"The Man Who" appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
The Man Who is a classic album.

Only discovered this gem earlier this year. Never used to go on Travis much. Loved Sing, but I could never really apreciate Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

But when I heard WDIAROM live, and when I listened to it as part of the classic album that is The Man Who, I've grown to appreciate and adore Travis' biggest hit single.

That said, it's not even the best song on the album. "Writing To Reach You" is a contender, it's Wonderwall part 2, and just as, if not more, enchanting. Very eay-to-relate yrics, Frannie's voice is mesmerising, yet I still have immense difficulty in understanding the concept behind the video.

"Driftwood" is just downright sweet. Everyone knows it, and you've gotta love Travis' knack for heightening the excitement with those loud guitar instrumental middle-8s they wedge in their tunes. Beneath those sweet chorus' and cruisey verses, all they wanna do is rock....

"The Fear" flows on so nicely after WTRY (again, amazing lyrics), and "As You Are" is the quintessential post-Bends tune. "Last Laugh of the Laughter", "She's So Strange" and "Turn" are all well exciting, yet all very different songs when taken individually.

It's also one of the few albums where the hidden track, the angry "Blue Flashing Light", feels like a part of the album proper (unlike Coldplay's "Til Kingdom Come" which just seems chucked on the end of the album without any reason).

This is just a killer album. An unlikely classic, which is surprisingly brilliantly cohesive given how there is such a stark contrast between the moods of each of the songs.

A triumph in art, a beauty. Appreciate it folks.....

:yes:

Love this album, it's very good.

I think "As You Are" is my favorite, though "Writing To Reach You" does kick some serious ass! I also love the "Blue Flashing Light" that's the hidden track.

I think it's "Luv" . . . . I always thought Fran sounded like Lennon when he sang that one. In fact the first time I heard it, my head turned because at one point I thought it was John Lennon (maybe a sample or something).

Really good album, I just wish there'd been maybe 1 or 2 more rockers. :shrug:

But still . . . :up:

The whole album is a major change of direction when you consider some of the rockers on ' 97's Good Feeling (Midsummer Night's Dreamin, Happy, U16 girls, Good Day To Die)...but they execute this change of direction perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom