The LONG overdue MMA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jive Turkey

ONE love, blood, life
So U2popmofo mentioned this in another thread and I couldnt agree more. Where is all the MMA discussion???? Anyway, since UFC 99 was last weekend (bit of a snooze fest) and the Ultimate Fighter Finale is tonight, it seemed like a good time to start a thread.

So first up, what did everyone else think of UFC 99? As I said, I think it was somewhat lack luster. The main event was enjoyable, but I think Silva got robbed. Hes such an exciting fighter too and I'd like to see him win a couple for change. No disrespect to Franklin though. Both fighters seem like genuinely cool guys.
Looks like Cro Cop high tailed it out of the UFC after his first fight back and Dana White is pissed. Guess they made an agreement over the phone that Cro Cop went back on. I dont think thats guy is a good as he used to be anyway. Either that or he just cant fight in a cage. When was the last time we saw a quality head kick (that he wasnt on the receiving end of)?
Looking forward to the Ultimate Fighter Finale tonight. Its kind of disappointing how few guys from the show are actually fighting tonight though. Apart from the 4 fighting for the contracts, i think there are just 4 others. Its usually cool to see a few more fighting in a real show after following them for the season. For the show finals, I'd like to see James beat Demarques. Demarques just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. And for the lightweight fight, I dont really care who wins. I like them both, but I think Andre might have the advantage. Should be a good fight either way.
One other thing, I used to really like Bisping before this season, but he just came off like a total prick. I know he said he was doing it to get under the other team's skin, but still. Just seemed like a bit of a dick. Henderson on the other hand seemed like a really laid back nice guy. their fight should be entertaining during UFC 100 (i think thats when they fight) but I have a feeling Henderson is going to finish Bisping off pretty easily.

Oooh I forgot all about the Ultimate Fighter finale tonight :hyper: I haven't been paying close attention to it so I don't really know much about the fighters, but I'm always down to get drunk and watch large men kick the shit out of each other.

I didn't get a chance to see UFC 99 last weekend (I was stuck in a hotel bar in Toronto and really didn't know where I could go to watch it), but I hear I didn't miss much so I don't really mind. Going to be interested to see what kind of festivities they've got planned for UFC 100 though :hmm: I think GSP should be able to handle Thiago Alves pretty easily, but then again being Canadian I'm a little biased. :lol:

I think GSP should be able to handle Thiago Alves pretty easily, but then again being Canadian I'm a little biased. :lol:

I'm actually a little scared about this one. Alves is a beast. So is Georges, but hes the only fighter I get nervous for. When you're at the bar with a hundred other people and he wins, its so awesome though.

And if you're ever downtown Toronto during fight night, head over to the Loose Moose. Its on Front just west of University. Pints can be a little expensive, but they've got a tonne of screens and its a nice spot. No where else decent seems to show it

I know where you mean, I saw it on Sunday after the Jays game and thought it looked like a pretty decent pub. I'll check it out next time I'm in town.

Thanks for making the thread, Jive Turkey! I'll post much more later, but I just want to say that I'm psyched for the Ultimate Fighter finale. Should be starting in just a few mins now!

Great, the house I'm at is on Starchoice satellite, and I don't get Spike :grumpy:

ETA: It's on Sportsnet in 10 minutes :yippie:

Man, wasnt it insane?!?!?? I thought Guida was finished after the first 30 seconds. No idea how he held on for the whole fight. and that head kick! I've never been a fan or Sanchez; I think he's a bit of a pompous douche, but that was an awesome fight for both of them. I was happy with the winners of the Ultimate Fighter finals too. I really didnt expect James to handle Demarques so easily. Hes a much better fighter than I though. And good on Demarques for showing good sportsmanship after the fight

Sanchez and Guida both seemed completely insane, it was fun to watch just for that. It was pretty nasty how much blood Guida was getting all over Sanchez though, dude took a major beating.

Demarques got completely worked. I can't believe he was so completely picked apart, I'm sure Jeremy Horn is pretty damned embarrassed after that.

What did you think about the lightweight fight? I honestly was fairly shocked by the decision, I was expecting the other guy to win. It was definitely close, and was actually a really good fight, but I was not expecting them to choose him at all. :huh:

When I picked up UFC Unleashed (the game), Best Buy had a deal where they gave you a UFC DVD of your choice for free and a $10 Best Buy gift certificate. I picked up the UFC 92 DVD, and finally watched it over the weekend. 92 was quite entertaining: Kongo vs Al Turk, Rampage vs Wanderlei, Mir vs Noguiera, and Griffin vs Evans. Even though I pretty much knew who was going to win on all of them, it was still cool to finally see the fights.

Next season of Ultimate Fighter is going to be CRAZY. Rampage and Evans are the coaches and Kimbo Slice is going to be one of the fighters! Put all 3 of those egos on one show, and some crazy stuff is going to happen. After all the major crap Dana White has talked on Kimbo, I'm surprised he agreed to have him on. I guess he realizes it will get people to watch, and he probably wants to see him get his azz kicked by nobodies. It'll be interesting to watch.

Did you hear they announced Machida will be fighting Shogun?

A while back there was a thread that covered MMA and pro wrestling. Most of the posts were about pro wrestling, so when that thread maxed out its posts, a new one was created and called simply The Pro Wrestling Thread. I was wondering when someone would create a thread devoted to MMA. I watch UFC every once and a while, but I usually catch WEC on Versus. Last week they had a show on that just featured knockouts. I could watch those all night long. Good stuff.

Last week they had a show on that just featured knockouts. I could watch those all night long. Good stuff.

Yeah, Spike shows those "Ultimate Knockout" shows every once in a while. They actually debuted part 7 last night. They showed all 6 of the previous ones leading up to it, I was going to post that it was going to be on in here but forgot. 7 was pretty cool, it was all recent fights over the last year or so.

Next season of Ultimate Fighter is going to be CRAZY. Rampage and Evans are the coaches and Kimbo Slice is going to be one of the fighters! Put all 3 of those egos on one show, and some crazy stuff is going to happen. After all the major crap Dana White has talked on Kimbo, I'm surprised he agreed to have him on. I guess he realizes it will get people to watch, and he probably wants to see him get his azz kicked by nobodies. It'll be interesting to watch.

Oh man, I'm so stoked for next season. I was more surprised that Kimbo accepted the offer for TUF than Dana offering it to him. Dana had always said that the only way Kimbo would fight in the UFC was if he won The Ultimate Fighter. I'm curious to see what they do with him if, say, he only makes it to the semi finals or so. Will they still let him fight in smaller spike shows? Undercard fights for PPV shows? Get rid of him all together? I feel kinda bad for Kimbo though. He takes a lot of shit for 'not being a real mma fighter' and what not, but I respect the guy for stepping up and fighting guys who arent random chumps in a backyard. Its not his fault those goons at EliteXC decided to make him a main carder right out of the gate. If someone offered me that money, I'm sure I would've taken it too. I really hope he does well though. I wonder who'll pick him and what order he'll get picked. Its gonna be an interesting season...and have you seen the commercial for it? theres a scene with Rampage and Rashad standing in front of some giant who is head and shoulders out of the frame. Was that just an exaggeration because its an all heavyweight season or is that a real person???

Been meaning to post in here for a few days now. I watched a bunch of episodes of Unleashed I had saved on my DVR this last weekend. Watched a bunch of great old GSP and Anderson Silva fights. I can't believe how much Silva completely worked Rich Franklin, it seemed like nothing but the Thai clinch the entire fight. Brutal.

I can't remember if it was the Frank Trigg or Sean Sherk fight now, but GSP completely dominated the dude the entire fight. That was really entertaining to watch.

