The LONG overdue MMA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a terrible main card! Every fight went to decision other than the main event, and that was so boring that it may as well have gone to decision. The prelim fights were seriously better than the entire main card. I'm not sure what they were expecting though, I assumed the entire thing would be pretty lackluster just looking at the schedule, tons of minor names and so-so fighters. I know they have to hype fighters for business sake, but I wish the UFC would stop trying to pretend that some of their middle of the road fighters are all phenomenal huge names. In the long run, I think it's going to hurt their relationship with fans if they have crappy cards like this and the one in the UK next month. At least that one will be free to watch, but it's a pretty terrible card as well.

What a terrible main card! Every fight went to decision other than the main event, and that was so boring that it may as well have gone to decision. The prelim fights were seriously better than the entire main card. I'm not sure what they were expecting though, I assumed the entire thing would be pretty lackluster just looking at the schedule, tons of minor names and so-so fighters. I know they have to hype fighters for business sake, but I wish the UFC would stop trying to pretend that some of their middle of the road fighters are all phenomenal huge names. In the long run, I think it's going to hurt their relationship with fans if they have crappy cards like this and the one in the UK next month. At least that one will be free to watch, but it's a pretty terrible card as well.

I tell all of this shit to Dana White. Don't think that he won't choke you out.

Cos he will.

Twice.

If Koscheck saying "I'll just get in his face and *brrrrrrr* motorboat his ass" isnt a meme by this time tomorrow, well... I dont know what I'll do

Yeah, I really don't understand what he was trying to say there. He keeps trying to get under GSP's skin, and ironically it's getting under his skin that he's failing at it.

Don't forget the WEC fights tonight!

So the third fight of the season is announced and Koscheck whispers to his assistant coach "we win this and we get to choose the next fight".... really dude? Did you really need to reiterate the rule that they've been using for the last 8 seasons as if you were revealing some sort of secret?
Some of the crap that comes out of that guys mouth just blows my mind. He really is pretty dumb

Haha. Yeah, I watched that episode yesterday, pretty funny. I think he's going to have a complete blow up sometime soon as a mixture of his anger over losing all their fights and his inability to piss off GSP. It's pretty funny how much it's bothering him that GSP doesn't care about him at all.

Did you notice Condit entered the arena with the live version of Bullet the Blue Sky with the Star Spangled Banner intro on Saturday? I loved seen Hardy get knocked out, if only the same would have happened to Bispbing.

I did notice :up: When the Star Spangled Banner first started, my initial reaction was that Bullet the Blue Sky would follow, but I assumed I was just acting like an EYKIW freakshow. It was cool to hear it being played. I wonder if Condit is a big U2 fan.
And yes, that was sweet to see Hardy get his trap shut like that. He was humble in defeat though, so I'll give him that

__btock.jpg

Note to Shane Carwin: They'll give you a belt as long as you cut the face of the guy you're fighting, even if you haven't hurt him nearly as much as the previous guy.

I really felt bad for Brock at the end of this one. He's managed to win me over in the last year and a half. I was surprised how quickly he drops to the ground when he gets hit though. But ya, he didn't look as hurt as he did vs Carwin. He seemed to be mostly covering up. Hopefully he'll get a rematch or a shot against Dos Santos. I've got a bad feeling that he might pack it in though.

Yeah, I like him too. I think Cain (who the hell names their kid that?!) is great, I just thought it was a bit on the horse crap side of things that he legitimately hadn't hurt Lesnar nearly as much as Carwin did. The cut is what ended the fight.

I think the other fighters have finally realized that Lesnar has no experience, and they've made game plans tailored on that. Cain flat out gave up his back when he jumped back up from being taken down, as he knew Lesnar wouldn't try a choke. He's been punched in the chin two fights in a row when he went in for the take down now, which also seems like a sign of inexperience. I think he could be much better with more time, and a different training camp. I don't think he'll leave his camp though, unfortunately.

That is very exciting news! The lightweight unification bought is very interesting

I especially liked that White sorta admitted (without admitting) that some of their cards have been lackluster this year, considering their big argument is that now there will be more title fights and big names on the cards.

I just hope he isn't overconfident. If Koscheck beats him, I will cry. I like that he's got a bit of attitude for this one though. Maybe we'll get a knockout instead of a 5 round beating

JT, would you please scream offensive comments at Koscheck when he enters the area for me? Thank you.

JT, would you please scream offensive comments at Koscheck when he enters the area for me? Thank you.

Oh, I will most certainly do that. I sort of hope to randomly run into him on the street so that he'll actually hear me in particular.
I had a thought today: Wouldn't it be awesome if, when Koscheck enters the arena, instead of everyone booing him, it was just completely silent? I'm sure he feeds off of the negative energy to some extent; it would be awesome if everyone just seemed completely indifferent to him.
Of course, that will never happen, so I'll scream obscenities. Anything in particular you want me to yell? I will for real do it. Bonus points if it makes my gf laugh

Hope you had fun, man. I bought the PPV in HD, looked absolutely crazy there. I've never seen so many people at an MMA event.

Also, watching Koscheck get his ass handed to him was fun as well. :wink:

Man, so I just got home about an hour ago (long drive from Montreal). What a night! I cant wait for them to come to Toronto. We got there just as the Matt Riddle fight was ending (a shame, since Dana gave them Fight of the Night bonuses). Every fight we saw was awesome. Even the ones that went to decision were exciting. There was a ton of energy in the arena. We were in the 200 section and the view was fantastic. I would prefer these tickets over something in the 100s (unless they were really close). We were close enough to see the action really well and high enough to see over the cage and into the octagon. I'll probably try for similar seats in April (the rumour is GSP vs Shields:hyper: ).
I dont know if they do this before ever show, but on the big screen just before the televised PPV portion of the card starts, they play this montage video of a bunch of different fights all choreographed to The Who's Baba O'Riley. It sounds kinda cheesy, but it was friggin epic. At the end, when theres the weird organ breakdown, it was just the fight between Griffin and Bonnar. Gave me goosebumps.
The main event was unreal. The volume of the booing for Koscheck was only outdone by the insane cheering for GSP. Could you get a sense of that on the TV? The place was deafening. I was screaming at the top of my lungs; I'm usually pretty reserved.
Throughout the entire fight, the crowd alternated between chants of "GSP! GSP! GSP", that "OLE OLEOLEOLE OOOLE OOOLE" song, and "FUCK YOU KOSCHECK *clap* clap* *clapclapclap*"
I was literally on the edge of my seat for the whole thing. I can't believe how nervous I felt for it.
It can be a little hard to see the damage being done from the crowd, so when they showed Koscheck's eye on the big screen inbetween round 1 and 2, the place erupted. You could tell they were hard jabs, because his head was jerking backward with every one. Toward the end of the 5th round, the obligatory "na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye' chants started (I thought a bit too early. There was still 2 minutes left). And even though the decision was obvious, everyone went crazy when they announced GSP as the winner. Man, it was such a wicked experience. And to top it all off, I got a pair of these

jakks-ufc-gloves.jpg

They're oversized, plush fists and they are awesome

Very cool, man. I'm extremely jealous. Yeah, the crowd sounded ridiculously loud on tv as well, Rogan and Goldberg were making numerous comments and jokes about it. Koscheck literally looked scared after the first round, he had this almost deer in the headlights look on his face when he was sitting in his corner. I love how GSP keeps getting pissed after fights that he's not finishing his opponents, despite that he absolutely annihilates them round after round.

I agree that the fights were all entertaining, much better than some of the recent cards. It was well worth buying on PPV. Thiago Alves looked awesome! I was really impressed with him, as he looked like complete crap the last time he fought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom