the "let's kill LiveJournal!" post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
I am peeved. Sure, LiveJournal had a power outage, and sure, that wasn't their fault. BUT I AM A PAYING CUSTOMER AND I DEMAND SERVICE! :angry: It's not fair! I have tons of stuff I want to write about, but now I can't. It's taking them bloody long to fix the problem too.

ARGH!

:ohmy: i have a LJ but i don't use it that often. i had no idea it was even down.

i like blogspirit.com better.

cant you write your stuff in microsoft word or something and then transfer it when it comes back up?

i never really understood journals in the first place. why people would want their inner most thoughts posted on the internet for the whole world to see is something i dont get.

dont diaries have locks so you can keep that stuff private?

Chizip said:
cant you write your stuff in microsoft word or something and then transfer it when it comes back up?

i never really understood journals in the first place. why people would want their inner most thoughts posted on the internet for the whole world to see is something i dont get.

yes diaries and journals (even here at interference) have options for marking entries as private or public.

i mainly use my blogspirit journal for updating my website. my personal stuff, if you'd call it that i post here in my interference journal. but i don't post really personal stuff anyway.

Chizip said:

I could, but I'd like to read what other people on my friends list have to say...and I can't.

Well, that's not really what LiveJournal is all about. There's communities that you can add to your friends list that discuss anything you could think of - U2, guitars, Liverpool FC, hockey... The beauty of LiveJournal is that you can discuss your interests with people who share your interests. In the real world, that can be hard. I mean, I don't know about you, but I've yet to meet someone who likes U2, the Montreal Canadiens, movie soundtracks, and The Silence of the Lambs. Yet, I've got a person like that on my friends list.

You can do that with LiveJournal. If I want to post something private, no one else has to see it. If I want it public, then I can make it so. LiveJournal is extremely flexible, and the lack of it makes me sad.

*coughSPAMcough*

A certain loving Interference member runs a blogging service that may or may not be linked in his signature ;)

LJ is a really easy way to stay in touch with people whom you don't see every day or that often. I love it for that.

i dont mean to offend anybody with this comment, and im sure im guilty of it too, but its kind of a sad reflection on society how addicted people are to the internet

what if the whole internet went down for a month? would people be able to handle it? im sure theres a lot of people that wouldnt. i mean if people get so upset that they cant post on livejournal for a day, just imagine what it would be like after a month.

just over 10 years ago the internet wasn't a part of our lives, now it seems nobody can live without it.

No, you're right, there is the perception we need the internet.

In some ways it is true - I could really not do my job effectively without it, because if I don't have access to genbank (genomic sequences), I'm severely limited in what I can do at a moment's notice.

I've travelled a lot to places where I didn't have any access for a week or a weekend and I didn't really miss it, to be honest. It wouldn't kill me if it went down. But I also have family that live in Europe, Asia, Australia, North America and Africa and it would be very expensive and inconvenient for me to talk to any of them were it not for the Internet. In that sense, I'm really grateful that it's around.

I guess it's more that it happened now, that's the problem. After about a week, I'd forget about it. That's the way it is with most things. Using the Internet is the same as doing anything else you enjoy. I mean, I got upset last week because a warm front moved over town, causing the ski hills to close for a few days. I was very disgruntled on the first day, but then got over it during the course of the week. Most negative things lose impact over time, but when they just happen, it's easy to become upset. It's human nature. So I really don't see the problem in getting upset because LiveJournal just went down. :shrug:

I don't think it's such a big deal. I mean, I was disappointed too, and I was angry for a couple minutes, but it definitely shows how awfully addictive these sort of things can be. Though, it's not like everybody on your friends list will be posting and you're not there, cos it's down for them too, right? I've got most of mine on IM anyway. In any case, it means I can spend more time at Interference, and that's definitely not a bad thing. [/suckup]

I need the internet for my job as well, for gathering data from academics in particular. (long story)

Im annoyed Livejournal is down as well. I enjoy reading the thoughts of my pixel pals as well as the info posted to the communities. Livejournal is such a delicious mix of interests. Its so easy to set the friends page to display info that I want to read about.

Its not like a static web site going down. Or even if this evil blue place went down. That wouldnt bother me particularly. If the Livejournal tools are used to advantage, Livejournal is an excellent read. And its not time intensive because the pages streamed through the friends pages are only there because the user has selected those friends and communities. No spam, no crap, no trolls. Best site on the internet I reckon. :up:

Last edited:
Chizip said:

That is *exactly* why I don't have a journal or blog. I'm too private.

beli said:
I need the internet for my job as well, for gathering data from academics in particular. (long story)

Im annoyed Livejournal is down as well. I enjoy reading the thoughts of my pixel pals as well as the info posted to the communities. Livejournal is such a delicious mix of interests. Its so easy to set the friends page to display info that I want to read about.

Its not like a static web site going down. Or even if this evil blue place went down. That wouldnt bother me particularly. If the Livejournal tools are used to advantage, Livejournal is an excellent read. And its not time intensive because the pages streamed through the friends pages are only there because the user has selected those friends and communities. No spam, no crap, no trolls. Best site on the internet I reckon. :up:

:up: :up: :up:

Said it better than I could. Quite frankly, I'm getting a tad annoyed with the people here who seem to think the whole journal idea thing is silly. It's not just a diary - it's so much more.

Back
Top Bottom