The Lives of Others

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No spoken words

Blue Crack Supplier
I saw this film today.

For those of you that have not heard of it, it is a German film in limited release here in the States.

It's set in the GDR in 1984, the Wall is still very much up. I won't elaborate on the plot, you can look at IMDB if you're interested in the specifics.

I'll just say that the film was great. I'm sure it will put most American audiences to sleep; it moves slowly and it is all dialogue-based, no big action scenes, no huge belly laughs. But, I found it to be extremely well acted and highly interesting. It's still in my head a few hours later, so that speaks well for it, at least in my mind...it just kind of winds its way around you.

Anyway, if you get a chance, check it out.

There was a trailer for this movie before "Babel," which I saw today. It looked very good. Then I got my new Entertainment Weekly, and it was their pick of the week.

I'm going to go try and see it. :up:

corianderstem said:
There was a trailer for this movie before "Babel," which I saw today. It looked very good. Then I got my new Entertainment Weekly, and it was their pick of the week.

I'm going to go try and see it. :up:

There is no try....do, or do not.

:)

Hope you're able to see it and end up enjoying it. Would I steer you wrong????

I saw it last night.

It is nominated for AW "Best Foreign Language Film"

33 year old first time director

it is a very good film

it gets my highest recommendation :up:

hello NSW

I really enjoyed this film too.

this film made me think of

A Perfect Spy

I want to recommend it for you.

Also Game Set and Match is fantastic

these are both mini series I watched on PBS only A Perfect Spy is available at Netflix.

Was Game, Set and Match based on the books by Len Deighton? They were Berlin Game, Mexico Set and Londo Match. I read that trilogy, the only Deighton books I've read to date. I read A Perfect Spy, did not know there was a film version. I'm like a LeCarre addict, I even have some of his early books that were recently reissued due to his renewed popularity. I'll most definitely rent or perhaps buy A Perfect Spy, thanks so much for the recommendation!

My Father, knowing my passion for all things related to espionage bought for me an older BBC series called "The Sandbaggers" on DVD. I have only watched 3 episodes but all were entertaining. The central character is a bit of an anti-hero and the whole series seems to be an honest and intelligent look at the spy business. You might want to check it out.

No spoken words said:
Was Game, Set and Match based on the books by Len Deighton? They were Berlin Game, Mexico Set and Londo Match.

Yes, you exactly right.

Ian Holm starred.

It is not available on DVD or VHS.

No spoken words said:

I read A Perfect Spy, did not know there was a film version. I'm like a LeCarre addict, I even have some of his early books that were recently reissued due to his renewed popularity. I'll most definitely rent or perhaps buy A Perfect Spy, thanks so much for the recommendation!

Again right.

IMDB gave it a very high score.

I am not familiar with "Sand baggers'

I tried to watch "Smiley's People"
but did not enjoy it near as much as the other two.

I find the cold war, eastern bloc stories very good subject matter for suspence stories.

Last edited:
deep said:

Yes, you exactly right.

Ian Holm starred.

It is not available on DVD or VHS.

Again right.

IMDB gave it a very high score.

I am not familiar with "Sand baggers'

I tried to watch "Smiley's People"
but did not enjoy it near as much as the other two.

I find the cold war, eastern bloc stories very good subject matter for suspence stories.

I was not familiar with Sand Baggers either, until my Dad surprised me with it. You ought to check it out.

I am with you, Cold War stories are great for suspense. I've been lucky enough to go to Europe a few times and when in a city associated with the cold war I've tried to take a walking tour that focuses on espionage.

Ian Holm is great. :)

Back
Top Bottom