The Lonely Hearts V8 Supercars 2007 Season Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Sandown 500 has officialy been demoted to a sprint race. The 500 will now be Phillip Island.

I'm not too sure how I feel about this, I love Sandown... at least it's still in Victoria.

What?! Was that an expected move? I mean, I haven't kept up with the V8 news - as I mentioned in my first post on this thread - so that took me by surprise. But were those of you following the racing also taken by surprise?

COBL_04 said:
Never. Ever. Sorry but my grandpa would rise out his grave and put me in it if I did that.

Good man. :up:

Axver said:

:lol: I heard they've talked about renaming themselves the Brave Blossoms, which just strikes me as even worse because it sounds so contrived ... and still not very threatening. Then again, can you really talk? You follow a team with the wimpy name of Rabbitohs in the wimpy version of rugby! :wink:

:madspit: Well at least they are named after a animal and rabbits can be fierce, i had to get a tetanus once from a bunny scatch, what can blossoms do, unless you snap off a branch and start smackin' somone with it........:lol: "The brave blossoms" :lol:

We should re-name the Wallabies the "Wobbly Wattles":hmm:

Axver said:
What?! Was that an expected move? I mean, I haven't kept up with the V8 news - as I mentioned in my first post on this thread - so that took me by surprise. But were those of you following the racing also taken by surprise?

Good man. :up:

Well it wasn't completey unfounded... but it's mainly centers around the issues Tony Cochrane has with it. :shrug: I like it. I hope he goes. I don't like him. But the alternative is John Hewson... :yikes:

Do you think Kevin will win it?

fly so high! said:
:madspit: Well at least they are named after a animal and rabbits can be fierce, i had to get a tetanus once from a bunny scatch, what can blossoms do, unless you snap off a branch and start smackin' somone with it........:lol: "The brave blossoms" :lol:

We should re-name the Wallabies the "Wobbly Wattles":hmm:

Ha, touche. Though, still - your Super 14 rugby team is named after a flower! Who the hell calls their team the Waratahs? I suppose it does sound kind of neat, but if you know what a waratah is, it's damn hard to take seriously.

And I've always known the Wallabies as the Wannabes.

COBL_04 said:
Well it wasn't completey unfounded... but it's mainly centers around the issues Tony Cochrane has with it. :shrug: I like it. I hope he goes. I don't like him. But the alternative is John Hewson... :yikes:

Do you think Kevin will win it?

I've no damn clue who either of those individuals are in your first paragraph. Does this just prove I'm out of it, or are you trying to out-obscure me to get back at my unheard-of music? :wink:

I think Kevin will get the majority of the vote, but due to seat distribution, that doesn't guarantee an election victory. I'm a little worried, but hesitantly optimistic.

PS, re "centers": American English = bad English. Centres = good English. (What? I had to get back at your Chisel/Barnsey nitpick. :evil: )

Axver said:

Yes it was a suprise, apparently the pits are not good enough anymore and Melborne Racing Club are not forthcoming with the $$ to spend upgrading the track and pits. Tony Cohrane is the V8 supercars chairman.

Never really knew there was an issue, the articles that they have about it really do not pin point the exact problems with the track they just said they needed upgrading.

Last edited:
Axver said:

I've no damn clue who either of those individuals are in your first paragraph. Does this just prove I'm out of it, or are you trying to out-obscure me to get back at my unheard-of music? :wink:

I think Kevin will get the majority of the vote, but due to seat distribution, that doesn't guarantee an election victory. I'm a little worried, but hesitantly optimistic.

PS, re "centers": American English = bad English. Centres = good English. (What? I had to get back at your Chisel/Barnsey nitpick. :evil: )

Get back at you. :wink:

Yeah I noticed that when I wrote it but didn't bother chanigng it and had to wash my hands after it.

Touche :yes:

COBL_04 said:

Get back at you. :wink:

Yeah I noticed that when I wrote it but didn't bother chanigng it and had to wash my hands after it.

Touche :yes:

:lol: on the first two counts.

:mad: Now with the French! :wink:

PS Can we bump Bathurst back a week? That'd really suit my essay-writing schedule much, much better. I'm going to be so fucking dead next weekend it's not funny. RWC quarter-finals AND Bathurst AND a 2,000 word essay to finish. Joy of joys.

It would be grand if they could just put Bathurst in late October, November (There is nothing on at all for us in November!).......Bathurst always falls on our daughter's B'day.....so hubby has to miss her birthday every other year....he is not going to Bathurst this year. I don't mind Bathurst myself but Philamy Park is not a place for young families.

November is just a lost month, really. The rugby's either over or gone to the Northern Hemisphere, there's nothing like Bathurst, and the cricket's yet to fully hit its stride. All that's notable is the Melbourne Cup, but I don't care much for horse racing and that's a meagre couple of minutes anyway.

But first Sunday of October's tradition, so ...

Tony Cochrane thinks he's Bernie Ecclestone :madspit: I hope he goes, but I don't think John Hewson is the man either :huh: (former leader of the Liberal Party, who lost the "unloseable" 93 election to Paul Keating, for Axver :wink: )

So no Sandown? I like Sandown. But I do like Philip Island more. That's a wicked track, if fucking cold with the wind coming straight off Antarctica. (I've suffered all the elements at all the Vic tracks, having travelled there with my Formula Vee mates. And I've found out I might be going to Bathurst in February, cos the Vees have got a support race there, for the first time in about 10 years :hyper: )

How hot is it gonna be in Bathurst in February? :yikes:

fly so high! said:
It would be grand if they could just put Bathurst in late October, November (There is nothing on at all for us in November!).......Bathurst always falls on our daughter's B'day.....so hubby has to miss her birthday every other year....he is not going to Bathurst this year. I don't mind Bathurst myself but Philamy Park is not a place for young families.

McPhilamy actually isn't toooooo bad nowadays. It's still not the place for young families, but compare it to like a decade ago, and man it was psycho. The cops were too scared to go up there. There were no bus tours. It was really quiet last year, which I thought was pretty disappointing.

Check out my October - :D
1st weekend - Bathurst
2nd Friday - Deb
3rd Friday - Deb
4th Saturday - 21st

*puts000onpermanentspeediallolz:drunk:*

Dad (Hubby stayed home this weekend, it's his off year, he only goes on even year's) has left for Bathurst today, he called us to say what's going on:

The cars and their persons were searched. Although they missed dad's Baileys.
There are more sniffer dogs than ever.
1 carton of grog ONLY per person for entire duration of weekend. Dad got around this one by rounding up a few of his tea-totler friends....not many i can assure you, he found 3 in his group of 33 peeps.
There is a water canon, LOL!.....the police have stated it will be unlikely they will need to use it, but it's there for "just in case"

I wonder if young Daniel is up there yet?.......If he is i'm sure he won't be too happy.......FORD 1st in practice sessions yesterday and today and 3 cars in the top 5.

It's looking good!

fly so high! said:
The cars and their persons were searched. Although they missed dad's Baileys.
There are more sniffer dogs than ever.
1 carton of grog ONLY per person for entire duration of weekend. Dad got around this one by rounding up a few of his tea-totler friends....not many i can assure you, he found 3 in his group of 33 peeps.
There is a water canon, LOL!.....the police have stated it will be unlikely they will need to use it, but it's there for "just in case"

Shit like this and APEC make me wonder about this country sometimes. I mean, a water cannon, seriously? Now, I understand Bathurst doesn't have the most family-friendly reputation in the world and it doesn't sound like my kind of scene, but come on, what you just described sounds excessively controlling and paternalistic.

Amusingly enough, my post right before this one asked somebody "what on earth is wrong with Australia?" Make of that what you will ...

It's Bullshit is'nt it! I could not believe it either.......the water-canon is a stupid idea.

I agree Axver........I do not like the way Australia is headed right now, like you said "Bathurst" or rather "the camping grounds" are not a place for some people, like me for example....I love racing, and since i was a little girl i have always dreamt of being a V8 racer.......but really the pissing-up all weekend and only watching a part of the race and having to put up with the noise, it's not for me or for many others.

Granted Dad says the riot stuff is prolly more for "feral hill" his lot won't get affected, it's prolly where young Daniel is staying too, not sure, which is McPhillamy Park, but the rules are just too dumb, they have has no problem before.

What concerns me and also with what happenend with APEC is because of these restrictions, people will be forced to voice their opinions in a louder and more violent way, become more secretive, just so they can protest or show their dis-like for something.........I mean in regards to Bathurst, Dad is one of the most placid guys you want to meet, but he wants to un-leash his own "water-canon" on the bastard thing if gets close enough to it. This type of thing just gets people's back up worse.

(I'm off to check-out your previous post:wink: )

Last edited:
Water cannons should be reserved for the "sokkah violence!", even though it's mythological.

Bathurst = snorefest

fly so high! said:
I agree Axver........I do not like the way Australia is headed right now, like you said "Bathurst" or rather "the camping grounds" are not a place for some people, like me for example....I love racing, and since i was a little girl i have always dreamt of being a V8 racer.......but really the pissing-up all weekend and only watching a part of the race and having to put up with the noise, it's not for me or for many others.

Granted Dad says the riot stuff is prolly more for "feral hill" his lot won't get affected, it's prolly where young Daniel is staying too, not sure, which is McPhillamy Park, but the rules are just too dumb, they have has no problem before.

What concerns me and also with what happenend with APEC is because of these restrictions, people will be forced to voice their opinions in a louder and more violent way, become more secretive, just so they can protest or show their dis-like for something.........I mean in regards to Bathurst, Dad is one of the most placid guys you want to meet, but he wants to un-leash his own "water-canon" on the bastard thing if gets close enough to it. This type of thing just gets people's back up worse.

Yeah. This just doesn't seem like the country I moved to 10 years ago (almost to the day: 8 October). I'm used to a laidback country. Now ... let's just say New Zealand's doing a much better job of being laidback without being irresponsible. Hell, you don't even go through any form of security to get on most domestic flights! Full car/person searches for a motor racing event seem unthinkable.

I mean, for goodness' sake, anyone going to Bathurst knows about McPhillamy Park, and there are probably far more productive ways to improve things than excessive security that just makes people feel like they're criminals and their privacy's being invaded. It's a simple principle. Make someone feel like they're in the wrong and they won't respect you - odds are they'll just fulfill your vision because they know you're thinking it anyway. Reach out with an olive branch and people will be a hell of a lot more co-operative.

But come on. I feel like that's something I should be saying about airport security (in fact, I do say it about US airports, which feel like prisons). This is a fucking sporting event. The NSW police (and the federal police, re: Haneef) have just made themselves look like a pack of over-zealous twits this year, poorly handling and over-reacting to every little thing.

Great article in The Age about how a lot of Bathurst followers were engrossed in the Sydney FC-Melbourne Victory clash screened in many clubs and bars last night......the tide is turning.

YES! LOWNDES/WHINCUP WIN AGAIN! I love it when a driver I like actually wins. It hadn't happened at Bathurst until last year. (Well, technically it did in 1996 when Lowndes won, but that was the very first V8 race I saw and I didn't know anybody.)

And Ford 1st, 2nd, 3rd! SUCK THAT, HOLDEN! Yeah, I know I said I'm not all too into the rivalry, but in the moment ... well, you know.

Got to feel terrible for Winterbottom/Richards though.

blueeyedgirl said:
Rain at Mt Panorama = mayhem :drool:

Oooh yeah. The last 25 laps were so intense. They were always going to be, with the pit strategy coming into play, but then when the rain came down and the pace car came out ... that was truly edge-of-your-seat stuff. :drool:

Also can't believe what happened to Bright, going from leader to crashing out.

And shit, Lowndes was lucky to even make it to the end of the race, let alone win, given how he twice avoided being completely split in half on the chase by mere millimetres.

:(

Disappointing result, but a great weekend, and geez the final 30 laps was some of the best racing I've ever seen. Bathurst never fails to disappoint. Holden had such a shit day. Of the Holden factory teams, the only driver to finish was Seton, who has driven a Ford his whole life! :happy: I was really digging for Johnson and Davison though. Don't like Courtney, I saw enough of Lowndes' stupid bloody smirk and eyebrows last year. We were all getting a bit excited when that last safety car was called and Murphy got bunched back up. But they just didn't have the pace. Congrats to Owen and D'Alberto - at the start of the day I said they'd finish top ten, and they did. Owen is not very well known, but he's a really good driver with a great record at Bathurst. Lowndes didn't deserve to win it, Winterbottom/Richards should have, they dominated for the most part of it. Lowndes was lucky he was there in the right place and right time.

But now I want to express my disgust with the police. They have absolutely killed the spirit of the fans with their extremely over-the-top crackdown on the place. I saw their compound and their water cannon. Absolute disgrace. I went up to McPhillamy on Saturday night and felt 110% safe, but that's not the point. The bull pen is dead. The loudest noise was someone throwing a beer can at a bin and missing, and I am surprised 50 pigs didn't descend on him with fines. I was really angry. The fireworks and floating gas bags and all the rest of it which really livens up the place were nowhere. So thanks for wrecking an otherwise pretty good weekend you bastards. :|

COBL_04 said:
:(

I saw enough of Lowndes' stupid bloody smirk and eyebrows last year.|

Hehe, Lowndsey's eyebrows....

The police crackdown was cause you're all a bunch of hooligans :wink:

Back
Top Bottom