The Killers - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2004, 11:55 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:55 PM
The Killers

Just bought their album Hot Fuss. Its an ok album, but most of the songs do not match the first two singles, "Somebody Told Me" and "Mr. Brightside".

Something about this band reminds of Duran Duran. Their sound has this early 80s New Wave feel to it.

Has anyone here seen them live? They are from the UK but live in Las Vegas?

Any Thoughts?

Old 12-05-2004, 02:55 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 02:55 PM
I saw them when they opened for Morrissey, they were good. This band has potential they better not blow it.

Old 12-05-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:55 PM
Re: The Killers

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Something about this band reminds of Duran Duran. Their sound has this early 80s New Wave feel to it.

They remind me nothing of Duran Duran, but they totally have an 80s feel to them which is why I like them
Old 12-05-2004, 03:07 PM   #4
Refugee

I think they are the next Duran Duran if they keep it up.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:33 PM   #5
Refugee

I love this band. Midnight Show (Drive Faster) esspecially feels like Duran Duran to me. I saw them play at House of Blues in Las Vegas. They put on a grat show.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:41 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:55 PM
The Killers are actually from America (Utah is where alot of them are from, and Las Vegas is where they formed) - the lead singer only chooses to sing as if he were from the UK.

One of the best debuts I've ever heard. Absolutely infectious. I saw them awhile back in Tampa and the live show is fun but not perfect. They're still new and have plenty of time to perfect their showmanship.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:20 PM   #7
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
(Utah is where alot of them are from, and Las Vegas is where they formed)

I did not know that. I must know more.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:49 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Would everyone here agree that "Mr. Brightside" and "Somebody Told Me" are the two best songs on the album, or is there are another song that you would put above these two singles?
Old 12-05-2004, 05:13 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:55 PM
I love those two songs but also "Andy You're A Star" and "Midnight Show." I love the whole album, really.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:25 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

The Killers are wonderful. I love every single song from that album...they are indeed very very 80's, they actually remind me a lot of U2. Listen to the helicopter guitar effect on Somebody Told Me, same kinda thing Edge uses a lot in songs such as New Year's Day. Or Midnight Show...that whole song screams Boy, except perhaps the lyrics In Q magazine The Killers said they thought they were the best band in the world besides U2. That may be a bit overreaching, but hey, ambition is good, and they didn't put themselves ABOVE U2...they've said they are U2 fans numerous times actually.

My favourite tracks off the album are Smile Like You Mean It, Somebody Told Me, On Top, and Midnight Show. Every song is good though...a solid debut. I have hopes for these guys.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:45 PM   #11
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:55 PM
Quote:
Would everyone here agree that "Mr. Brightside" and "Somebody Told Me" are the two best songs on the album, or is there are another song that you would put above these two singles?
"Somebody Told Me" always struck me as one of the weaker songs on that album (even before I knew it was the single, so I don't think I've been biased by its popularity).

"Smile Like You Mean It" and especially "All These Things That I've Done" whup it. But yeah, it's a solid enough album that even the weaker songs are pretty good.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:58 PM   #12
War Child

it is a great album...my favorite song is "all these things that i've done"...the i've got soul but i'm not a soldier part is so beautiful
Old 12-05-2004, 10:01 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

meh.

certainly not bad though.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:11 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I agree that "Somebody Told Me" and "Mr. Brightside" are more radio-friendly, and therefore better singles, but I also like "Jenny was a Friend of Mine" and "Believe Me Natalie"
Old 12-05-2004, 11:36 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono
In Q magazine The Killers said they thought they were the best band in the world besides U2. That may be a bit overreaching, but hey, ambition is good, and they didn't put themselves ABOVE U2...
And hey, besides, when U2 were starting out, didn't Bono on occasion say things about replacing bands and how U2 were a great band and whatnot? If a band really wants the fame, like you said, they need the ambition and the belief that they're good enough-it's been proven in the past with other bands that that works. So I can understand young bands saying that kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono
they've said they are U2 fans numerous times actually.
That's cool . They've clearly got good taste .

I don't have this actual CD, but I do like "Somebody Told Me" (the lyrics in the chorus crack me up-first time I heard that I was like, "Wait...what now?"). "Mr. Bright Side" is good, too. And whenever I see the video for "Somebody Told Me", I keep getting the feeling that the lead singer has watched the occasional footage of Mick Jagger from the early days, 'cause he reminds me a lot of him as far as his mannerisms, and even in some ways his whole look, go.

Angela