The Kinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Totally underrated pop band.

If you can't enjoy:

This Time Tomorrow
Lola
Celluloid Heroes
All Day and All of the Night
Waterloo Sunset
Till the End of the Day
and You Really Got Me

Then I don't know what to say.

Awesome!

My favorite songs are:
"Victoria"
"Shangi-La"
"Holiday in Waikiki"
"Waterloo Sunset"
"This is Where I Belong"
"You Really Got Me"

Nice list CIB. I'm a long time Kinks fan and Shangri-La (and This Time Tomorrow LMP) has always been one of my faves. So many great songs. I think 'Days' is probably my all time #1.

Apeman :up: Same side (on the album :huh: ) of LVPAM as This Time Tomorrow :drool:

Lola is so awesome! I used to hate that song for the L.O.L.A lola, C.O.L.A cola lyric. But I've grown to love it.

When I heard "Strangers" in the trailer for The Darjeeling Limited, I remembered how I used to own the Lola album, and that it was stolen along with a bunch of other CDs.

I need to start listening to these guys again.

Zootlesque said:
Lola is so awesome! I used to hate that song for the L.O.L.A lola, C.O.L.A cola lyric. But I've grown to love it.

Ray got in some hot water over the "drink champagne & it tastes just like coca cola" line. He had to change coca cola to cherry cola, COLA cola. :wink:

It also cast doubt upon his sexuality because of the "I'm not the world's most masculine man, but I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man, and so is Lola". Some took it as Lola also being a man, but others said Lola was just glad Ray was a man. Of course Ray was also"not the world's most physical guy, but when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine, you know my Lola". "And I'm not dumb but I can't understand why she walked like a woman, but talked like a man". :ohmy: Ray alluded to this at one of the storyteller shows he did here a few years ago and said there was no truth to it. Just sorta took on a life of it's own through the years. Of course this was around the time of Ziggy & Aladdin Sane when Bowie had announced his bisexuality. Despite the hippies and peace and love, society was much more naive about these things. I was in high school and I remember discussing it with my friends about what being bisexual actually meant. :ohmy: :wink: And this was in Hollywood!

We decided at the time that Bowie still kicked ass but we preferred the Stones. :wink:

Intedomine - At the last solo show I saw, Ray did 'Autumn Almanac'. He tried to get a sing-a-long going, but gave up because most didn't know the words. They are pretty vague in some spots. So he stopped the song and told a story about the song instead, how it was the first song in UK to go #1 that dealt entirely with gardening. It was funny,............ those solo shows were awesome. :up:

One of my favourite bands all time!

Listening to sleepwalker right now.

My favourites:

1. Muswell hillbillies
2. Preservation act 2
3. Arthur (or the decline and fall of the brittish empire)
4. Village green preservation society
5. Sleepwalker
6. Preservation act 1
7. Lola vs powerman and the moneygoround
8. Soap opera
9. Percy
10. Schoolboys in disgrace
11. Something else by...
12. Face to face

This week I'm gonna buy Misfits.

Does anyone know if there are some DVD's by the kinks, documentaries or live?

Agree with the comments above about the Kinks being a very underrated band. A great live band as well - I was lucky to see them several times in the 70s and 80s.

For the first time right now I just listened to their song "This Time Tomorrow." They have amazing lyrics. Ray kind of sounds like Bono in this song. :dance:

I am confident that I am one of the bigger Kinks fans on the board. Village Green Preservation Society is one of my 10 favorite albums, Lola, Arthur, and Face To Face are all just about as strong, really, and Kink Kontroversy is a total gem. What's not to love? :heart:

Back
Top Bottom