There's apparently a UFC magazine now, I saw it in the bookstore a few days ago. Said it was the premier issue. Ended up forgetting about it by the time I left so I didn't pick it up, not really sure what kind of articles were in it.

I'm excited for 100, I think I may actually do the pay per view, or at least try to get some friends and go watch it somewhere that's showing it. I watched some videos on Youtube a few weeks back of Lesnar working out (I think it was from training for his first UFC fight), that dude is a monster. I can't believe the weight he was putting up one day after a full day of training and cardio. Pretty mind blowing.

So whos super stoked for this weekend??? I watched the UFC 100 promo thing on Spike last night. I didnt think I could get anymore excited for this. Its going to be huge. U2popmofo, any predictions?
For the big three, mine are:

Mir vs Lesnar

This is a tough one to call. Mir is obviously a better fighter than Lesnar, but Lesnar is so huge. Herring was able to hang with him for 3 rounds, so i dont see how Mir wont be able to do the same. I'm gonna say Mir via submission in the 3rd round

GSP vs Alves

Another tough one. Alves seems like an animal, but I think GSP can handle him. I'd love to see GSP finish him off in the first round, but I dont think its going to happen. I'm gonna go with GSP by decision

Hendo vs Bisping

I really cant see Bisping beating Henderson in any fashion. I dont even think Bisping is a good as hes being made out to be. The only people he has dominated have been Ultimate Fighters who never really made it and Fight Night cherry breakers. I used to really like the guy until he came off as a total prick on this season of TUF. Anyway, Henderson by TKO in round 2

any predictions?
For the big three, mine are:

Mir vs Lesnar

This is a tough one to call. Mir is obviously a better fighter than Lesnar, but Lesnar is so huge. Herring was able to hang with him for 3 rounds, so i dont see how Mir wont be able to do the same. I'm gonna say Mir via submission in the 3rd round

GSP vs Alves

Another tough one. Alves seems like an animal, but I think GSP can handle him. I'd love to see GSP finish him off in the first round, but I dont think its going to happen. I'm gonna go with GSP by decision

Hendo vs Bisping

I really cant see Bisping beating Henderson in any fashion. I dont even think Bisping is a good as hes being made out to be. The only people he has dominated have been Ultimate Fighters who never really made it and Fight Night cherry breakers. I used to really like the guy until he came off as a total prick on this season of TUF. Anyway, Henderson by TKO in round 2

It's weird, I really liked Mir when he commentated for WEC, and he seems like a nice guy most of the time, but for some reason I don't want him to win. I can't explain it, as I usually enjoy watching his fights as well. Guess some part of me just likes Lesnar more. It'll be interesting to see what happens, regardless.

I agree with your other predictions. Despite how good Alves appears, I want/hope GSP beats him. I especially want Henderson to annihilate Bisbing. I too used to really like B, but he was such a douchebag on the last half of this TUF season, that I've really been looking forward to watching Henderson punch him in the face.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to do the pay per view at my place or not.

Fairly certain I'm going to do the pay-per-view at my place tonight. Should be a lot of fun, getting excited.

awesome. I'll probably hit up a bar a little further down town. I'm excited too, but I get nervous for GSP. I'll tell you though, being at a bar in Canada surrounded by fans, when GSP wins, its such an awesome atmosphere

Well, I was close but no cigar.

First, I'll just say that GSP looked fucking unstoppable. If Alves cant put any damage on him, I dont see how anyone else can. He completely dominated him. This makes me confident for a GSP vs Anderson Silva fight. How fucking awesome would that be?!?!?!

Bisping vs Henderson: pretty much how I thought it would go, but HOLY SHIT! what an awesome knock out! I almost felt bad for Bisping. Bad enough to take a massive knock out punch like that, but the follow-up while he was already knocked out was brutal. everyone in the bar had their mouths open. that was a highlight reel knockout man.

and Mir vs Lesnar.
alright fight. i kinda figured that would happen, but was hoping for the best. the second a massive heavyweight with skills steps into the octagon, Lesnar is finished. I think it might be a while though. He so fucking big. and the match ended so suddently. I didnt think Mir was in trouble. Either way, I wanna see Mir vs Lesnar 3. I think is inevitable.

