the latest footie thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1stepcloser said:
Although i've got a feeling Rooney will be totally marked out of each match :(

I very much doubt he will. He can play as an out and out striker or he can drop back and act as an attacking midfielder, switching between the two when he feels. That is an absolute nightmare for a defender, they dont know whether to stick with him or let him go. If they get drawn out of position it would create acres of space for Owen to run onto a through ball. If nobody sticks with Rooney then he can cause major problems un-marked.

Also, I do wonder where people get this idea from that England are always hyped up before a tournament as possible winners by the press. I think this is the first time I can re-call it happening. In 1990, 98 and 2002 very few people suggested we could win the thing, particularly in 90 when we got to the semi's. If anything I'd say for recent tournaments, the english press and public have been too quick to write off England's chances, dismissing them as being only average. I find it has become quite fashionable in England recently to have a good old moan about everything, especially politics and sport. People are far too negative.

I'm not saying we are going to win the world cup, but I think we are very strong in all positions. For me, it is between England, Brazil and Argentina.

And take what I say as a very educated opinion! I had Greece to win Euro 2004 and everybody just laughed! :wink: I was the only one laughing in the end, wish I had money on it!

Yeah! I saw they beat Spain in the qualifiers and just got a feeling about them after I heard that. Wanted them to do well though because of the Stelios Gianakopoulos link to Bolton.

Too right, with Big Sam in charge we can win this seasons Uefa. Well to be honest Id be delighted if we get a positive result against Marseilles on Wednesday. But what do people think of Big Sam for England?

Sadly there has been a lot of un-educated opinion been banted around about Sam Allardyce being a poor manager, only playing long ball and his team being too aggresive. But as a season ticket holder, believe me, this has really been massively exaggerated. Nolan, Stelios and Diouf are too good to resort to Sunday League football.

He should be England manger, as he is the best there is. I don't think he will be England manager as he isn't a 'yes' man that the FA like (like Brian Clough). And I hope he doesn't become England manager as us (Bolton) will drop like a stone out of the Premiership within two seasons.

My big hope for U2's next tour is for them to play Dirty Day, but first and foremost its for them to play at the Reebok! :D

babyman said:

How many titles has Villa won?

we've won 7 league titles.

babyman said:

When was your last win?

a long time ago. 1981 to be precise. And the European Cup the year after against Bayern Munich :drool:

Sadly we've won pretty much nothing since then! (well, 2 league cup titles but they're not that important)

Some team from up north who wear red and white dominated during the ninties and now some team from down south who wear blue appear to be on the their way to dominating the next few years...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
chelsea lost :madspit:

thankfully everyone is so far behind it won't matter anyway. and man utd and liverpool have to play each other twice so that will screw up someone's chase.

i can believe we lost to boro..... :madwife:

Been keeping a low profile so far this season.. how has my team, Arsenal, gone so shite this year?

Major surgury needed. Players we need to get rid of for sure:

Pires
Ljungberg
Gilberto
Cygan

Henry (maybe). Very much depends if he wants to stay or not. At the moment his heart is not in it.

Campbell - depends on his mental state. He is not going to get much better in the coming years so maybe tis time to cut our loses.

Wenger has been too loyal to certain players who seem undropable (cue Gilberto).

So f**King frustrating.

Players in Belgium recognize that they were corrupted, they received money from Chinese bookmakers to lose matches :|

Back
Top Bottom