The KFC Pocket Rocket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zonelistener said:

BELI.....they aren't exactly scones...they are a bit more fluffy (and, because it is the ole' US of A, greasy).

Biscuits are for all times of the day...and are an important cultural piece in the Southern States.

and check Calluna's sig.

Oh, sugar AND grease. That's a different story then :sick:

USA food is mocked publicly at parties here. Truely it is. I know you don't believe me but we make fun of people from the USA adding sugar to every meal. Just thought I would share that in case people are under the delusion that USA food is internationally recognised cuisine or sumfin.

Why am I in the KFC thread?

Why is Palace eating that shit?

PS Is that what Callunas signature is about? A biscuit here is what USA people might call a cookie. :crack:

american cuisine recognized? :lol:

I hope you weren't thinking I was trying to defend the so called American Cuisine.

I am trying to think if there are any establishments I have ever heard of that feature "aussie cuisine" - :wink:

Oh, no, I knew you werent defending it, Zoney, lol.

There are places that have Australian "cuisine"? Is it BBQ shark? Or BBQ kangaroo? Or BBQ emu? How about raw witchetty grubs?

PS USA oranges are very nice :up: (raw, without sugar or grease, I just had a thought :ohmy: )

zonelistener said:
BELI.....they aren't exactly scones...they are a bit more fluffy (and, because it is the ole' US of A, greasy).

No, you don't understand! What we call biscuits is what they call scones! I went to a high tea once and they said there would be tea and scones but they weren't scones they were biscuits! Notiti made biscuits with ham for her friends one night and they all said they were scones not biscuits.

This is made all the more confusing by the fact that what they call biscuits, we call cookies.

beli said:
There are places that have Australian "cuisine"? Is it BBQ shark? Or BBQ kangaroo? Or BBQ emu? How about raw witchetty grubs?

PS USA oranges are very nice :up: (raw, without sugar or grease, I just had a thought :ohmy: )
well, there's a chain here that likes to say it's australian, but their food tastes the same as everyone else's. they're called outback steakhouse.

when you say usa oranges do you mean california or florida oranges? there's a big difference, and your answer will depend on whether or not i can speak to you ever again or not. :D

KhanadaRhodes said:

well, there's a chain here that likes to say it's australian, but their food tastes the same as everyone else's. they're called outback steakhouse.

Outback Steakhouse is NOT Australian! It's just a stupid gimmick. It's like saying Disneyworld is authentic European.

Beli, the only "Aussie food" places I've seen here sell meat pies and sausage rolls.

Calluna said:

No, you don't understand! What we call biscuits is what they call scones! I went to a high tea once and they said there would be tea and scones but they weren't scones they were biscuits! Notiti made biscuits with ham for her friends one night and they all said they were scones not biscuits.

This is made all the more confusing by the fact that what they call biscuits, we call cookies.

USA biscuit = Australian scone
USA cookie = Australian biscuit
USA scone = Australian ?

:crack:

beli said:
USA scone = Australian ?

here's a pic of what we call a scone:

766-raisin-orange-golden-raisin-scone.jpg

beli said:

USA scone = Australian ?

I can't really answer that one because I don't think there is an Australian equivalent to our idea of scones. They are kind of like a firmer biscuit that sometimes has raisins (sultanas) or currants in them and they are usually triangular in shape instead of round.

KhanadaRhodes said:

did i say they were? no, i said they claim to be but their food is the same as everyone else's. jesus. :|

Did I say you said you said they were?? No. I was merely explaining myself. Taking things too seriously once again??

PS: Khanada's pic is a good example of our idea of a scone.

And sultanas are what Beli would call raisins.

Last edited:
Calluna said:
Did I say you said you said they were?? No. I was merely explaining myself. Taking things too seriously once again??
so basically you quoted what i said to say the same exact thing? how about you not bring up previous issues in this thread, especially since it has nothing to do with this thread.

Calluna said:

I can't really answer that one because I don't think there is an Australian equivalent to our idea of scones. They are kind of like a firmer biscuit that sometimes has raisins (sultanas) or currants in them and they are usually triangular in shape instead of round.

Do you purchase them in a packet from the supermarket or from a bakery?

beli said:

Do you purchase them in a packet from the supermarket or from a bakery?

Well, they can be purchased from certain bakeries or cafes but most of the time people make them themselves from scratch. They taste best when they are fresh.

beli said:

Is it like an Australian scone ie just flour, eggs, milk...

Sort of but they usually have butter, baking powder and currants or sultanas as well. I often use buttermilk in place of regular milk because it makes them softer and lighter but that is just a personal thing.

I'd say that everything on that website is pretty accurate, particularly the sweet/savoury thing. Notiti's Australian boyfriend used to give us a hard time about wanting sweet things for breakfast. He said donuts and pastries are for desert not breakfast and he would encourage us to have a ham and tasty cheese croissant instead of something sweet.

Calluna said:

Sort of but they usually have butter, baking powder and currants or sultanas as well. I often use buttermilk in place of regular milk because it makes them softer and lighter but that is just a personal thing.

I wonder if an USA scone is similar to an Australian rockcake.....

Calluna said:

I'd say that everything on that website is pretty accurate, particularly the sweet/savoury thing. Notiti's Australian boyfriend used to give us a hard time about wanting sweet things for breakfast. He said donuts and pastries are for desert not breakfast and he would encourage us to have a ham and tasty cheese croissant instead of something sweet.

Donuts for breakfast? That does sound too sweet for me. ha, ha, I think I would die of starvation if I went to the USA. People from the USA often comment that Australian milkshakes are disgusting as they're too bland. Each to their own.

The odd thing is we are comparing foods from the two countries with the fattest citizens so we're obviously both "wrong'. lol.

Back
Top Bottom