Overall, it was the best UFC I've seen in months. Even though there was a bias because it was GSP, i think the card was so good. Cant wait for 101

GREAT fights! Really loved it, I wish they'd do fewer UFC's and make sure the cards were as stacked as 100 was. I was out of my chair flipping out when Henderson knocked Bispbing out, it was great. I couldn't have asked for a better ending to that fight, super satisfying.

Did anyone see the first fight? Was that not one of the worst decisions ever? Seemed unbelievably wrong, kinda makes you wonder if there was some sorta foul play. The Japanese guy did give it his all, but he was dominated the entire fight. Hopefully there are a lot of complaints about how it was scored.

The GSP fight was fantastic as well. He really did a great job, completely dominated all 5 rounds. I was still worried every time they stood up though, Alvez really stuck with it the entire fight, despite being completely picked apart. GSP's take downs were fantastic, seemed like he grabbed the vast majority of Alvez's kicks, I can't imagine how demoralizing that was for him considering kicks are normally Alvez's biggest weapons. Still, Alvez really showed some strength and determination, I couldn't believe he pushed his way up off the ground so many times. Great fight.

Mir totally showcased my strange "love/hate" relationship with him tonight. All the pre-fight clips they showed of him talking crap about Lesnar showed exactly what bugs me about him. At least he actually trained hard and was in shape for this fight though, but it still seemed like he drastically underestimated Lesnar with his idiotic trash talk. Honestly, I don't blame Lesnar for being so fired up and pissed off. Mir really got under his skin, I'm sure I would have felt the same way. Then after the fight, Mir showed exactly what it is about him I really like. He seemed very well spoken and intelligent about why he lost, showed some actual humility and desire to get back at it. Despite all the crowd booing, Mir acknowledged Lesnar had a valid win and used a better strategy than he was expecting. So, in a nutshell, I still like/hate him, and almost feel bad now by how entirely worked over he was by Lesnar.

Lesnar is a scary, SCARY dude. That guy is freaking enormous, almost made Mir look like he hadn't even been training for someone that big. Honestly though, I'm sure he hadn't. Who out there is that big, strong, and actually that good of a fighter/athlete to train with? It was crazy to watch, he just held him there and pounded him in the face from what is normally a really weak punching position. Really shows how strong the guy actually is. He freaking knocked him out with side punches while laying on him horizontally. Crazy. The guy freaking looked like The Hulk afterwards when he was screaming in the camera and foaming at the mouth, if I was in his division I would be considering dropping to light heavyweight after watching that.

Kinda weird they made Fitch fight after all the main cards, pretty anti-climactic to end that way. I thought he was going to get his azz kicked after the first round, but he really took it to him in the 2nd and 3rd. Pretty entertaining grappling fight, wish the would have had it before the main card fights though, the place looked empty when the fight was over.

All in all, 100 definitely lived up to all the hype for me. Who would have expected Lesnar to win on the ground, and Alvez not to land any big hits? Plus, the satisfaction of finally watching Bispbing get clowned after this last season of TUF was well worth the wait.

It was crazy to watch, he just held him there and pounded him in the face from what is normally a really weak punching position.

THIS!

what the fuck, man!? How is anyone supposed to actually out wrestle/BJJ/grapple this guy when he just can hold a guy like that and kick the shit out of him? Insane! I think, but hope I'm wrong, that Lesnar will be the champ for a while. Did you see Mir's cheek after the fight? looked like a grape fruit. Lesnar is a scary mother fucker for sure

THIS!

what the fuck, man!? How is anyone supposed to actually out wrestle/BJJ/grapple this guy when he just can hold a guy like that and kick the shit out of him? Insane! I think, but hope I'm wrong, that Lesnar will be the champ for a while. Did you see Mir's cheek after the fight? looked like a grape fruit. Lesnar is a scary mother fucker for sure

It's so weird how many of the divisions in the UFC are like this now. Who's going to beat Lesnar? Who's going to beat Silva? Who's going to beat GSP? But then you have the Light Heavy Weight division, where there are so many great fighters that it's almost crazy to think of how many people have held the belt in the last couple years, and how many other guys in the division who are nearly just as bad of dudes.

I'm not into UFC, but being a Montrealer, I'm very proud of Georges St. Pierre. I met him last year, and he seems like a very likable guy. :up:

Agreed. The guy is so humble and classy, he always shows so much respect and is so nice to the person he's fighting. It's crazy how humble and nice he is for how unbelievably talented he is.

It's so weird how many of the divisions in the UFC are like this now. Who's going to beat Lesnar? Who's going to be Silva? Who's going to beat GSP? But then you have the Light Heavy Weight division, where there are so many great fighters that it's almost crazy to think of how many people have held the belt in the last couple years, and how many other guys in the division who are nearly just as bad of dudes.

Youve got a point man. The Light Heavyweight Division is the only one that seems to be bouncing around at the moment, but even that seems like it might change with Machida. The only answer seems to be GSP vs Silva, and from what Ive heard, that seems to be pretty close to being a reality. How awesome would that be??? Maybe the best fight in UFC history

I've heard rumours that Fedor is closer than ever to a deal with UFC. If not that or a Mir rematch, I really cant think of another fight that would even be interesting at the heavyweight division

Did you see that Couture is going to fight Noguiera? Couture is one of my favorite fighters ever, but I sorta wince every time he takes another fight. I don't want to see another Chuck Liddell-esque bunch of losses at the end of a hall of famer's career.

I didnt see that. Thats exciting though! I love Couture too. How can you not love that guy?? I think it might be a good match though. They both seem to be at similar points in their careers despite the age difference. I bet its a good one. Couture seems like one of the classiest guys in the sport

1247367977823.gif

ouch

Dana White:

"I don't want to sound like a promoter and like I'm trying to sell you guys on (The Ultimate Fighter) Season 10. (But) it's the best television we've ever done," he stated emphatically to small group of reporters over UFC 100 weekend.

"From the second it starts until the second we end... Andrea, she's the producer, she said to me at the end of this thing, I honestly don't know what they're gonna do. There's so many things, there's so many stories; she says we could have a 10-disk DVD set on this thing, there's just so many story lines and so much crazy shit going on.
When I say crazy shit, I'm not talking about guys pissing in fruit and stuff like that. I'm talking real television. I'm talking real good stuff"

:up:

UFC: "EA Sports Told Us, 'You're Not a Real Sport'" - Xbox

UFC president Dana White has revealed that Electronic Arts passed on the video game rights of UFC because, among other things, the video game publisher supposedly hated mixed martial arts and didn't consider what the UFC was doing as a real sport. Here are some highlights from the MMAjunkie report:

"EA Sports told us, 'You're not a real sport,'" White said. "'We wouldn't touch this thing. We want nothing to do with this.'"

With EA Sports passing on the rights to the UFC's video game license, rival software company THQ elected to partner with mixed martial arts' biggest promotion. The company's first effort, "UFC Undisputed 2009," has shipped approximately 2 million units since its May release according to White, and the fiery exec is upset that EA Sports is now changing their tune with the recent announcement of a forthcoming "EA Sports MMA" title.

"We put our asses on the line, THQ and the UFC, to make a video-game deal in the worst economy in the world," White said. "We go out there and do this thing, and it's successful, and now [expletive] EA Sports wants to do a video game. Really? That's not what you told us a year-and-a-half ago.

"You told us you'd never be in business with us. They wouldn't even take a meeting because mixed martial arts disgusted them. This wasn't a real sport. Boy, they got over that real quick, didn't they?"

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom