The Mailman's Route Is Over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
It has been reported today that Karl "The Mailman" Malone, the #2 total points scorer in NBA history, has decided, FINALLY, to retire. He will hold a press conference at the Delta Center in Salt Lake City, where he played all but one of his 19 seasons, on Sunday to announce this decision.

Malone played 18 seasons for the Utah Jazz, forming with point guard and future hall-of-famer John Stockten, one of the greatest duo tandems in NBA history, although for my money, MJ&Pippen and Kareem&Magic were better. Malone won the league MVP in 1997 and 1999, and the Jazz were perrenial playoff&title contenders for a long time, even making it to the finals in 1997 and 1998. Both times, however, they lost in six games to His Royal Airness and the six time world champion Chicago Bulls - the team of the 90s and one of the greatest dyansties in league history. I argue that only the Russell-led Celtics of the 60s were better.

Stockten retired after the 2002-03 season, and Malone, in the twilight of his career, ditched the Jazz in a dishonorable move, to join the Lakers. The intent was to ride on Shaq&Kobe's backs to the one thing that had eluded him his entire career: An NBA title. That didn't work, as the Lakers were schooled by the 2004 NBA Champion Detroit Pistons in the finals. The Lakers fell apart that offseason, and Malone opted out of his contract. For the past 6-8 months, Malone has been recovering from a knee injury and deciding whether to keep playing or not. Recently, he said he would either sign with the San Antonio Spurs - arguably the best team in basketball at the moment - to try to get a ring one last time, or retire. Reports early today said he would in fact sign with the Spurs in the next week. But shortly thereafter, the reports changed to saying he would announce his retirement on Sunday.

I, for one, am glad. Malone was one of the dirtiest players in NBA history. He threw countless elbows and did countless other things of the like. And I lost a ton of respect for him when he tried to ride the Lakers to a title. Malone was a great player. He had countless opportunities to win titles throughout the 90s. Were it not for the Chicago Bulls, he probably would have won one, if not two. But Patrick Ewing, Reggie Miller, Charles Barkley, and a host of players of that era could say the same, and you didn't see them trying to ride other young stars to a title later on. Miller has even stuck with the same team the whole time. I hated Miller at one time, but for that fact I have respect for him.

Goodbye, Malone. I'm glad you didn't take Kareem's #1 scoring spot. He is much more deserving than you.

And yes, I lost respect for Payton too when he signed with the Lakers.

diamond said:
charles barkley?

did he ever try and get a ring by hop scotching to different teams?

db9

No. He had his best chances with the Suns. He played with the Rockets at the end of his career, but I honeslty don't think he was trying to ride anyone to a ring. If they had won a title he would have been an intregal part of it.

but he also played for philly before the suns, and he said houston was a contender the yr before he played for them.

so didnt he kinda whore himself out?

db9

diamond said:
but he also played for philly before the suns, and he said houston was a contender the yr before he played for them.

so didnt he kinda whore himself out?

db9

He was traded to the Suns from Philly...they weren't even good before he got there.

namkcuR said:

He was traded to the Suns from Philly...they weren't even good before he got there.
i disagree.
houston rockets were thought to be contenders that year at the beginning of the season:yes:

namkcuR you should really check your facts before posting...

Charles Barkley demanded a trade from Philly to Phoenix in the summer of 1992. Let me list the results of Fa-hooo-nix's 4 seasons prior to the arival of Sir Charles...

1988-89... 55 wins, Western Conference Finalists
1989-90... 54 wins, Western Conference Finalists
1990-91... 55 wins, lost in 1st Round
1991-92... 53 wins, lost in the 2nd Round to Portland (being eliminated in one of the greatest playoff games of all time... losing to portland 153-151 in OT)

So this is a team that had won 50+ games 4 straight seasons, including two trips to the Western Conference Finals. Phoenix was a great team before Barkley got there. Barkley's presence made them even better, pushing them into the NBA Finals, where they would lose in 6 to the Bulls (the john paxson series).

And as for Houston... The Rockets still had Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler, and were just a year removed from back to back championships when Barkley arrived.

So yea... Chuck very much rode on the coat-tails for a chance to win a championship... and he actually did it twice.\

Patrick Ewing, my favorite player of all time, demanded a trade to Seattle from the Knicks late in his career. He ended up going to Orlando, attempting to ride Tracy McGrady to a ring. It was too late for Pat, however... he was already washed up by the time he arrived.

And on to the last point... yes, Malone could be known as a "dirty player" from time to time. But he wasn't even considered the dirtiest player on his team... that title went squarely to John Stockton. And yes... I remember the elbow Malone dropped on Isiah Thomas' head... let me feel sorry for Isiah and his Pistons, perhaps the dirtiest team to ever play the game. And there was the incident in his last season where he clipped Steve Nash in the face. :shrug: Not the first, not the last. Dikembe Mutumbo is notorious for hitting people in the face with elbows. He did it to LeBron James just recently. Mutumbo is also one of the most charitable people in all of professional sports. So just because he tosses a few elbows here and there doesn't make him a bad person. And yea... I think big chuck had a few shady incidents in his own right... so even though I love him, let's not saint him while ostracizing Malone.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm not knockin' either stockton or malone... to me they weren't dirty, they were just playing the game.

so you're saying stockton and malone weren't dirty? Everytime it was brought up on nba shows, those two names would always come up. lol, i was drinking with Popeye Jones one time at a club and I asked him that very question, and he told me Malone was (both power fwds).

I respect both players though and if they got away with it, more power to them.

see now i know you're lying about that story, 'cause as we all know, when popeye jones isn't playing, he's locked away in the basement of the goonie house.

birth_popeye.jpg

malone and stockton never undercut people... they never pushed people from behind while they're in the air... yea, some elbows were thrown. some to the face that shouldn't have happened and were clearly on purpose. :shrug: anyone who's ever stepped foot on the court has been hit in the head with an elbow, and/or hit someone in the face with an elbow... be it on purpose or on accident. it happens, you move on.

what doesn't happen... and what is the cardinal sin for basketball players... is when people attempt to take out your legs by undercutting you... or when they push you from behind while you're in mid air. those are two things you never do... ever. those are the only two things that i'm fighting over on the court. people who do that are dirty.

i prefer to call stockton and malone "crafty" :wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
see now i know you're lying about that story, 'cause as we all know, when popeye jones isn't playing, he's locked away in the basement of the goonie house.

:laugh: that pic is the greatest

Back
Top Bottom