The Killers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is this band the best mainstream band at the moment?

mainstream music is in such a bad shape at the moment you feel guilty for liking anything that gets played on the radio

but theres something about this band which has this approach of making duran duran/ depeche mode type music which hits a note with me

initially i found the debut single 'somebody told me' too 'american pie drinking lots of beer' partyish

but then when you have solid material such as Everything Will Be Alright and Smile Like You Mean It

Well, regardless of whether people like them or not, they have gone double platinum, better than any other new rock band of the last couple years.

I love their debut and hope that they can continue to do well, but am afraid that they have little room for growth.

Don't start moaning about band index now, I think the last one was a fair while ago. :laugh:

That said I'm still quite sick of the Killers vs. Anti-Killers camps.

Personally, you can put me in the middle. I quite like the two singles but not enough to make me want to hear more.

I was just a fan of the singles.....

i found 20 bucks one day, so i thought, i might buy it, because i do like those songs....

The singles are now the least listened to songs on that album for me.... so many classic tunes.... i recommened that anyone who even slightly lkes the singles to buy the album...

Jenny Was A Friend of Mine is the best track to open an album since I Will Follow

dan_smee said:

Jenny Was A Friend of Mine is the best track to open an album since I Will Follow

Gotta love a song about a guy murdering some girl. :wink:

elevation2u said:
i cant stand the singles

I'm with you there. I think it's some of the worst, most unimaginative music to come around in a long time. The vocals are so monotone, which is probably my biggest complaint. The lyrics are awful as well.

Everything about them reeks of glossy overproduction to me. But again, the vocals are my biggest complaint. Sometimes it feels as if Ben Stein is their singer.

good band but i'm so tired of the singles. hear them every week at this indie club i go to.

'On top' is a great tune

I just found a handful of B-sides, and they're not bad. "Under the Gun" is the best, with its chorus of "kill me now, kill me now, kill me now." I think even Killers haters can get behind that.

The Killers are good approximators. The keyboard blast in "Mr. Brightside" is an excellent approximation of early '80's new wave keyboard stuff. The guitar solo in "Smile Like You Mean It" is an excellent approximation of Boy era Edge. The list goes on and on. As of now they're ok but, these guys have alot to prove. Approximation will only carry you so far.

meeeh.
i have a much different opinion of killers compared to others i suppose. i never really thought about making a comparison of the Killers with U2??.... either with coldplay and U2.. :reject:.. the thought has never really crossed my mind.

but back to the topic. i really like the killers because they're such a unique group that's hit the mainstream yet (all you hear these days are pop songs with the same exact sounds/rhythms). the killers kind of remind me of duran duran for some odd reason. but :shrug: we all have our own opinions.

I like All these things that I've done. You should hear me singing it in the shower, perfection:lol: Parts of it remind me of the Beatles. I wouldn't really compare them to U2 but I like some of their songs. I'd love to see them live.

I love The Killers the new song they are playing live are great...All The Pretty Faces is brilliant..i always thought Brandon Flowers had a good strong voice (not brilliant but good enough)....i also think the lyrics are pretty good...they are just story telling songs they aren't meant to be Running to Stand Still brilliant imagery lyrics....

Plus their influences are not Duran Duran...they say that actually they are more influenced by U2, The Cure, The Smiths and even the Stones....and i shall be seeing them in oh under 2 weeks time:wink:

i havent listened to them in a while, i guess i got sort of sick of them. still, i do like them. the singles are annoying, but there are some good songs on there. the best are jenny was a friend of mine, midnight show, and all these things that ive done.

i think theyre good, but they need to do something very different with their second album if im going to buy it.

1stepcloser said:
the killers are better than duran duran

i disagree, and i think many others would as well.

the killers are hardly going to have an impact on an entire generation like duran duran did. the videos, the image, the music - it was all new when duran duran did it. the killers are simply recycling it. it's pretty boring, actually.

and i would be very surprised if the killers were still touring 20 years from now.

I lovvvveee the killers alot, I was going to see them in may...but then my dad wouldn't give me a ride to Molson amp. in Toronto, anyway I love the band quite a bit...believe me natalie is my fav track.

bonosgirl84 said:

i disagree, and i think many others would as well.

the killers are hardly going to have an impact on an entire generation like duran duran did. the videos, the image, the music - it was all new when duran duran did it. the killers are simply recycling it. it's pretty boring, actually.

and i would be very surprised if the killers were still touring 20 years from now.

the main difference however being the killers have better songs than duran duran do. duran duran were so cheesy it's untrue (although Brandons pink jacket doesn't do him any favours).

Killers are awesome! Come on! Their album is amazing. Any album that has 50+% of good songs is a worthy album.

perhaps their sophomore album may interest me, as far as their first one...it's too poppy, too mainstream even for me...and that's not saying much
image.gif

I don't like them that much but, I like there new song "All These Things I've Done." I am watching the music video now. It is brainchild of Anton Corbijn (if you don't know who he is and his relationship with U2, you should really learn). It's very strange, almost "El Topo" like, with a bit of "Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" (just see the video and you will know what I mean.) Also, I was just wondering if anybody knows the names of the actresses who play the assassins. All in all, I enjoyed it.

I've liked their singles progressively more. I didn't care too much for Somebody Told Me, then I kind of caught on with Mr. Brightside, and now I really like this new single, All These Things That I've Done.

I saw them perform live at the MuchMusic Video Awards and they seem to be a decent enough live act as well.

jkid said:
I am watching the music video now. It is brainchild of Anton Corbijn (if you don't know who he is and his relationship with U2, you should really learn).

Ja, mein fuhrer...! :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom