The Killers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Just bought their album Hot Fuss. Its an ok album, but most of the songs do not match the first two singles, "Somebody Told Me" and "Mr. Brightside".

Something about this band reminds of Duran Duran. Their sound has this early 80s New Wave feel to it.

Has anyone here seen them live? They are from the UK but live in Las Vegas?

Any Thoughts?

STING2 said:

Something about this band reminds of Duran Duran. Their sound has this early 80s New Wave feel to it.

They remind me nothing of Duran Duran, but they totally have an 80s feel to them which is why I like them :D

I love this band. Midnight Show (Drive Faster) esspecially feels like Duran Duran to me. I saw them play at House of Blues in Las Vegas. They put on a grat show.

The Killers are actually from America (Utah is where alot of them are from, and Las Vegas is where they formed) - the lead singer only chooses to sing as if he were from the UK.

One of the best debuts I've ever heard. Absolutely infectious. I saw them awhile back in Tampa and the live show is fun but not perfect. They're still new and have plenty of time to perfect their showmanship.

Would everyone here agree that "Mr. Brightside" and "Somebody Told Me" are the two best songs on the album, or is there are another song that you would put above these two singles?

I love those two songs but also :heart: "Andy You're A Star" and "Midnight Show." I love the whole album, really.

The Killers are wonderful. I love every single song from that album...they are indeed very very 80's, they actually remind me a lot of U2. Listen to the helicopter guitar effect on Somebody Told Me, same kinda thing Edge uses a lot in songs such as New Year's Day. Or Midnight Show...that whole song screams Boy, except perhaps the lyrics :p In Q magazine The Killers said they thought they were the best band in the world besides U2. That may be a bit overreaching, but hey, ambition is good, and they didn't put themselves ABOVE U2...they've said they are U2 fans numerous times actually.

My favourite tracks off the album are Smile Like You Mean It, Somebody Told Me, On Top, and Midnight Show. Every song is good though...a solid debut. I have hopes for these guys.

STING2 said:
Would everyone here agree that "Mr. Brightside" and "Somebody Told Me" are the two best songs on the album, or is there are another song that you would put above these two singles?
"Somebody Told Me" always struck me as one of the weaker songs on that album (even before I knew it was the single, so I don't think I've been biased by its popularity).

"Smile Like You Mean It" and especially "All These Things That I've Done" whup it. But yeah, it's a solid enough album that even the weaker songs are pretty good.

Last edited:
it is a great album...my favorite song is "all these things that i've done"...the i've got soul but i'm not a soldier part is so beautiful

STING2 said:

I agree that "Somebody Told Me" and "Mr. Brightside" are more radio-friendly, and therefore better singles, but I also like "Jenny was a Friend of Mine" and "Believe Me Natalie"

AtomicBono said:
In Q magazine The Killers said they thought they were the best band in the world besides U2. That may be a bit overreaching, but hey, ambition is good, and they didn't put themselves ABOVE U2...

And hey, besides, when U2 were starting out, didn't Bono on occasion say things about replacing bands and how U2 were a great band and whatnot? If a band really wants the fame, like you said, they need the ambition and the belief that they're good enough-it's been proven in the past with other bands that that works. So I can understand young bands saying that kind of stuff.

Originally posted by AtomicBono
they've said they are U2 fans numerous times actually.

That's cool :). They've clearly got good taste :D.

I don't have this actual CD, but I do like "Somebody Told Me" (the lyrics in the chorus crack me up-first time I heard that I was like, "Wait...what now?"). "Mr. Bright Side" is good, too. And whenever I see the video for "Somebody Told Me", I keep getting the feeling that the lead singer has watched the occasional footage of Mick Jagger from the early days, 'cause he reminds me a lot of him as far as his mannerisms, and even in some ways his whole look, go.

Angela

They definitely sound like Duran Duran at times, especially Smile Like You Mean It. I like the album but the 2nd half is relatively weak and monotonous.

I really like them, they are talented and they are sorta unique, but to me honest I thought I would enjoy their C.D. a little more. But I do really like a lot of their songs. But I am not too fond of "Mr Brightside," Andy" "Nataile."

Last edited:
I picked this CD up without really hearing anything but "Somebody Told Me" and I was pleasantly surprised at what I heard. The whole 80's-retro thing drew me in....

bsp77 said:
They definitely sound like Duran Duran at times, especially Smile Like You Mean It. I like the album but the 2nd half is relatively weak and monotonous.

I agree, the second half is a bit weak.

typhoon said:
"Smile Like You Mean It" and especially "All These Things That I've Done" whup it. But yeah, it's a solid enough album that even the weaker songs are pretty good.

I'd have to agree. Those are probably my two favorite songs on the album, and I'd add "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine."

I bought this album because it was on sale for cheap. I didn't even like the single, but I trusted those who were raving about it here. I, too, was pleasantly surprised. Hot Fuss will be in my top ten of the year, no question.

I love the album! I was them live a couple of weeks ago (and did an interview with them) and I wasn't too impressed. Short show (just 45 minutes including the encore), not very inspired and lots of mistakes. Maybe it's just because they had been touring for 16 weeks in a row without one day off. I'll give them another chance when they come back, but my expectations won't be that high anymore.

Back
Top Bottom