The "Leaving New York" appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
One of the best songs I have heard in the last 1 year.

A classic song.... ( as good as U2's SYCMIOYO)

What does this mean "Leaving was never my proud" ...is it grammatically correct ?

What is this about..is it about leaving New York..or does it have any other meaning..any thing Stipe talked about this song...

Anyone with more information on this song...its meaning ...why, when, how it was written.

Anyway I demand appreciation for this song... :wink:

AcrobatMan said:
One of the best songs I have heard in the last 1 year.

A classic song.... ( as good as U2's SYCMIOYO)

What does this mean "Leaving was never my proud" ...is it grammatically correct ?

What is this about..is it about leaving New York..or does it have any other meaning..any thing Stipe talked about this song...

Anyone with more information on this song...its meaning ...why, when, how it was written.

Anyway I demand appreciation for this song... :wink:

It's a mourning song about September 11, but is written metaphorically as the end of a relationship... in New York. As far as the "Leaving was never my proud" line... your guess is as good as mine.

Re: Re: The "Leaving New York" appreciation thread

UnforgettableLemon said:

It's a mourning song about September 11, but is written metaphorically as the end of a relationship... in New York. As far as the "Leaving was never my proud" line... your guess is as good as mine.

thanks.. I could see a 9/11 link

however english isnt my first language...to me

"Leaving was never my proud" seems wrong english...

Does it mean " I dont feel proud about leaving "

But I may be wrong

Re: Re: Re: The "Leaving New York" appreciation thread

AcrobatMan said:

thanks.. I could see a 9/11 link

however english isnt my first language...to me

"Leaving was never my proud" seems wrong english...

Does it mean " I dont feel proud about leaving "

But I may be wrong

That's about as close as I can figure. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, either. But that seems to be the intent.

I posted the lyrics to it in my journal just a few days ago. It is so beautiful. It runs like poetry. Far, far too unrecognised.
It surpasses 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' by a long mark, for me at least.

Last edited:
Great song. If only half these snotty little punks could even come close to writing a song like "Leaving New York" we'd all be better off. Instead we get a whole lotta retreads that all sound like something we've all heard before...or worse, we get no talent pimps like 50 Cent. Thank God for "middle-aged bland crap" at this point in time (at least commercially) - I do recognise the young talent in the underground circles but as far as what sells goes Thank the Good Lord for middle aqed bands like U2 and R.E.M.

really good song. unfortunatly it's one of only 3 on the album i really like.

poetic license!! do REM really have any songs with lyrics that make 100% sense?

Well, that sintactic construction ""Leaving was never my proud" is an anormal construction, but if we take "proud" as an noun and not an adjective (nominalization of adjectives), well, in this case, this is a perfect construction of the sentence.

Sorry for this gramatic lesson, but it was just to clearify that.

C ya guys:wink:

Sleep Over Jack said:
Absolutely terrible, middle-aged bland crap..

I agree :down: Despite I like REM, I have to admit this is one of their very worst compositions ever. Boring as hell, cliche, and the melody just goes nowhere :tsk:.

I really don´t like when a band - like REM or U2- write cliches for 11th September or New York. Everybody talks about New York and the terrorism, but everybody forget the most terrible terrorist attack ever made by the US goverment with their Atomic Bombs. They killed 200000 people in just seconds and people are still proud of that:silent:

What if the atomic bomb were been dropped in New York or any other important city of the United States? :shocked: ... they´d took revenge by killing at least 20 million of German people and other 20 million of Japanese people. Yes, I´m not nuts :coocoo:

how many people died on Pearl Harbour and how many people died on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?... that´s the "freedom and justice". 3000 people died by terrorist attacks on September 11th, and Irak people was inocent of that... US goverment have killed more than 50000 inocent civilians in revenge.... and Osama´s family is still making billions of dollars with their commercial trades both with US goverment and Saudi Arabia goverment....

That´s the "freedom and justice"

:( how I wish the world were really fair and free :heart:

um... yes.... Ponkine, I think that post would've been better off in the Free Your Mind forum or something. Anyway... I love this song and it would be great if somebody has interpreted the meaning and wants to explain. Haven't heard the rest of the album and probably never will, judging by the poor reviews.

I hate to burst all of ya bubbles, but I feel this song is not as their old songs. This is coming from a long time fan so don't get the wrong idea. But, still, it is much better then most of the stuff on the radio.

Back
Top Bottom