 drastically different albums by the same artist. It was almost off putting.

It is. I forgot all about the log-in bit. Well here are the links, they expire in a few days. James at BBC's 6Music sessions, him and his acoustic guitar.

Bright Eyes - http://s27. .com/d.aspx?id=0BK2Y1GRLA4M73SP53V03REY5B
I Live To Fall Asleep - http://s27. .com/d.aspx?id=2P9LH2AVYQ2MO2R7Y6CIRQGV9B
Red Sleeping Beauty - http://s27. .com/d.aspx?id=1R39E0QEFC6J31BZQL29FLNSXS
Kevin Carter - http://s27. .com/d.aspx?id=3NUEV487HGVWX1GDZRJG79QOJ7
The Endless Plane Of Fortune - http://s27. .com/d.aspx?id=1UTJGKMV7KVSE2GZUJOE0BF5IT
This Is Yesterday - http://s27. .com/d.aspx?id=3ICS3B681YYWB326MXXXAE57B0
Motown Junk - http://s27. .com/d.aspx?id=2FX86LYV9LC7O16409HGS6U6D5

You know what to quote.

Actually, I dont know what to quote. Could you email me the link?

u2popmofo
@
yahoo and such.

Okay, I listened to every one of those. :up: Thanks, yertle. I can't wait to get HG's mix. :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom