the latest footie thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
appently, Arsenal got Walcott today for £5, anyone seen him play as I have never done so.

Sounds like a good deal for both clubs, Arsenal get a prospect and Southampton get a fair bit, with more if he continues improving, for a player who may be at his peak.

Theo Walcott (16) has today signed for Arsenal from Championship side Southampton for an initial fee of £5 million which could rise to a maximum of £12 million.

The highly rated youngster has initially joined the Club as a scholar and will turn professional on his 17th birthday on March 16th 2006.

England Youth International Walcott, became the youngest player ever to represent the Southampton first team, coming on as a substitute in the first league match of this season against Wolves, aged just 16 years and 143 days.

Theo, who can play either as a forward or an attacking midfielder, made 13 appearances (scoring five goals) for Southampton this season and also broke into the England under-17 squad one year above his age group, scoring five goals from nine appearances in the 2004/05 season.

Manager Arsène Wenger said: “Theo Walcott is a very young player, but has already shown in his performances for Southampton that he is a talented player with huge potential. I also like the fact that he is a versatile player who is incredibly dedicated, shows great determination to succeed and is blessed with electric pace. We are delighted Theo has signed for the Club and will make a fantastic addition to our squad.”

Theo Walcott said: “I’m so pleased to be joining Arsenal, a club I have admired for a long time. Coming to Arsenal will give me the opportunity to work with world class players every day and play football at the highest possible level. It’s a strange day, because I’m also very sad to be moving from Southampton. I’m leaving many friends and some great coaches who have been so important to my career so far, but I leave with many great memories from the club. I’m now really looking forward to meeting my new team mates and working hard as an Arsenal player.”

Walcott is yet to play in the Premiership, but was involved in two FA Youth Cup ties against Arsenal in recent seasons. He was on the bench as a 14 year-old when the two teams met in January 2004, and scored the only goal when the teams met in Southampton in February last season.

Theo will immediately join up with his new team mates and will wear the Arsenal number 32 shirt this season.

Hey! Why are you guys being so rude to me when I make silly posts while posting :wink: smilies at other people? :sad:

:hmm:

I guess it must be love. :shrug:

USA trainer Bruce Arena wants to take Giuseppe Rossi for the world cup...................he belongs to Italy, if he's a smart guy (and he is) he will play for the italian U21, if the italians let him go they'd be fool

babyman said:
USA trainer Bruce Arena wants to take Giuseppe Rossi for the world cup...................he belongs to Italy, if he's a smart guy (and he is) he will play for the italian U21, if the italians let him go they'd be fool

I'm sure you would prefer Rossi instead of Vieri :wink:

babyman said:

:up: he should stay with Italy (and utd of course) :wink:

if he goes the the USA i don't really see him doing much at this world cup, he has no real big match experience/hasn't played a whole lot for UTDs first team :shrug:

he looks like he has a very bright future though :yes: 2-3 years from now, Rossi & Rooney up front for UTD:drool: :drool: :drool:

How quickly do you see him breaking into the Italian team? in time for the 2008 Euros?

the rockin edge said:

:up: he should stay with Italy (and utd of course) :wink:

if he goes the the USA i don't really see him doing much at this world cup, he has no real big match experience/hasn't played a whole lot for UTDs first team :shrug:

he looks like he has a very bright future though :yes: 2-3 years from now, Rossi & Rooney up front for UTD:drool: :drool: :drool:

How quickly do you see him breaking into the Italian team? in time for the 2008 Euros?

Definitely 100% for World Cup2010. I mean, you recognise good players from the beginning and Rossi is surely a good player, there's no doubt and he's got all the right cards, one is sure Manchester Utd. Playing at Manchester gives every player the right food to grow up in the right way, it's no secret that UTD is a workshop of talents and champions. He has a big opportunity to become a champion, but of course it depends of UTD, too. If Sir Alex gives him more and more chances to let him show what he can, there will be a great couple in the future with Rooney. I think Rossi is definitely one of those kind of players around whom UTD should rebuild, and playing for the italian national team would give him other bricks where to build his career. A player that plays for UTD and Italy, that gets coached by masters like Alex Ferguson and Marcello Lippi, can become only a champion. The football tradition lies in Europe, not in America............, I hope american friends don't get offended, but this is the truth
;)

babyman said:

Definitely 100% for World Cup2010. I mean, you recognise good players from the beginning and Rossi is surely a good player, there's no doubt and he's got all the right cards, one is sure Manchester Utd. Playing at Manchester gives every player the right food to grow up in the right way, it's no secret that UTD is a workshop of talents and champions. He has a big opportunity to become a champion, but of course it depends of UTD, too. If Sir Alex gives him more and more chances to let him show what he can, there will be a great couple in the future with Rooney. I think Rossi is definitely one of those kind of players around whom UTD should rebuild, and playing for the italian national team would give him other bricks where to build his career. A player that plays for UTD and Italy, that gets coached by masters like Alex Ferguson and Marcello Lippi, can become only a champion. The football tradition lies in Europe, not in America............, I hope american friends don't get offended, but this is the truth
;)

:up: :up:

Back
Top Bottom