The Major League Baseball season is 162 games long.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
its been one game and the boston media is already on renterias ass

Renteria Picks Up Where He Left Off

NEW YORK -- Edgar Renteria, as all of New England knows, made the last out of the 2004 season, grounding back to Keith Foulke and into baseball history.

Renteria was with the Cardinals then, part of the sudden sweep that finished what Boston's apocalyptic comeback against the Yankees had started.

The Red Sox-Yankees rivalry was renewed at Yankee Stadium Sunday night in the season opener, and Renteria was in the middle of it, having arrived in Boston via free agency to replace the popular Orlando Cabrera at shortstop.

Renteria came advertised as everything Cabrera was, only a little bit better. But Renteria's debut Sunday probably had Red Sox fans longing for that October night in St. Louis, when his outs were a welcome sight.

Renteria was no match for Randy Johnson and the Yankees, going 0-for-4 with three groundouts and a strikeout in a 9-2 loss. Not even Renteria's Gold Glove credentials could help him. Renteria couldn't handle a Jorge Posada grounder that extended a three-run third inning against David Wells, and he nearly committed a throwing error on Tony Womack's infield hit in the seventh.

After the game, Renteria ducked out of the clubhouse without speaking to the media.

"That guy has a World Series under his belt, he's a veteran," Kevin Millar said. "Edgar's fine."

Renteria was Johnson's first strikeout victim as the second batter of the season. In the third, Johnny Damon reached on an error to lead off, but Renteria erased him, grounding into a 5-4-3 double play. Trailing 4-1 in the fifth, Renteria left Mark Bellhorn at second, grounding out to shortstop to end the inning.

Renteria's final at-bat summed up his evening. He smacked a grounder hard toward third base, but Alex Rodriguez made a diving stab and easily threw him out.

After taking a 1-0 lead in the second, the Red Sox gave up nine unanswered runs. The Red Sox were 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position and allowed runs on a bases-loaded balk by Wells in the third inning and a bases-loaded dribbler through reliever John Halama's legs in a three-run eighth.

"I don't know, it could be worse," Damon said. "We got the first game under our belt. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out as well as we planned. But we got Edgar introduced to the rivalry. Hopefully, next time we'll be better. "

hehehe

sorry i shouldnt take pleasure in this, but we'll see how much renteria cherishes the extra "respect" boston gave him by giving him 1 million more when he finds out boston isnt the basbeall lovefest for players that st louis is

Don't remind me; I'm still bitter about the Expos leaving. The Habs bought Youppi!, apparently, so that damn orange fuzzball will probably be around to harrass me at sporting events for the rest of my life. Youppi! will have more lives than a cat, and even if the NHL folds and I end up back in RI, he'll probably be the new PawSox mascot or something. Youppi! is a gadfly, I swear to god. And why would someone step up to save Youppi! but not the team??

The stupid Gazette is covering the Nationals and I don't care. I hope they suck and that the crowd in Washington riots regularly. Muahaha!

Think the Mutts could actually go 0-162?

Nah, there'll probably be a rainout in there somewhere that they won't bother to make up.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom