The Lonely Hearts V8 Supercars 2007 Season Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something for you Holden fans.....put these in your album!

Now this is the best looking Holden I have ever seen:yes:
dirtyholden.jpg

My hubby after Skaife forgot to use his clutch on the mountain - Bathurst 2006
FlysHubby.jpg

Haha, that top picture was pretty good actually. I'll pay that.

And that was a horrible moment. The race just starts, I"m with a bunch of Holden blokes. We are mixed with Ford blokes. All of sudden, Skaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaifeeeee's gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horrible moment. They should have let Garthy start. Boo.

:mad:

Ah well. Let's hope we can regroup for Bathurst. With Skaifey back we should be better...

There were some good performances at Sandown. Simonsen/Lyons in the second Vodaphone car, Bargwanna/Denyer in the WPS car, before they went, Dumbrell and Weel in the Super Cheap Car, Todd Kelly was outstanding given his condition. Bowe, just outside the top ten. Unfortunately when Lowndes took that lead it just seemed that even if the gap was half a second he was completey in control.

What date is Bathurst? I'm usually too busy these days and don't follow anything outside of rugby and cricket all too much. But I always look forward to Bathurst in a big way.

Fuck. I was hoping it'd be later. This weekend and the subsequent two weekends, I'll likely be writing essays. Oh well, I'll make it work.

It just has to be during the Rugby World Cup too, doesn't it? Hopefully I won't be so buggered after staying up late for an All Blacks game that I'll miss the minor races that precede the main race. Those are sometimes my favourite part of the day.

Really? The main purpose they serve is simply to fill in time, no one really cares too much about them. In post cases I've seen them just as something to watch while thousands of people stand on the hill sobering up from a loooong Saturday night.

See, I enjoy the variety - and I enjoyed it even more when I regularly followed the V8s. Seeing cars going around that you don't normally get to see always struck me as pretty cool. Plus, because they're such short sprint races, I find they're pretty damn entertaining on that merit.

Fair enough. I can understand watching the Fujitsu series, as that's basically the reserves, and sometimes the Carerra cup, but all the others I don't care about. Don't know the drivers. It's like the AFL and VFL - I live on AFL, really couldn't care about the VFL. I'm a huge Geelong fan, and they won the VFL Grand Final today and I barely cared. I mean it's good but not that great.

Are you Ford or Holden? Cos at the moment I'm outnumbered 3-1.

COBL_04 said:
Are you Ford or Holden? Cos at the moment I'm outnumbered 3-1.

Well, put it this way: on my first post, I nearly included "PS Fuck Holden", but I figured that I need to tone down my language a little. :wink:

That said, if I like a driver, I couldn't care less what they drive. Lowndes was one of my favourites even when he was with Holden, and who doesn't love Brock?

Yes, there is no denying a legend.

How are you Axver? I've been meaning to find out how the competitions has been going......i did not have anytime to listen to anything, just got back on the forums........been extremely busy, you could say, of late!

fly so high! said:
How are you Axver? I've been meaning to find out how the competitions has been going......i did not have anytime to listen to anything, just got back on the forums........been extremely busy, you could say, of late!

I'm doing pretty well, but also busy, mainly thanks to uni. The Rugby World Cup isn't helping. The current mini-Desert Island is going pretty nicely, has some of the best tracklists I think. It's my favourite so far, very consistent quality.

Good to see you around - when I saw you listed as the last poster on this thread, I thought "hey, it's been a bit of a while since I've seen you post much!"

Well, put it this way: on my first post, I nearly included "PS Fuck Holden", but I figured that I need to tone down my language a little. :wink:

That said, if I like a driver, I couldn't care less what they drive. Lowndes was one of my favourites even when he was with Holden, and who doesn't love Brock?

So we've got a drifter in the midst... :hmm: :lol:

Nah I agree with that but even if they are good, I will still tend to hate them.

Ambrose, for example. :wink:

Brock, absolute legend, but the one time I met him (his comeback in 04 I think it was) he was a prick lol. Everyone says he had heaps of time for his fans but he didn't that day. It's been a year since his death!

I was meant to come back earlier and say that I got Dad the best birthday present ever: Six DVD Box Set of Bathurst Highlights from earlyt 60s to like 02. :combust:

Axver said:
See, I enjoy the variety - and I enjoyed it even more when I regularly followed the V8s. Seeing cars going around that you don't normally get to see always struck me as pretty cool. Plus, because they're such short sprint races, I find they're pretty damn entertaining on that merit.
I agree with you. I like watching the support races, sometimes more than the V8s. In these categories, there's more chance of races being won because of driver skill than how much money's invested in a team.

And I'm a bit biased, friends of mine race in Formula Vee (best entry level category there is :drool: ) and Formula Ford, so I gotta pay attention. :wink:

Axver said:

I'm doing pretty well, but also busy, mainly thanks to uni. The Rugby World Cup isn't helping. The current mini-Desert Island is going pretty nicely, has some of the best tracklists I think. It's my favourite so far, very consistent quality.

