The London Olympics logo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
is, uh, interesting

london2012logo.jpg

Olympics Minister Tessa Jowell said: "This is an iconic brand that sums up what London 2012 is all about - an inclusive, welcoming and diverse Games that involves the whole country.

"It takes our values to the world beyond our shores, acting both as an invitation and an inspiration.

"This is not just a marketing logo, but a symbol that will become familiar, instantly recognisable and associated with our Games in so many ways during the next five years."

That sure is ugly.

It looks like three letters - Z O K.

Maybe they hope all the youngsters will take it up as a new saying. "Man, that London is ZOK, man! Word to your mother."

DaveC said:
looks about 25 years too old.

Yeah you should see it in its full animated glory.........it's so 80's it makes your eyes bleed.

A bit of the video for it has already been pulled, due to it inducing epileptic fits.

Apparently the mess of a logo is gonna change shape over the next couple of years, eventually forming the shape of an athlete.

London, you are out of your mind...

:sick:

The animated footage of the logo has been removed from the London 2012 Olympic Web site amid claims that it could trigger epileptic seizures.

Of all the creative minds out there, retro or not, this thing is absolutely a steaming heap of crap.

I remember when the contest was on and the countless number of submissions that were shown, there was plenty of suitable designs they could have chosen that were entered by amateurs and professional design houses.

I'm blown away, but at least Vancouver's looks great now compared to London's.

That's pretty bad. :huh:

I'm not a fan of our 2010 logo:
2010logo.jpg

:yuck:

I think our candidacy logo was so much better, and really represented Vancouver better:
2010otherlogo.jpg

DaveC said:
looks about 25 years too old.

It really does, like from 1986, or something. As a child of the 80s, I don't really want to go back there anytime soon. Are there no new ideas? :sad:

Though there is that inukshuk(a cairn or stone marker for those that don't know) at English Bay in Vancouver, the argument by some people(and not myself) is that the inukshuk is representative of people that live at least some 1800 miles north of Vancouver, and perhaps a local aboriginal design would have been preferable. Either way anything beats that London design.

^I see. I was thinking of the one I saw in Stanley Park, where I also saw nice local designs.

Does it come with the dude pinned to it like some butterfly specimen???? 'Cause that's the only way to distract from the fact that it's butt-ugly!!! :yuck:

LJT said:

it's so 80's it makes your eyes bleed.

My thoughts exactly . You know in science classes at school how whenever you'd watch a video it was always a really ancient one from 1982 where everyone looked like a teenage Sharon Watts?...perhaps that was just my school...anyway that's what this video reminds me of, the title sequence from one of those vids. :yes:

They should've just held a nationwide competition in all the schools or something. It'd have been cheaper and the winner would've looked a heck of a lot better than this!

I got a sex ed video with a similar type of opening sequence 5 years ago, which immediately went into a woman giving birth in all it's most miraculous creation of life detail...i'm afraid it is all I can think of when I see the logo:wink:

On another note the BBC really, really need to update their educational materials.....

Anywho....This is what happens when something is produced by committee...it is supposed to be youthful, get the young ones into sport...hard to do when it already looks so dated.

From wikipedia:

"The free newspaper London Lite, in its 5 June edition, printed a text from a reader pointing out the resemblance of the logo to Lisa Simpson performing oral sex. Numerous sources reported similar remarks being posted on blogs or article comments, while other sources described it as resembling a "broken window", "hip-hop graffiti" and even a "distorted swastika"."

:lol:

It's actually growing on me, if that's possible. As long as it's the red version and not the electric pink one.

Back
Top Bottom