Good to see you around - when I saw you listed as the last poster on this thread, I thought "hey, it's been a bit of a while since I've seen you post much!"

Good to hear.....There was a couple of times i stayed up and watched the Rugby but i have been so busy myself of late, that i should be...well....sleeping when Rugby's on......I have to say i had a little chuckle about the Japanese team...."The Cherry Blossoms".....the name is pretty but it does not quite strike the fear of God in one's soul,hey! hubby's been watching the World cup....and from now on there is NRL grand-finals, Phillip Island, Bathurst and Gold Coast, so there will be a permanent dent in the lounge until next October.

COBL_04 said:

Hey! how are you going?? :hug: I've missed this thread. :lol:

Ps what was your name again? I dont think I ever caught it. Sorry :reject:

It's Cherin (Prounounced exactly like GayFL's "Sherrin" footballs)

I'm doing good....looking forward to ruffling your feathers in the coming race....a Ford win would make a nice balance, me thinks.

Yes.....I have been told i am not a true aussie for not liking 2 of our national sport codes: Cricket & Grass Ballet

I have tried to sit down and watch a game of cricket, even went to my friends game a couple of times when she was representing state.......but i am afraid i would rather pluck the hairs from my legs one by one than watch a game of bloody cricket.

AFL, prolly would like it if i understood it, i just don't get it.......Rugby League is my favourite, i can never grow tired watching that sport, and seeing my beloved South Sydney rabbitohs reach the finals was just awsome!

Tennis sucks too! But that's more because of the noises they make when they hit the ball......and i hate Astro-turf and the feel of tennis balls, makes my teeth clatter.

COBL_04 said:
Nah I agree with that but even if they are good, I will still tend to hate them.

Ambrose, for example. :wink:

I just can't get into the serious Ford vs Holden hate because I don't feel anything very strongly towards them. As I said, I generally go for Ford and lean towards them (and like to have a bit of a poke at Holden fans just to get in the spirit of friendly rivalry), but ... it's not like Wellington vs Auckland or New Zealand vs Australia, you know? So I'm happy to go for the drivers I like, even if they happen to drive a Holden.

I'd like to see some other cars going around ...

fly so high! said:
Good to hear.....There was a couple of times i stayed up and watched the Rugby but i have been so busy myself of late, that i should be...well....sleeping when Rugby's on......I have to say i had a little chuckle about the Japanese team...."The Cherry Blossoms".....the name is pretty but it does not quite strike the fear of God in one's soul,hey! hubby's been watching the World cup....and from now on there is NRL grand-finals, Phillip Island, Bathurst and Gold Coast, so there will be a permanent dent in the lounge until next October.

:lol: I heard they've talked about renaming themselves the Brave Blossoms, which just strikes me as even worse because it sounds so contrived ... and still not very threatening. Then again, can you really talk? You follow a team with the wimpy name of Rabbitohs in the wimpy version of rugby! :wink:

At least my rugby teams are Lions, Hurricanes, and All Blacks. I like to make fun of some of the shitty AFL team names. Swans?! Oh yeah, that's really intimidating. Some of the old ones are even better, like the Hawthorn Mayblooms. Classic. And COBL_04, I understand your Cats were the Pivotonians, which cracks me up every time - they should have kept it.

This certainly is the busy season for sport, though. Bring on an All Blacks win in the World Cup! Er, what was the original topic again ... oh yeah, Bathurst! Who else wants it to be a wet and miserable day? :wink:

fly so high! said:
Yes.....I have been told i am not a true aussie for not liking 2 of our national sport codes: Cricket & Grass Ballet

I have tried to sit down and watch a game of cricket, even went to my friends game a couple of times when she was representing state.......but i am afraid i would rather pluck the hairs from my legs one by one than watch a game of bloody cricket.

Personally I like cricket, but I've always understood how people can get bored of it quickly.

AFL, prolly would like it if i understood it, i just don't get it.......Rugby League is my favourite, i can never grow tired watching that sport, and seeing my beloved South Sydney rabbitohs reach the finals was just awsome!

Tennis sucks too! But that's more because of the noises they make when they hit the ball......and i hate Astro-turf and the feel of tennis balls, makes my teeth clatter.

See my issue with it is I think it is just very annyoing, because its very stop-start and it is basically grown men running into other grown men and then falling over. It's great when it gets going, the state of origin game two years back when qld came from behind was a terrific game, but otherwise I think it's painful to watch.

Tennis does suck. :yes:

Originally posted by Axver
I just can't get into the serious Ford vs Holden hate because I don't feel anything very strongly towards them. As I said, I generally go for Ford and lean towards them (and like to have a bit of a poke at Holden fans just to get in the spirit of friendly rivalry), but ... it's not like Wellington vs Auckland or New Zealand vs Australia, you know? So I'm happy to go for the drivers I like, even if they happen to drive a Holden.

I know people who are like that. Myself, that's why I love motor racing so much, because it is to me a massive rivalry, I feel very strongly for Holden, and strongly against Ford. Imagine my embarrasment when me n Dad had to drive up three years in a row in a Ford, his company car. I would be against other cars joining if it meant half of Ford and Holden had to be wiped out. Toyota is the only threat. But I think they would struggle to get a fanbase myself.

At least my rugby teams are Lions, Hurricanes, and All Blacks. I like to make fun of some of the shitty AFL team names. Swans?! Oh yeah, that's really intimidating. Some of the old ones are even better, like the Hawthorn Mayblooms. Classic. And COBL_04, I understand your Cats were the Pivotonians, which cracks me up every time - they should have kept it.

This certainly is the busy season for sport, though. Bring on an All Blacks win in the World Cup! Er, what was the original topic again ... oh yeah, Bathurst! Who else wants it to be a wet and miserable day? :wink:

The Swans are just intimidating as the 'chefs' or 'reds' so don't you start arkin' up. :madspit: And yes, they were named the Pivotonians, I believe it was something to do with the transport system. One of the more creative nicknames, yes. :wink:

I hope it's not wet and miserable, I've had good luck with the weather so far. If it's about 25C all day, bit of sun, bit of cloud, no wind, no humidity I'll be very happy.

And Cherin how would you feel if Seton won his first in a Holden? :wink:

COBL_04 said:
I know people who are like that. Myself, that's why I love motor racing so much, because it is to me a massive rivalry, I feel very strongly for Holden, and strongly against Ford. Imagine my embarrasment when me n Dad had to drive up three years in a row in a Ford, his company car. I would be against other cars joining if it meant half of Ford and Holden had to be wiped out. Toyota is the only threat. But I think they would struggle to get a fanbase myself.

I just don't know what there is to make me particularly passionate about either Ford or Holden. I mean, I'm from Wellington - it has a special meaning to me. But Ford vs Holden? Well, my uncle used to drive a nice classic Ford ... one of my friends into cars thinks Fords are better quality ...

The Swans are just intimidating as the 'chefs' or 'reds' so don't you start arkin' up. :madspit: And yes, they were named the Pivotonians, I believe it was something to do with the transport system. One of the more creative nicknames, yes. :wink:

I heard it was something to do with Geelong as a port being the "pivot" of Victoria or something. Whatever the case, I think it sounds damn cool. Cats is a pretty wimpy nickname, it makes me think of cuddly domestic felines, but because Power is an even worse nickname and "Pivotonian" is hilariously great, I'm going for Geelong on Saturday.

As for the Super 14, there are some shitty nicknames for sure. I've always thought Reds and Blues sucked, Waratahs (a flower?!) is just dumb, Force is hardly better than Power, and we have our own Cats. I too have never liked Chiefs, but that's because it's an ugly word: as a nickname, it makes sense, due to the Maori heritage in the Chiefs' catchment. But Hurricanes, Highlanders, Crusaders, they're all pretty fucking cool.

And in New Zealand's third division of rugby, I don't even need to worry about team nicknames: Horowhenua-Kapiti (that's Hor-oh-fen-oo-aa Kah-pit-ee) stands on its own merits. :wink:

I hope it's not wet and miserable, I've had good luck with the weather so far. If it's about 25C all day, bit of sun, bit of cloud, no wind, no humidity I'll be very happy.

Let's be honest though: the race is always more entertaining in the wet. Especially when it's raining up on the mountain but dry at the bottom.

Axver said:

Well, there used to be, in the classic old days of Bathurst. You see, kiddies, they used to have different classes of cars at Bathurst: Class A, imports like BMWs, V12 Jags, Mini's, so you'd get great vision of people like Brocky getting road rage at some once-a-year dude hogging the road.

Ah the good old days.... :drool:

:gets out the zimmer frame and drapes the crochet blanket over her knees:

blueeyedgirl said:
Well, there used to be, in the classic old days of Bathurst. You see, kiddies, they used to have different classes of cars at Bathurst: Class A, imports like BMWs, V12 Jags, Mini's, so you'd get great vision of people like Brocky getting road rage at some once-a-year dude hogging the road.

Unless I'm grossly mistaken, didn't that happen until fairly recently? I'm damn sure I remember there being different classes of cars when I started watching around 1996-7 and the top drivers were getting pissed across the top of the mountain.

I had to check myself and it wasn't until 1999 that it was exclusively V8s (well according to Wikipedia). It certainly seems longer ago, or at least the more memorable incidents are from earlier, ie the Ford Sierra 1-2, Tom Walkinshaw's V12 Jags, the black JPS BMW M3s...

Yeah, 1999 seems in line with my memories of Bathurst. I've been watching it since 1996, when I was 9 and it was shown live in New Zealand and I thought it was the coolest non-rugby thing on earth.

I can understand the top drivers wouldn't want the lower classes around, but to me, more diversity makes the race more interesting.

COBL_04 said:
Being 17, the two are all I've grown up wtith, I don't know any different, I don't want it to chagne. Jsut me :shurg:

Future Liberal voter? :hmm:

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom